Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone storage full

Options
  • 01-07-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

I keep getting this notification. Sometimes I can't open what's app or emails because of lack of storage. However I have very little apps/things stored on the phone. It says in settings I've used 11.8gb of a 16gb iPhone 6 but if you add up the apps individually it only comes to around 2gb of data used. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage - Manage Storage should give you a break down of what's using the most space. Usually music or photos. Are you saying this is inaccurate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In your photo albums there's a "Recently Deleted" folder that might be filled if you've recently deleted a whole load of stuff. You can empty that permanently and get that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Thank you both. Yes I looked at the breakdown and it was inaccurate. What I used in photos and apps was approx 2gb when you added it up. So I backed up everything to the iCloud this evening, then reset the phone as a new one. Downloaded it all from iCloud again and now it shows I have over 8gb of space. Thank god it worked. It was driving me insane getting the storage full notification every 2 minutes.

Dades wrote: »
    In your photo albums there's a "Recently Deleted" folder that might be filled if you've recently deleted a whole load of stuff. You can empty that permanently and get that space.

Yep it was empty too. I have no idea how it was showing that the memory was full. I have very little on my phone and my photos are optimised for storage. Anyway as outlined above I got it sorted. Thank you.

Husband just did the same to his iPhone and gained 9gb of storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Also look at whatsapp if you have it. It was taking up 4.5GB in my phone and I've gotten it down to 1.4GB by deleting videos that were sent in groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

This always frees up about 1gb; go to the iTunes Store, find a Lord of the Rings movie, click Rent, after a moment you’ll get a notification that you don’t have enough space and an option to go to Settings. When you go you’ll see what’s been freed up. Try it a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

naasrd wrote: »
    This always frees up about 1gb; go to the iTunes Store, find a Lord of the Rings movie, click Rent, after a moment you’ll get a notification that you don’t have enough space and an option to go to Settings. When you go you’ll see what’s been freed up. Try it a few times.

Pretty sure this doesn't work in iOS 10. Or rather it does but I hope you like LOTR because you will have just paid to rent it. This was always a fairly pointless trick anyway. Since the OS knows that data is purgeable it can free it up anytime. The problem is data that it doesn't know it can delete because third party apps are mislabelling it.

Advertisement