Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse plants dying?

Options
  • 01-07-2017 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi, hopefully some kind soul can help me.

Basically, I have a heated greenhouse, not overly big, maybe 8 foot long.
    Tomatoes and cucumbers growing.

At first glance everything looks fine. Green and bushy plants. But when you look closer there are a LOT of branches on the tomatoes where some leaves have died and when you pull them away they turn to dust/mould. And some branches where you can see some mould and literally break the branches off with your little finger.
    So I'm guessing some sort of mould infestation.
    I probably put too many plants in, overcrowded. So I dumped a few plants and picked off infected limbs and gave the plants more room to breathe.
    Incidentally the cucumbers are 100% fine, its just the (beefsteak) tomatoes.

Is there anything I can do to save them? I'd be gutted to lose the whole crop.
    Lots of small green tomatoes so far and loads more flowers.

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Have you pinched out the side shoots and deleafed up to the first flower truss? This will help with mould issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

lk67 wrote: »
    Have you pinched out the side shoots and deleafed up to the first flower truss? This will help with mould issue...

Thanks, I'll deleaf up to 1st flower truss like you said. I hadn't done that, I had only been picking off the side shoots.

Do you think the plants could recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Hopefully ... remove any dead leaves and make sure you get some air circulation. Watch the watering too, damp but not wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Tomatoes should be watered without getting the leaves wet, i.e. only water the roots. They need to be kept well ventilated as they don't like humidity, and develop blight in humid, still conditions, whereas cucumbers are the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Thanks to you both for the replies and advice.

It has now turned out that the cause is botrytis/grey mould. I took a few bits to garden centre and they "diagnosed" it for the want of a better phrase.

But they didnt seem to know what I can do.

So does this change anything or do I still follow the above steps and hope for the best? Or should I now admit defeat and bin the lot?
    I looked it up online and it sounds grim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement