Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

55" or larger TV

• 01-07-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

So i am planning to buy a 4K TV.
    Requirements:
    1. 4K or better
    2. Has inbuilt apps like netflix, YouTube, etc.
    3. Able to connect my Android tv box
    4. Budget 800 euros max.
    5. Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd get one with 4 hdmi ports, some only have 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some TVs upscale better than others as they'll have different processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I'd get a decent warranty with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Why do we need so many hdmi reports?
    I'd get one with 4 hdmi ports, some only have 2.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hisense from amazon great reviews

Can i post same post in other forum?

MOD: CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE MY POST TO THE FOLLOWING SECTION PLEASE?
    MayoForSam wrote: »

Any particular Hisense model?

A colleague told me Hisense tv loose pixels after a while? Anyone experienced something similar? They have great prices though
    judeboy101 wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Any particular Hisense model?

A colleague told me Hisense tv loose pixels after a while? Anyone experienced something similar? They have great prices though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01GPIM4MC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498938746&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hisense%2B4k%2Btv&dpPl=1&dpID=51iniJhAkJL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do we need so many hdmi reports?

If you have a Sky/Cable box, Android box, and a games console or two it's a pain to have to go disconnecting cables every time you want to use them if you only have 2 ports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sky box and DVD player (for kids DVDs) will probably take up 2 ports straight away, even though Miracast is inbuilt in most TVs now a Chromecast is extremely handy, that's a third, throw in an Android box and Game Console and you've 5 ports needed.

I got a Sharp 55" 4K TV in Tesco for €400 a couple of months ago, it's a top notch TV and I'm watching it now, saying that I don't use it much. I think this is the 1 https://www.tesco.com/direct/sharp-lc-55cfe6241k-smart-full-hd-55-inch-tv-with-freeview-hd/551-9837.prd?source=others

On the reviews it says there are cooling fan/chirping noise issues with this model.

Any other reasonable options?

Is considering a 1080p TV a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If you have a Sky/Cable box, Android box, and a games console or two it's a pain to have to go disconnecting cables every time you want to use them if you only have 2 ports.

If you have an AV Receiver (a must IMO with modern TV's as their speakers are absolute pants) then you'll get away with just one HDMI input on the TV. Even a decent soundbar may facilitate this (all your devices connect to the AVR / Soundbar and just one hdmi to the TV).

Ok so i must look for AV receiver and ask them if a soundbar can be connected.

I agree that these new TVs have terrible speakers
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    If you have an AV Receiver (a must IMO with modern TV's as their speakers are absolute pants) then you'll get away with just one HDMI input on the TV. Even a decent soundbar may facilitate this (all your devices connect to the AVR / Soundbar and just one hdmi to the TV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ok so i must look for AV receiver and ask them if a soundbar can be connected.

I agree that these new TVs have terrible speakers

It would be Soundbar OR AVR + set of speakers.
    The latter option generally much more expensive and more involved / messy in terms of setup (a lot more wires to hide). Soundbar would be very tidy and neat and easy to setup but obviously doesn't give anything like the flexibility or sound quality that an AVR / separate speakers would give.

The likes of Richersounds (they have a forum on here) would give you some options to mull over.

HDR is pointless unless it meets the "Ultra HD Premium"/"UHD premium" standard certified.
    So if you really want proper HDR (which is impressive and will be more important over the coming years) you need to go for a tv with that certification (1000 nits brightness and high contrast)

So guys i found a TV with good reviews and price.

Hisense H55M3300 55 Inch 4K UHD Smart LED TV

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5323823/Trail/searchtext>Hisense+55.htm

It has 4 hdmi ports, 3 usb, AV socket (will it connect to sound bar?), good energy rating A.

Any important feature missing on this TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

I know u said 55" but consider the Samsung curved 49" Ultra hd 4K smart TV €750 in did Elec I just got one picture quality is nothing short of breath taking even black and white movies look amazing super TV at very reasonable price .

Yea amazon not delivering these to Ireland at the moment.

Richersounds.ie got limited hisense selection
    Skerries wrote: »
    cheaper here but not sure on delivery

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know.
    Actually not keen for a curved tv.
    Will keep an eye on did elec.
    snickers wrote: »
    I know u said 55" but consider the Samsung curved 49" Ultra hd 4K smart TV €750 in did Elec I just got one picture quality is nothing short of breath taking even black and white movies look amazing super TV at very reasonable price .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Check out richer sounds. Give them a call even, since peats shut down, there's nobody better informed on TVs and home entertainment. They usually have excellent deals on warranty and pricing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Have this. Quality is exceptional

Where did you buy??
    Have this. Quality is exceptional

I have posted on richer sounds forum on boards.

Their website dont seem to have this 55 inch model.
    I agree they offer 6 years guarantee
    tedpan wrote: »
    Check out richer sounds. Give them a call even, since peats shut down, there's nobody better informed on TVs and home entertainment. They usually have excellent deals on warranty and pricing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hear good things about the Hisense though I would advise you to check out what it's like for normal TV with Sky/Virgin etc. Some sets will have excellent 4K quality but upscaling will fall flat on its face and look exceptionally poor. Not saying Hisense does, but it's worth investigating.

I got a 55" 4K Samsung in Curry's the other day for €849 and it took me about 20 hours of research before I made that decision! I would not rush into it.

I have been doing the research for a while now.

But again will not experience the reality bit unless i get it or hear from someone who has it.

Thanks
    I hear good things about the Hisense though I would advise you to check out what it's like for normal TV with Sky/Virgin etc. Some sets will have excellent 4K quality but upscaling will fall flat on its face and look exceptionally poor. Not saying Hisense does, but it's worth investigating.

I got a 55" 4K Samsung in Curry's the other day for €849 and it took me about 20 hours of research before I made that decision! I would not rush into it.

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202450-58kec730.aspx

Planning to get this one. Suits our budget and it's 58"

Anyone had bad experience with this set?
    Can you check if something important is missing on this? I am not upto date on tv tech

Advertisement