Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute times from Wicklow town

Options
  • 01-07-2017 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

folks, could anyone give me a steer on commuting times from Wicklow town to Stephens green area of town by bus during rush hours? Thinking of moving to Wicklow town and took a ramble around there today. A few folk we talked to said the train is a waste of time. None of them commute on a daily basis to Dublin so just hoping I could get a steer from someone on here. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I can’t comment on the bus or rail option, but I don’t think the train is as bad as people make out.

Commuting by car - I drive from Glenealy To Dundrum each day and it is about 35 minutes, if you get up and on the road before 7am. Coming home in the evening and the M50/M11 is very slow from 16:30.

If you can drive, you might consider driving to the luas park and ride at carrickmines and getting the luas into stephens green. If your workplace can get you the taxsaver commuter ticket it might not be expensive.

Also I’d repost this thread on the "Commuting and Transport" forum to get additional answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dogmatix
    That's exactly what I wanted to find out Panjadrums, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lupo

I live in Wicklow town, right behind the Grand Hotel, and I work in Sandyford, so I can't give you any real info about the last stretch of your trip, but as far as getting to Carrickmines and getting the Luas, for example, it looks a lot like a good idea to me.

In the morning (I leave my house between 6.45 and 7) it takes me an average of 1/2 hour (a little less in summer when schools are closed).
    Afternoons are trickier. I leave work between 4.40 and 5.15 and most of the times there are already delays around junction 5, Bray. When it's really bad I take the back road (through Stepaside village). Unless the jam on the M11 is really really bad it takes me the same time to get home, but at least I'm driving. Plus, there's a cheap gas station (the scalp) on the way. You can get back on the M11 at Bray or Graystones and drive past the bottleneck in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Cheers Lupo. Good to know. I'm an early riser and can start work at 8 so no worries there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Also if you want a night on the tear in Dublin,just either stay with friends that night or get a b&b
    It's not that you'll be doing it that often

Advertisement