Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my 4 year old has a constant runny nose!!

Options
  • 02-07-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My 4 year old always had a constant runny nose i think hes only ever had 2 whole weeks without one ever...dont think its hayfever or anything like that because he has no other symptoms and is well in himself plus he has it all year round...have been to the doctor but he just keeps telling me to put him on a antihistamine but we have tried most that are available for his age and he refuses to take them because of the taste..dont blame him most are horrible tasting..have tried just about everything so any advise would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has he seen an ent consultant

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've had the same issue with my two boys. They don't taste great in fairness. I mixed the antihistamine with a little blackcurrant squash and they take it with no issues now. My youngest who just turned 2 sounds very similar to your little guy. Constant runny nose, all year round. He was vomiting regularly at night due to post nasal drip. I spent my life chasing him around with a tissue. I had been using zirtek for months with little or no effect but I recently started him on phenergan after reading that first generation antihistamines are more effective. He is a different child now. So much better. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can get your son to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shivers09

I've had the same issue with my two boys. They don't taste great in fairness. I mixed the antihistamine with a little blackcurrant squash and they take it with no issues now. My youngest who just turned 2 sounds very similar to your little guy. Constant runny nose, all year round. He was vomiting regularly at night due to post nasal drip. I spent my life chasing him around with a tissue. I had been using zirtek for months with little or no effect but I recently started him on phenergan after reading that first generation antihistamines are more effective. He is a different child now. So much better. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can get your son to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Do this get a referral to a ENT consultant and also get tested for allergies. Hayfever different types, animal's, dust etc. Your GP can do a form and do bloods sample or direct do hospital for same.

Does your son get ear aches or other infections in throat, sinus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Same issue here with my 2 year old. Went to an ENT and in the process of working on a solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lucylu12

No my doctors usual advise is he will grow out of it witch is annoying.

Shivers82 wrote: »

Thanks for your reply my doctor usual advise is he will grow out of it buts hes 4 now and no sign of it letting up...i put him back on zirtex last week by mixing it like youself but it hasnt had any effect at all...can phenergan be got over the counter or is perscription.im seeing my doctor today im going to mention it to him again but im sure ill get the same response as usual.

MAJJ wrote: »
    Do this get a referral to a ENT consultant and also get tested for allergies. Hayfever different types, animal's, dust etc. Your GP can do a form and do bloods sample or direct do hospital for same.

Does your son get ear aches or other infections in throat, sinus?
    He hasnt in a while but he used to get ear infections all the time at least once a month at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

lucylu12 wrote:
    No my doctors usual advise is he will grow out of it witch is annoying.

Have you gotten a second opinion? I think I would at this stage especially if your Dr keeps telling you the same thing without doing any further investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Wheat causes my nose to run. Dairy will do it to my 5 and 7 year old. It's a sure sign of an allergy or intolerance. Antihistamines are for allergy, be it in the air or in our food. You need to look at his diet first and figure out if there's something there causing it.

My 2 year old gets eczema from banana, pears, tomatoes, wool, red pepper, oranges and dairy. Wheat and white potato give her pains in her belly and runny nappies. This is all just from taking note of what she has eaten and watching her reactions. Speak to your gp about allergy testing and in the meantime track his diet and see if anything in particular makes his nose more runny.
    If you need any help pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

My young man was prescribed betnesol for a nasal drip by a registrar at his hospital- it does work but any time we try to wean him off it the snotty nose comes back. It's not a long term solution as it is steroid based and we are waiting on our ent appointment

Advertisement