Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem hornet

Options
  • 02-07-2017 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi. I recently purchased a second hand 22 hornet that was left into a gun dealer to be sold.i took it out to zero it and gun worked fine.i was out last night for a fox and when I loaded a bullet and took off the safety and proceeded to pull the trigger.......no bang.i then put the safety back on and took it off again and the gun then decided to fire of its own accord.so in my opinion it is not operating safely.my question is where do I stand now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Return it to the dealer for fixing or refund.Simples. It comes unde consumer law like anything else and it doesn't sound like a major issue [albeit a very dangerous one] to fix sounds like a weak sear spring or full of dirt mechanism
    Again,this is why I say the gun dealer/gun smith should be to seperate entities one a guild apprenticeship.This gun should have been checked over for faults by a gunsmith before it was put out for sale.selling on a defective firearm and you had an accident would have left the GD wide open to to a case of criminal negligence along with selling faulty goods.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Return it to the dealer for fixing or refund.Simples. It comes unde consumer law like anything else and it doesn't sound like a major issue [albeit a very dangerous one] to fix sounds like a weak sear spring or full of dirt mechanism
    Again,this is why I say the gun dealer/gun smith should be to seperate entities one a guild apprenticeship.This gun should have been checked over for faults by a gunsmith before it was put out for sale.selling on a defective firearm and you had an accident would have left the GD wide open to to a case of criminal negligence along with selling faulty goods.

Thanks for the reply Grizzly 45.i will ring tomorrow and state my case.an unsafe gun has no place in any cabinet.its a bit frightening when it goes off on its own accord.thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

What brand is the rifle ? If it's a cz, it would be an easy fix I would think.

gunny123 wrote: »
    What brand is the rifle ? If it's a cz, it would be an easy fix I would think.

Yes it's a cz.

stevep1018 wrote: »
    Yes it's a cz.

No problem getting parts so, and they were never a troublesome rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would advise against trying to fix it yourself however simple it may seem...
    You are ultimately responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle of that rifle, if you fix it yourself without understanding it completely. And you were to have an accident i dont think the courts would look too kindly upon that.
    Take it back to the dealer and document it all so you cover yourself in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Sure it wasn't the ammo, what type of ammo were you shooting anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How soon after putting the safety on did you take it back off? Could have been a hang fire.

Rifle returned this evening.was using hornady vmax so they ain't the problem.got a refund so now the search begins for a new gun again.not sure I have the energy.i seem to have lost interest after this escapade

Strider wrote: »
    How soon after putting the safety on did you take it back off? Could have been a hang fire.

Waited 2-3 minutes.gun refused to fire a couple of rounds again for me lastnight. Switched ammo but to no avail.

• Advertisement

Rifle returned this evening.was using hornady vmax so they ain't the problem.got a refund so now the search begins for a new gun again.not sure I have the energy.i seem to have lost interest after this escapade

Don't give up, loads of cz hornets out there, they sort of fell out of favour when the .223's were licenced here. Ring around a few dealers and i would be extremely surprised if you couldn't find a few at least.

P.S. eight for sale in the link below.

https://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/rifles.html?gun_make=273

Don't give up, loads of cz hornets out there, they sort of fell out of favour when the .223's were licenced here. Ring around a few dealers and i would be extremely surprised if you couldn't find a few at least.

P.S. eight for sale in the link below.

https://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/rifles.html?gun_make=273

I did today and they were either way over priced or almost vintage.i have one lad to get back to me on a 223 so fingers crossed.thanks for the link.

I did today and they were either way over priced or almost vintage.i have one lad to get back to me on a 223 so fingers crossed.thanks for the link.

.223 ammo is cheaper and easier to get now, as well as having a better selection.

Bought a 223 this evening from Ray Sampson(well actually Mary).very tidy gun.great price and great service. hopefully better luck with this one.now just the wait AGAIN for the license......

Bought a 223 this evening from Ray Sampson(well actually Mary).very tidy gun.great price and great service. hopefully better luck with this one.now just the wait AGAIN for the license......

What did you go for ? CZ ?

What did you go for ? CZ ?

Yeah the old faithful cz.ammo is cheap and plentiful as you said so I'm happy

Advertisement