Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem on the Shannon

Options
  • 02-07-2017 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

I have mentioned before about some practices which are ongoing on my local stretch of the Shannon. Between large groups of anglers clearing out small rivers of every species they can catch big or small , leaving night lines , leaving litter everywhere and the latest practice of stealing small boats for the day then returning them hoping nobody noticed.

If i mention where they are from on boards then i will be accused of racism. But the fact is they are Eastern Europeans working in local factories who have nothing do do at the weekend so spend it fishing. Which is fine in itself but with the above issues i mentioned being rampant pc culture needs to be put aside, heads pulled out of the sand and something needs to be done.

The local fishery officers are well aware of what is happening but with a staff of only 4 or 5 are almost powerless to stop it. They have confiscated fishing rods and tackle numerous times from these criminals who dont care about our laws or respect our waterways and fish stocks.

I can bet at least a large majority of the followers of this forum have either seen or heard about similar happening at the areas they fish.

If the mods on this forum are fishermen themselves they will know this to be true also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi OP. If you started this thread without having to base it on the nationality of the individuals concerned then it would possibly have been allowed develop. However, given the theme you seem intent on introducing to the topic, the charter is clear and the thread is closed with the appropriate card issued. The fact is we have individuals of all nationalities, including our own, intent on exploiting our waterways for themselves.

And yes, the mods here are anglers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement