Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just been made redundant in England

• 02-07-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I have just been made redundant and returning to Waterford . has anyone any suggestions as to what my next step should be . I have no home so i iwll be buying a tent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Would you not stay i England and look for work. loads of jobs here!!

Why come home to nothing and risk being homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maccauk11

I only rent a room here in England and the owner will not accept rent allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Have you no friends or family in Ireland you could stay with until you find your own place? have you no savings to fall back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

There is no Rent Allowance in the UK. It'll be Housing Benefit. And it's payable to your landlord. That's the first thing.

How long were you in the job for? Surely you would be getting some sort of redundancy? Do you know if you're entitled to a payment, and if so how much? You need to sort that out first.

If you move back here, you may not necessarily receive Welfare. They will check with the DWP in Newcastle to see how much NI you've paid before you receive a penny. Which certainly won't be quick - About 6-8 weeks if you're lucky. And you'll need to prove habitual residence in order to be paid from here. Might be better to claim unemployment from the UK. It won't be nearly as generous, but at least you'll be paid quickly. Don't forget any Welfare you may be able to claim will be means-tested as you won't have paid enough stamps here.

In short, don't panic. I would advise that unless you have a pressing need to return home, to stay put. Where are you based at the moment, and what do you do? I might be able to recommend some recruiters you could try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maccauk11

Hi
    Thanks ofr the reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement