Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Alarms - do any expose the zone state via SNMP for IT systems monitoring?

Options
  • 02-07-2017 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a wireless alarm system for the house.

I already monitor everything IT related in the house from an Amazon EC2 instance running Nagios (broadband status, latency, bandwidth usage, number of devices on the network, printer ink levels, disk space/cpu load/memory load on the home server, temperature in the attic, that the tado heating units, philips hue bridge and the nest protect units are all online etc).

So assuming the alarm system has an IP address I can monitor that it's always online too in Nagios. Nagios will email if something minor happens and email & txt me if something major happens like the broadband goes down. I'm happy with that in combination with the alarm company system for notifying on actual alarm events.

Possibly the Siemens Vanderblit system would suit best for this? Open to your expert advice.

I'm also thinking though, if the alarm system supports the IT standard SNMP, rather than simply having Nagios ping the alarm system checking that it's online, I could set Nagios to poll the alarm system every minute and SNMP walk all the alarm zones for issues. This way I wouldn't be relying on the alarm company for notices at all and Nagios could alert me like it would any other IT system.

Does any one know if any of the wireless alarm systems support SNMP for IT based monitoring?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Siemens Vanderbilt has SNMP however cant be used for commands in to control the system. It is only level 1 with just a few commands. These were originally added when it was first developed as Signet but nothing more was done after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

Looking at getting a wireless alarm system for the house.

I already monitor everything IT related in the house from an Amazon EC2 instance running Nagios (broadband status, latency, bandwidth usage, number of devices on the network, printer ink levels, disk space/cpu load/memory load on the home server, temperature in the attic, that the tado heating units, philips hue bridge and the nest protect units are all online etc).

So assuming the alarm system has an IP address I can monitor that it's always online too in Nagios. Nagios will email if something minor happens and email & txt me if something major happens like the broadband goes down. I'm happy with that in combination with the alarm company system for notifying on actual alarm events.

Possibly the Siemens Vanderblit system would suit best for this? Open to your expert advice.

I'm also thinking though, if the alarm system supports the IT standard SNMP, rather than simply having Nagios ping the alarm system checking that it's online, I could set Nagios to poll the alarm system every minute and SNMP walk all the alarm zones for issues. This way I wouldn't be relying on the alarm company for notices at all and Nagios could alert me like it would any other IT system.

Does any one know if any of the wireless alarm systems support SNMP for IT based monitoring?

If you defined each sensor as a device on your system, using any of the popular HA system software on the market, defining a list of events to reflect any changes in your device status you could monitor any changes in each individual sensor and have it report these changes to you.

Have a look at Homeseer3. You can trial it for 30 days. It has plugins available for most of the popular control panels. Vera is another one you could try too

Advertisement