Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX480 problem

Options
  • 02-07-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

I got an Asus ROG RX480 in Feb/March. It replaced a Radeon HD 7870.

When I got it first, i ran DDU in safe mode then installed GPU, and drivers. All good at that point. A little coil whine when playing one certain game(FIFA 13 for my sins), but fine apart from that.

A few weeks later and the afore mentioned game wouldn't start, threw up an E0001 error, or something to that effect. Restarting helped this issue temporarily then a clean reinstall of the driver solved it until recently.

Last night I noticed my FPS was way down on lots of games. Upon further investigation the fans weren't kicking in even though temps were a few degrees shy of 90. Reinstalled drivers(again!) and fans were going fine as set in the temp curve.

However, after about fifteen minutes the screens flashed black for a few seconds then came on again but the game had frozen. The computer made the noise it makes when a device is removed, then the one when it detects a device. Now two RX480s are reported in DxDiag and neither Skyrim nor FIFA will launch. The Skyrim menu settings menu shows two RX 480 options, one of which has no resolution options.

Anyone any ideas on this? I'm thinking of just giving up on this card, returning it and add a few quid for an Nvidia. Won't do this if it can be solved obviously.

System Specs:
    i5-4670k
    AsRock Extreme6 z87
    12 GB DDR3 G.Skill RAM
    Asus Rx 480 8GB
    Corsair CS550
    1TB HDD, 240GB SSD and some BD drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Check the board (although now I think about it, it may have a shroud over it, for any blown capacitors. It's does sound dead to me. I've had as many nVidia cards go on me as AMD, possible one more nVidia, but to be fair if you're going 1070 or above you will get better performance BUT - GPU prices at the moment are a bit mental (Mining).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Check the board (although now I think about it, it may have a shroud over it, for any blown capacitors. It's does sound dead to me. I've had as many nVidia cards go on me as AMD, possible one more nVidia, but to be fair if you're going 1070 or above you will get better performance BUT - GPU prices at the moment are a bit mental (Mining).

The card itself wouldn't be dead if reinstalling the drivers fixed it each time(temporarily)?

I had suspected it could be a PSU thing that it cut out as it wasn't getting enough juice at load but it happened there now just watching a film, so that's unlikely.

1070 had been what I was considering. Everything seems more expensive this year..

I had a 6600GT (although it was in SLI) doing some very odd things on me due to a blown capacitor but it wasn't totally dead so I don't know really. Have you tried DDU and a reinstall again? 550W should be enough, I have less than that with an OC's 4790K and 1080. Corsair did do a range of not great PSUs but I think the CS series was okay. Have you tried a different PCI-E slot, checked the pins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also try updating your motherboard bios. RX cards have really bad compatibility issues with older chipsets on the 1150/1155 socket.

Won't get a chance to rip it out of the box until tomorrow night, but I'll let yas know. Cheers.

• Advertisement

OK, pulled it out about an hour ago had a nosy. No obvious signs of bad caps from what I was able to see, don't fancy pulling it apart in the house.

Just updated the BIOS and did the DDU reinstall thing so I'll have to leave it a while now see if it plays up anymore.

EDIT: That lasted four minutes and did the exact same thing.

sugarman wrote: »
    I'd say it was likely your bios, had similar issues on a Z68 board with the 480 awhile ago. All fine since. Fingers crossed that's all it is here.

Just edited before you posted there. Same behaviour.

ASUS ROG Strix model. Not sure of the Bios, I haven't updated anything on it anyway.

Deleted the device in device manager last night and shut down for the night. Has been fine all evening today. Hopefully it's resolved.

Issues returned today. I had deleted the device from device manager and restarted and it ran fine until today.

Sugarman, are you saying to update bios of the GPU? Can't find how to do that one.

Was having issuers myself recently, traced it to covering a passive PSU with a shroud - doh!

If you can try another PSU, also you should try the BIOS on the card, you should be able to get the info and files, and even support from the manufacturers website, I've found ASUS not particularly helpful though.

• Advertisement

Seems my BIOS is up to date already. I di donly get the card in February.

Will have to see if my housemate will be genereous with a PSU.

Curiously, I have two screens, an old Samsung P2270(2), and a slightly less old S22B350(1).

When (1) is set as main screen Skyrim will launch, when (2) is set as main screen it won't.

Possibly not a GPU issue at all? I do hope it's not a display issue, I've been fighting to stop myself buying an MG278/9!

Advertisement