Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another plant ID please!

Options
  • 02-07-2017 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hi all, here's another plant ID request... Suddenly I have at least a dozen or two of them in my garden corner this year and I cannot remember planting anything similar at all. I did sow some sedum mix - but these are up to a foot tall, not quite a sedum territory?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't think it's sedum as they are succulents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Possibly borage. Am not certain though -- the black spots on the leaf are odd but the bristles and shape remind me of borage?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Look like echium pininana seedlings

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Look like echium pininana seedlings

Yep, definitely Echium!

• Advertisement

They do look similar to what I can see online as echium!
    https://garden.org/plants/photo/161602/

Where would they come from though? I have loads of them suddenly this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

mhge wrote: »
    They do look similar to what I can see online as echium!
    https://garden.org/plants/photo/161602/

Where would they come from though? I have loads of them suddenly this year...

Very likely a neighbour may have had a flowering plant last year - they scatter seeds freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Their seeds can survive a few mild winters in the soil. You'd probably have noticed if the neighbours had one though!

Haven't noticed any around but I'll let them grow. They certainly add interest to the garden :D
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mhge wrote:
    Haven't noticed any around but I'll let them grow. They certainly add interest to the garden Thank you!

I think they're deadly. It will be a few years before they bloom though. My first two are out at the moment and I am exceptionally proud of them :) One split and has two plumes. It is gigantic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement