Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Firearms/shooting for the first time

Options
  • 02-07-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a total newbie with only basic knowledge on the shooting in Ireland...

I want to get into shooting for recreation but also hunting, also interested in culling deer as part of conservation (I've a degree in wildlife biology).

I understand that you've to apply to the local gardai for a license, but I'm not entirely sure on what is or isn't legal, and what the requirements are for obtaining a license and storage.

Is it enough to own a bit of land, or do you have to be part of a club of some sort?

I understand that semi-automatic rifles aren't legal, and that the magazine capacity/tube capacity is 3 rounds? What's the status of pistols in Ireland, I've seen a few for sale?

Apologies for the basic questions, but I struggled to find any info out there on getting into shooting with no prior experience, but a lot on renewing licenses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

Hi I'm kinda in the same boat as yourself. Looking to get a shot gun for vermin control on the farm Have 40 odd acres in my own name, between pigeons and rabbits I could set up a weekly cull and still have plenty left over. I went into local cop shop during the week to talk to the firearms officer, very nice man, and no trouble answering the "stupid" questions and was very laid back about the hole thing, his advice was go away and pick your gun out, fill up the form he provided me with and drop it back in, then he said, and I quote " its a bit like dropping your car in for the nct, throw it in and see what they find fault with, and then fix the bits they ask for" thought it was a funny statement from the FO. But I suppose it was his way of saying if you go looking for trouble you will end up finding it

Anyways from what I could see on the form, you have a section to fill out, the shop you buy the gun from has a section to fill out, and your doctor has a section to fill out to say your not mad.

That's more a less it, noting to demanding for a basic shotgun anyways, as far as I can tell.

I'm sure others will know more about a pistols and rifles so I'm not going to pass comment on them as I didn't ask and know nothing about them

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

First thing is decide what you would like to do hunt, target shoot or both and then if you would prefer a rifle or shotgun. Go to a reputable dealer in your area and explain you want to start out. A 22 is a good starting rifle as you will get to learn the basics etc and if you want to get into deer hunting it is another world with gun type, permissions etc. Don't do what so many lads do and rush in and buy a gun and then realise it is the wrong gun for you. If there is a range near you book in a session and see how you get on. Talk to as many people you can and get as much information.

As for guns:

Semi automatic guns are legal in Ireland and the maximum rounds allowed in a magazine for a rifle is 10 rounds.

You can have a pistol of .22 calibre only with a magazine capacity of maximum 5 rounds dor new applicants. There is people pre 2009 with higher calibre pistols but they had to go to court etc in a lot of cases to get there licence back. For a pistol you must be a member of an authourised range and can only use the pistol at the range for target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Develop an absolutely wonderful sense of humour,cos you will need it with dealing with firearms in any shape or form in Ireland.:pac::D

Semi automatic guns are legal in Ireland and the maximum rounds allowed in a magazine for a rifle is 10 rounds

Unless it is a restricted rifle and at the moment you could stick a 100round drum on it and be legal.You can under the new EU directive apply for an exemption for capacity greater than 10 shots,but we have no info yet from AGS/DOJ as to who,what when,where why,how or....

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Cheers lads that's a good start. I understand that when applying for a license it's per firearm? So if you want multiple firearms, you need multiple licenses? When it comes to shotguns, it's illegal to have an extended tube to have more than 3 rounds?

My intent would be to get a .308 or similar for hunting, and something like a 870 or 500 for recreation...

There's a gun club near me, I'll be going for a round of clay shooting with friends and I'll be sure to ask all the questions I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Yes each license is unique to each gun as it will have the serial number of the gun and also the amount of ammo your authorised to have for that gun.
    Semi-auto shotguns are restricted to 3 cartridges on a non-restricted license.

.308 rifles are mostly used for deer so to license a .308 will be a lot harder first time out as you have to show you have the relevant requirements for deer hunting.

Probably best to start with say a .22lr or .17hmr but to license these the steps are relatively straightforward.

Go to a dealer and explain what you will be using the gun for i.e. Hunting, targets, pest control etc. He will advise you as to what gun and calibres would suit you best. Next step is to pick a gun and pay a deposit. The dealer will give you a receipt for the gun. Get yourself a license application and fill out the required sections. Some dealers will actually sit down with you and give you a hand as it's daunting the first time. When you have the form filled in drop it in to your local Garda station and wait patiently.

Worth noting if this is your first license you will need to do a competency course. Ask your dealer about this most clubs run them. If you choose a rifle you will need a safe. Have this installed before you drop in your forms to the Garda as chances are he will call out to have a look. If your going for a shotgun you don't need a safe just a trigger lock but safes are about €90 so why not get one anyway.
    This is a very basic explanation of how to go about getting on the ladder as such. Anything else feel free to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Worth noting if this is your first license you will need to do a competency course. Ask your dealer about this most clubs run them.

This is not true. You need to demonstrate proof of competency, but that doesn't mean you need to do a competency course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

When it comes to shotguns, it's illegal to have an extended tube to have more than 3 rounds?

Not quite;

There are 'restricted' firearm certificates and firearm certificates.

A restricted cert is what you get if you fall outside of certain criteria. They need to be approved by a Chief Super and you have more onerous storage criteria.

Taking a standard semi auto shotgun (such as the one that I have), it comes with the factory magazine that I think will take up to 5 cartridges. This would be the same for pretty much every semi out there.

Were I able to load more than two cartridges in the mag, I would need a restricted licence. However, the gun came with a plastic chock that prevents more from fitting more than two rounds, so I have an ordinary licence. If I remove the plastic chock, I would need a restricted licence [I'm not willing to go down the 'but I was only going to put in two rounds' defence]

The point I'm trying to make is that a 'restricted' licence isn't always reserved for a specific gun, but rather how you intend to use it. The same semi auto shotgun can either be restricted or unrestricted, depending the amount (and the calibre) of the rounds you intend to use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Split the pistol discussion into it's own thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hi all, I'm a total newbie with only basic knowledge on the shooting in Ireland...
    Welcome to the forum.
    I want to get into shooting for recreation but also hunting, also interested in culling deer as part of conservation (I've a degree in wildlife biology).
    You will need some* or all of the following:
    • A deer legal caliber rifle (.22 centrefire, 55gr bullet, producing 1,700ft/lb at the muzzle (minimum))
    • Land permissions (usually 2, totaling 100 acres minimum)
    • Deer license (free from the NPWS)
    • *HCAP (trained hunter competency course)
    • *Lease (from Coilte usually in the event you don't have private land you can use)
    They are only the bare basics. You have a host of other stuff to do to get the license such as:
    1. Prove competency (via a course of letters from others, or a training license)
    2. Pick a gun
    3. Apply for it with the FCA1 application form
    4. Get some form of home security (safe, alarm, etc)
    5. Possibly do an interview with your local Superintendent
    6. Get the license
    7. Get the gun
    8. Go out with others to learnt he craft of shooting to ensure safe and humane shots
    The list is not endless, but there is quite a bit to do. Most is learned over time, but some like the above are necessities that must be done o get a foot in the door.
    I understand that you've to apply to the local gardai for a license,
    Correct using an FCA1 application form.
    but I'm not entirely sure on what is or isn't legal,
    Most stuff is perfectly legal. As said above some stuff is restricted, but you need not worry bout that for now. Unless you're looking for an AK, Bazooka, some claymores and a grenade launcher, pretty much most things are available to you.
    and what the requirements are for obtaining a license and storage.
    • Look around for a rifle that suits
    • Pick one and pay a small deposit (5-10%)
    • Buy and install a safe
    • Have range membership, gun club membership or land permissions.
    • Get and an FCA1 (application form) along with:
      • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
      • Photos x 2
      • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
      • Medical details
      • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card or in the case of a firearm for hunting land permissions or club membership (gun club, not a range).
      • Separate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
      • All secure accommodation requirements (gun safe) in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    • Submit it the FCA1 to your local Garda station, and wait.
    • Receive license, pay fee at the post office and upon receipt of your license go collect your new rifle.
    Is it enough to own a bit of land, or do you have to be part of a club of some sort?
    Depends on the shooting. For hunting either land permissions (your own or people you know with land) and for target shooting membership to a range.
    I understand that semi-automatic rifles aren't legal
    Perfectly legal. Have one myself as do a few people in the country.
    , and that the magazine capacity/tube capacity is 3 rounds?
    For unrestricted shotguns, yes. If you apply for a restricted shotgun license you can have as many as you like.
    What's the status of pistols in Ireland, I've seen a few for sale?
    Once it fires .22lr ammunition its perfectly legal to own and is an unrestricted firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Great advice lads, I'll start off visiting ranges and getting the feel of it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement