Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed on Speakers suitable for 70s Music centre I just bought

• 02-07-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just won a bid for a 70s Akai Music Centre on eBay,
    trouble is I have been using a modern turntable the last year or so with just a subwoofer and surround sound just until I decided whether I wanted to put any more cash into this hobby.

but now I have bought this and will hopefully receive it in just over a week I don't know what type of speakers I should get. and more specifically with what type of outputs/leads, I have a pair of speakers that have the red and black modern wires , and I see plenty of RCA speakers that I can get, can anyone Identify for me what speaker this unit connects to please and maybe give a recommendation on speakers

all advice apreciated

http://imgur.com/a/jQUQw
    http://imgur.com/a/qN1bA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

They look like 2-pin din connectors.
    The bigger holes will be ground, and the smaller holes the hot signal. You could just use speaker cable shoved into the holes (solid core would work best) if you can't find the actual connectors.

As for the actual speakers - that's entirely up to you. I picked up a big old pair of Goodman's speakers on Adverts for my old amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

noby wrote: »
    They look like 2-pin din connectors.
    The bigger holes will be ground, and the smaller holes the hot signal. You could just use speaker cable shoved into the holes (solid core would work best) if you can't find the actual connectors.

As for the actual speakers - that's entirely up to you. I picked up a big old pair of Goodman's speakers on Adverts for my old amplifier.

Thank you for your help, I've been looking online and their is convertors, so for the time being I am going to use my phllips speakers with red & black cables using converters, and hopefully that will work until I find a pair of speakers that have more of a vintage look to match the music centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Thank you for your help, I've been looking online and their is convertors, so for the time being I am going to use my phllips speakers with red & black cables using converters, and hopefully that will work until I find a pair of speakers that have more of a vintage look to match the music centre

As noby said, they're din connections. Probably find them hard to find these days but it's not an issue.

What is the converter you're referring to? Is it to convert an amplified source to line level?
    If so, I wouldn't be happy using it.

The output of your music centre is amplified already so you need a pair of passive (not powered) speakers. Go for something around 20-40 watts I guess. Maybe bookshelf speakers. I use a pair of JVC ones rated at 35 watts and they sound very good for the size. I also have Technics ones that sound crap so if you are able to listen to the speakers before buying, I would advise you to. IMO, the biggest influence on the sound of a system is the speakers. No matter how good or expensive the amp is, if the speakers are poor, it will always sound poor. The inverse is also true, a basic system can sound good through a decent set of speakers and i don't mean expensive ones either.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    As noby said, they're din connections. Probably find them hard to find these days but it's not an issue.

What is the converter you're referring to? Is it to convert an amplified source to line level?
    If so, I wouldn't be happy using it.

The output of your music centre is amplified already so you need a pair of passive (not powered) speakers. Go for something around 20-40 watts I guess. Maybe bookshelf speakers. I use a pair of JVC ones rated at 35 watts and they sound very good for the size. I also have Technics ones that sound crap so if you are able to listen to the speakers before buying, I would advise you to. IMO, the biggest influence on the sound of a system is the speakers. No matter how good or expensive the amp is, if the speakers are poor, it will always sound poor. The inverse is also true, a basic system can sound good through a decent set of speakers and i don't mean expensive ones either.

Hi thanks for the advice
    These are the converters I have ordered - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331395432695?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l6004&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI331395432695.N41.S1.R1.TR4
    I am going to first of all use the speakers from my Philips Micro Hi-Fi System
    MC150 which have an impedance of 4ohm and according to the Philips website have "2 x 10 Watts music power"

http://www.philips.ie/c-p/MC150_25/-/specifications

These will be temporary until I find something more suitable to the HiFi, I don't have the biggest of budgets but I'm in no rush as long as I get any sort of decent sound out of these ones in the meantime.
    I was using a basic cheapo steepletone TT then a slightly better Bush mtt1 and was just using them with what looked like a PC surround sound subwoofer system that I got from a charity shop and tbh I was/am happy even with that but I love the look of the old music centres - and the turntable looks a lot sturdier than anything I have had, I know that a stand alone turntable would be more ideal but as I said I just liked the look of this model and I got it for £30 + £20 delivery so I just hope now that it arrives in one piece unbroken !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the advice
    These are the converters I have ordered - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331395432695?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l6004&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI331395432695.N41.S1.R1.TR4
    I am going to first of all use the speakers from my Philips Micro Hi-Fi System
    MC150 which have an impedance of 4ohm and according to the Philips website have "2 x 10 Watts music power"

http://www.philips.ie/c-p/MC150_25/-/specifications

These will be temporary until I find something more suitable to the HiFi, I don't have the biggest of budgets but I'm in no rush as long as I get any sort of decent sound out of these ones in the meantime.
    I was using a basic cheapo steepletone TT then a slightly better Bush mtt1 and was just using them with what looked like a PC surround sound subwoofer system that I got from a charity shop and tbh I was/am happy even with that but I love the look of the old music centres - and the turntable looks a lot sturdier than anything I have had, I know that a stand alone turntable would be more ideal but as I said I just liked the look of this model and I got it for £30 + £20 delivery so I just hope now that it arrives in one piece unbroken !
    Ok. They are connectors, not converters, and they are exactly what you need.
    Just make sure that you wire both speakers to them the same way otherwise they will be out of phase and you will get a "dead zone".

Seems like a decent enough turntable. Hope the stylus is ok. There's somebody on Ebay trying to sell one for £240 :eek:

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Ok. They are connectors, not converters, and they are exactly what you need.
    Just make sure that you wire both speakers to them the same way otherwise they will be out of phase and you will get a "dead zone".

Seems like a decent enough turntable. Hope the stylus is ok. There's somebody on Ebay trying to sell one for £240 :eek:

Yeah I saw that .. I also saw the crazy old verticle turntable music centre that me and my brother had (and our mum threw out) up for sale for £700!!! even though it isnt working ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-VZ-3000-Linear-Vertical-Turntable-Speakers-Vintage-VERY-RARE-HiFi-/182597031119?hash=item2a83a194cf:g:9AEAAOSwZKBZK~ZP

Yeah in the listing it said "could benefit from a new stylus" so I ordered one of them as well

The cassette deck on it doesn't work but that isn't something I was planning on using anyway. I have one Cassette and the Micro system I have has a deck which is never used,

That's great to hear that I seem to have the right equipment to get it going and hopefully get many years of use out of !

Thanks again !

Advertisement