Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sycamore trees

Options
  • 02-07-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 2 acre site for a new build. its quite exposed. I've already planted approx 200 2-3 ft tall trees ( oak, birch, alder,hazel mostly). I've tried to keep to native Irish species and have tried to plant them in all in an areas at about 1/2 to 3/4 acre at approx 2m-3m spacings. I'd eventually like to have a little woodland.

My budget is tight and I have free access to as many small sycamore trees as I want but I'm note sure if I should bring them in. Do they spread very easily? Could they take over the site ? Will they out grow and overtake the other trees?
    I know they are not native but they are free!

Frogeye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sycamore trees are free because they are pretty much weeds. They will grow anywhere the seeds drop. They are ok in a big area, though their leaves do tend to collect bugs and diseases, but you really don't want more than one or two in a very large garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

They are not native as you say and will suppress native flora by opening their leaves very early in the year depriving esp spring ground flora of light. Even Small seedlings produce almost full sized leaves. They grow fast too.

Willow is very versatile and grows very easily from free cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ah. Too right about sycamore - invasive, and makes dark, insect-y patches of deep shade.

Yes - Willow will grow from any twig: but they grow fast, grow big, and take a lot of water out of the soil. May be a threat to foundations of nearby buildings. Don't have willow too near a house!

The OP writes oak, birch, alder,hazel mostly-- this sounds like a nice selection. You could add some Ash, also very free-seeding: Crab-apple, the native wild stock. Yew trees are native and add a different atmosphere. Holly is also evergreen, and Rowan very pretty in Spring and Autumn. And if you can lay your hands on even one Elm, that would be a beautiful addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They're a filthy tree. There are only a couple of months all year that they are not dripping dirty sap. And they throw up seedlings everywhere. There is a reason they're free! They grow fast though if you are looking for cover and have a very dense crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I have one in my garden and it's a curse. Wouldn't recommend them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Ah. Too right about sycamore - invasive, and makes dark, insect-y patches of deep shade.

Yes - Willow will grow from any twig: but they grow fast, grow big, and take a lot of water out of the soil. May be a threat to foundations of nearby buildings. Don't have willow too near a house!

The OP writes oak, birch, alder,hazel mostly-- this sounds like a nice selection. You could add some Ash, also very free-seeding: Crab-apple, the native wild stock. Yew trees are native and add a different atmosphere. Holly is also evergreen, and Rowan very pretty in Spring and Autumn. And if you can lay your hands on even one Elm, that would be a beautiful addition!

Consensus seems to be no sycamore trees! Thats that then. thanks all.

Have a few willow but not near the house. Would love Ash but not for sale anywhere due to the disease thats going around. There is one large ash tree near the site so maybe seeds will spread.

I have a few crab apple,holly and Rowan planted as well. I'll have a think about the yew!

One last question are maple similar to Sycamore? ie a weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, same family but much more manageable and attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

looksee wrote: »
    No, same family but much more manageable and attractive.

... but not native to Ireland.

Scots Pine, despite the name, is native to Ireland and can be very attractive.

blackbox wrote: »

Scots Pine, despite the name, is native to Ireland and can be very attractive.

Yeah I like them

I have a few of them thrown in the site as well. got em at about 30cm....nearly lost them in the grass a few times..I'm never buying tree less than 90cm again....

Frogeye

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackbox wrote: »
    I will have to dig out my copy of rackham's 'woodlands' when I get home, but I'm fairly certain he quotes Mitchell of UCG who found field maple pollen dating back a couple of thousand years in a bog sample.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Field Maple are considered native. I wouldn't touch Ash with a barge pole. They are the weed tree around here and pop up I every flower and shrub bed in their hundreds every year.

My wood is mostly oak, pine, birch, alder, rowan and hazel with a couple of horse chestnut just for the sake of the grandchildren. The ground is awash with primrose, spotted orchid, wood anemone, bluebell and foxglove.

Field Maple are considered native. I wouldn't touch Ash with a barge pole. They are the weed tree around here and pop up I every flower and shrub bed in their hundreds every year.

My wood is mostly oak, pine, birch, alder, rowan and hazel with a couple of horse chestnut just for the sake of the grandchildren. The ground is awash with primrose, spotted orchid, wood anemone, bluebell and foxglove.

I'm trying to create a wood from grassland. Any ideas how I get those sorts of flowers into the site? Can they bought and spread over time or would they just arrive over time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Frogeye wrote: »
    I'm trying to create a wood from grassland. Any ideas how I get those sorts of flowers into the site? Can they bought and spread over time or would they just arrive over time?

Mine either came themselves or I took some seedheads when I came across them. I got rid of the grass but digging it out or smothering it with leaves every year. It really thrived when I pulled out a carpet of ivy a number of years back. It takes years to get it looking anything like a woodland.

Advertisement