Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is dump full of scum

Options
  • 02-07-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm a male expat from east Europe previously living in Austria-Switzerland-Germany triangle. Recently I've moved in Dublin and here are my observations and honest opinion about Dublin, and Ireland:

-What an ugly architecture. Town is flooded by those post-industrial brown brick buildings, which are covered by decays, dirt, dust and ugly cabling lines. It looks like many buildings weren't touched since cold war and the general image of town resembles on crime scene with a very spooky vibe, especially in the night. It's a good place to film gangster movies tough.
    - Horrible weather. It changes every 10mins, but most of time there is no sun.
    - Horrible public transport. Bad connections, bad timing and can be expensive. Without car you ain't go far in this country.
    - some streets are very trashy. Still better than Berlin tough.
    - Full of CCTV cameras, and it only gets worse the closer you get to northern Ireland. This country has some serious troubles with theft and burglary.
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, but there are also junkies, tramps and the abundance of those criminals dressed in hoodies and tracksuits.
    - renting in this country is very expensive accordingly to income.
    - The accent. Many of them. I can barely understand what these guys are saying, especially those from north.

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite, politically correct and tolerant people. However, inside they're seem to be very bitter and rotting souls and I have hard time making friends with them. Keep in mind that I look like typical vladimir from east Europe with russian accent, so adjust my experience accordingly. I often get those disapproving looks as long as I step in a bar located outside tourist zone. Once it happened that bartender was showering me with a train of f-words for whole 5 mins.
    - Dubliners seem to be on the rude side in contrast to people from north.
    - many irish have so dirty mouth. While this can pass for males, it's horrible when it comes from woman's mouth. But lets be fair, it's significantly less horrible than language skills of English women haha.
    - Contrary that Irish are very welcoming in nature and that they accept other cultures (except English, but hey, there are clear historical reasons for that), they still seem to actually dislike foreigners based on what I've seen around.
    - Irish spit on the floor so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

hondatown wrote: »
    I'm a male expat from east Europe previously living in Austria-Switzerland-Germany triangle. Recently I've moved in Dublin and here are my observations and honest opinion about Dublin, and Ireland:

-What an ugly architecture. Town is flooded by those post-industrial brown brick buildings, which are covered by decays, dirt, dust and ugly cabling lines. It looks like many buildings weren't touched since cold war. Whole town looks like a crime scene with a very spooky vibe, especially in the night.
    - Horrible public transport. Bad connections, bad timing and can be expensive. Without car you ain't go far in this country.
    - Full of CCTV cameras, and it only gets worse the closer you get to northern Ireland. This country has some serious troubles with theft and burglary.
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, junkies, tramps or the abundance of those punks with hoodies and tracksuits.
    - That accent. Many of them. I can barely understand guys from north.

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite and politically correct and tolerant people. However, inside they're some very bitter and rotting souls and I have hard time making friends with them. Keep in mind that I look like typical vladimir from east Europe with russian accent, so adjust my experience accordingly. I often get those disapproving looks as long as I step in a bar located outside tourist zone. Once it happened that bartender was showering me with a train of f-words for whole 5 mins.
    - many irish have so dirty mouth. While this can pass for males, it's horrible when it comes from woman's mouth. But lets be fair, it's significantly less horrible than language skills of English women haha.
    - Contrary that Irish are very welcoming in nature and that they accept other cultures (except English, but hey, there are clear historical reasons for that), they still seem to actually dislike foreigners based on what I've seen around.

If you hate it that much why live here? If I hated where I lived i would move....simples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

And what country are you from OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Hire a Honda and drive out of Dublin. See the rest of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

You'd love Limerick, buddy. It'd be right up your street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

As a dub, I am shocked by the amount of spitting that goes on. And the place is filthy. I don't need anyone from abroad to tell me that, I can see it with my own eyes. Quite shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Door's that way pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is one big thing that needs changing and that's junkies and alchos everywhere.

Another epidemic is doughnut shops opening everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

At least he thinks it's better than Berlin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I'm fed up of people moving here by their own choice and then slating the place.

Sure there's negatives about everywhere, Dublin included buthe practically everywhere has negatives and positives according to preference....it's called life.

OP I really can't understand the mindset of people like you? Why are you here ? Higher wages....better standard of living? If it's not something like that I dont know why you're here. Regardless if your thoughts are as strong as theye seem to be from your post pleasee leave and don't look back......leave the place to people who can appreciate the positives and accept the negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

He's actually describing Moscow. I lived there for six months. Dublin is heaven compared to that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

the guy does have a point , get out of dublin fast :pac: :pac:

best not compare dublin to the rest of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure isn't it a great small little island where everyone feels entitled and that the tax paying fools owe them everything for doing nothing with their lives.

Get housed and paid to do Nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Its a little unfair to attack a place you came to voluntarily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm not fond of Dublin either OP... hence why I don't live there. Why don't you try the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If you want a true experience of Ireland OP get out of Dublin. Sh1thole is being nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Troll lol

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I'm an Englishman whose been going to Ireland for over twenty years and have never experienced any anti British sentiment (to my face, at least) aside from a bit of leg pulling but I'm robust enough to laugh at some banter. There's aspects to Ireland that I don't like but overall, shure, its grand (talking like a native already!)
    I've also spent some time in Scotland and even got married there, again, another country with a chequered history with England and yet again, I love the place and have never felt unwelcome there or had any bad reactions from locals.
    I think in your position, a part of it is your frame of mind in your approach. Your national culture will have differences with that of the Irish but you need to get your head in a better state of mind first, then things may seem better.
    Finally, if you think some Irish are scummy, for fcuks sake don't ever go to London, its so much worse which is partly why I'm moving to Ireland in the next couple of years. Chin up, there's worse places to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite, politically correct and tolerant people.

Wha?

Take that back! Take it back ya forrin fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This us a wind up. This is some culchie fool trying to stir the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Pete Moss wrote: »
    You'd love Limerick, buddy. It'd be right up your street.

Suggest you visit limerick buddy, a decade ago fine you may have been onto something, but in recent years Limerick is a shining light when compared to Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

-What an ugly architecture. Town is flooded by those post-industrial brown brick buildings, which are covered by decays, dirt, dust and ugly cabling lines. It looks like many buildings weren't touched since cold war and the general image of town resembles on crime scene with a very spooky vibe, especially in the night. It's a good place to film gangster movies tough.
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, but there are also junkies, tramps and the abundance of those criminals dressed in hoodies and tracksuits.
    - The accent. Many of them. I can barely understand what these guys are saying, especially those from north.

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite, politically correct and tolerant people. However, inside they're seem to be very bitter and rotting souls and I have hard time making friends with them. Keep in mind that I look like typical vladimir from east Europe with russian accent, so adjust my experience accordingly. I often get those disapproving looks as long as I step in a bar located outside tourist zone. Once it happened that bartender was showering me with a train of f-words for whole 5 mins.

ER? Where were you living in Ireland?
    - Horrible weather. It changes every 10mins, but most of time there is no sun. Er, It's Ireland, It's supposed to do that.
    - Horrible public transport. Bad connections, bad timing and can be expensive. Without car you ain't go far in this country. Again Ireland, it supposed to do that, It's not bloody designed to run on Swiss time.
    - some streets are very trashy. Still better than Berlin tough. K, describes everywhere on the planet?
    We are just nosy.
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, but there are also junkies, tramps and the abundance of those criminals dressed in hoodies and tracksuits. Yep stay away from the tracksuits, Again? where were you living here?
    - renting in this country is very expensive accordingly to income. Again, It's Ireland
    - That accent. Many of them. I can barely understand guys from north. Nor can we.

Someone else want to take the second paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

every single thing you said is 100% utterly true

Strangely i still love it though, and I'm proud to call it home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thanks for that. A welcome challenge to the "Oh we're Irish aren't we so cute and lovable? Please tell us how much you like us and our country."

A lot of what you say is true. However, and I'm not a Dub, I find Dublin people significantly more friendly than other Irish people. But your honest and objective opinion is probably closer to the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Brad Bobley

Dublin is the sh1t stain on the underpants of Ireland. Move to Galway or Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The junkie stuff is true. Why do we not have the political will to solve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

i shpit on the floor daily,
    My house is covered in shpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

He's actually describing Moscow. I lived there for six months. Dublin is heaven compared to that place.

Moscow is nowhere near as dangerous as it's reputation suggests.The cops over there have all the bums and junkies barred from congregating in the city centre.A lesson for us to learn in Ireland i think.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

martin101 wrote: »
    Troll lol
    Lalala?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement