Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is dump full of scum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I got better amusement reading the replies and comments.
    he lost me at Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hondatown wrote: »
    I'm a male expat from east Europe previously l

You're not an ex pat son, you're an immigrant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I love the junkies in dublin. I love how they can find love. Its a beautiful sight you wouldnt get elsewhere.

The sight of anto and mary having a domestic on grafton street pulling around a manky sleeping bag and worn out dunnes bags with a retro flip up phone, while all the foreigners watch in shock.
    What about the performance art of a junky trying to stand up after shooting up on o connell street.
    You wouldnt get that in paris or any other cosmopolitan place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Bambi wrote: »
    You're not an ex pat son, you're an immigrant :)

Ah. I think you've found him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

The sight of anto and mary having a domestic on grafton street pulling around a manky sleeping bag and worn out dunnes bags with a retro flip up phone, while all the foreigners watch in shock. What about the performance art of a junky trying to stand up after shooting up on o connell street. You wouldnt get that in paris or any other cosmopolitan place.

The only flip ups they're doing is getting the line off the tin foil.
    Youre right its art though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I'm a male expat from east Europe previously living in Austria-Switzerland-Germany triangle.

Haha you are like the Brits in the comment section of the Daily Mail. Proudly call themselves ex pats but anyone who comes to their country is an immigrant
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, but there are also junkies, tramps and the abundance of those criminals dressed in hoodies and tracksuits.

Some are your fellow country men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I love the junkies in dublin. I love how they can find love. Its a beautiful sight you wouldnt get elsewhere.

The sight of anto and mary having a domestic on grafton street pulling around a manky sleeping bag and worn out dunnes bags with a retro flip up phone
    Don't forget the kids Jackie and Bill in the buggie.
    And their greasy fast food bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

So OP, tell us where you are from and why you are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Last two times I've witnessed drunks/addicts being arrested in town they have been of Eastern European descent, so it also your compatriots who are part of the "scum" problem as you so eloquently put it. Last guy was arrested on Aston Quay for lying on the path at 6pm on a Friday completely drunk and having a bench warrant outstanding (was waiting at the bus stop and overheard guards radio and whole debacle.)

Young guard was nothing but polite to him and assured him he'd get a meal and a shower and a bed for the evening before being brought to court next morning. He gave the guard awful abuse calling him an "Irish fa**ot" and repeatedly pushing him until van came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Dublins like marmite. You either like it...or f**k off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite, politically correct and tolerant people. However, inside they're seem to be very bitter and rotting souls and I have hard time making friends with them

Why do so many of my Eastern European and Russian friends have no problem making friends in Dublin?

Could the bitterness be you? Certainly seems like it from your post. And bad language acceptable for males but not females?

Try harder, adjust the attitude, open your mind and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

There is one big thing that needs changing and that's junkies and alchos everywhere.

Another epidemic is doughnut shops opening everywhere.

If we are to meet our Obecity quotas / targets for EU awe need more not less doughnut shops

We want to be the greatest don't we ! That last not achieved with salads

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hondatown

368100 wrote: »
    If you hate it that much why live here? If I hated where I lived i would move....simples

Nah, I don't hate Ireland. I'm just a bit disappointed about Ireland in regards to its hype that I received before landing here. Lets be honest - This place has one of the highest standards of living with pretty high salaries. Combine this with in general very foreigner-tolerant mentality and a laidback, low stress environment and there you have one of the potentially best places in the world with a good life balance to settle your ass in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

What nationality are you pls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

hondatown wrote:
    Nah, I don't hate Ireland. I'm just a bit disappointed about Ireland in regards to its hype before landing here. Lets be honest - This place has one of the highest standards of living with pretty high salaries. Combine this with in general very foreigner-tolerant mentality and a laidback, low stress environment and there you have one of the potentially best places in the world with a good life balance to settle your ass in.

Now you speak perfect English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

It's not just Dublin. He could be describing almost every town and city in Ireland

- Yes the weather is crap

- Yes the streets are dirty. This is a dirty country. The amount of gum and litter on our streets is appalling. So many Irish people have no interest in keeping our country litter free. It is disgusting. Look at how our beaches are left every weekend. Covered in nappies and bottles and crap.

- Yes the public transport is crap. It is not supposed to be like that. What the fcuk does that even mean. We are not special or different, just crap at organising things.

- Yes there are junkies, beggars and scumbags roaming every town and city in Ireland. Way too many for the size of the place.

- Scumbags the length and breadth of the country seem to go out of their way to spit on the street. Dirty fcukers.

I'm Irish. I love my country but the above is true and it boils my piss to be honest. Too many people in Ireland, as displayed in this thread, stick their head in the sand or just shrug their shoulders and accept it.

IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Thanks for that. A welcome challenge to the "Oh we're Irish aren't we so cute and lovable? Please tell us how much you like us and our country."

Ha ha ha. :pac:

Exactly!

You got it!

I go onto RTE and now it's John Bishop who appears on Miriam and says he would like to move to Ireland. Recently Steve Carrell gets backed into a corner in an interview for his new movie and says Ireland would be perfect for the hypothetical Anchorman 3.

The list goes on adn on where an interviewer looks for a receives a pat on the head from an A-Lister, reassuring them that Ireland is great 'cos all de A-Listers love it.

Even if OP is trolling, look at all the posters taking it personally. Telling him to move, don't let the door hit you on the way out etc.

Ireland has a lot of great things about it, but it also has plenty of annoying things. OP pointed out plenty I would agree with, others not so. Try not be so offedned and look at his points.

A refreshing bit of trolling. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I'm a male expat from east Europe previously living in Austria-Switzerland-Germany triangle. Recently I've moved in Dublin and here are my observations and honest opinion about Dublin, and Ireland:

-What an ugly architecture. Town is flooded by those post-industrial brown brick buildings, which are covered by decays, dirt, dust and ugly cabling lines. It looks like many buildings weren't touched since cold war and the general image of town resembles on crime scene with a very spooky vibe, especially in the night. It's a good place to film gangster movies tough.
    - Horrible weather. It changes every 10mins, but most of time there is no sun.
    - Horrible public transport. Bad connections, bad timing and can be expensive. Without car you ain't go far in this country.
    - some streets are very trashy. Still better than Berlin tough.
    - Full of CCTV cameras, and it only gets worse the closer you get to northern Ireland. This country has some serious troubles with theft and burglary.
    - Full of scumbags. It's either that sinister looking guys who observe streets and spit on the floor, but there are also junkies, tramps and the abundance of those criminals dressed in hoodies and tracksuits.
    - renting in this country is very expensive accordingly to income.
    - The accent. Many of them. I can barely understand what these guys are saying, especially those from north.

- In my experience, Irish in average seem to be *superficially* very nice, polite, politically correct and tolerant people. However, inside they're seem to be very bitter and rotting souls and I have hard time making friends with them. Keep in mind that I look like typical vladimir from east Europe with russian accent, so adjust my experience accordingly. I often get those disapproving looks as long as I step in a bar located outside tourist zone. Once it happened that bartender was showering me with a train of f-words for whole 5 mins.
    - Dubliners seem to be on the rude side in contrast to people from north.
    - many irish have so dirty mouth. While this can pass for males, it's horrible when it comes from woman's mouth. But lets be fair, it's significantly less horrible than language skills of English women haha.
    - Contrary that Irish are very welcoming in nature and that they accept other cultures (except English, but hey, there are clear historical reasons for that), they still seem to actually dislike foreigners based on what I've seen around.
    - Irish spit on the floor so much.

Just have a ****. You'll feel a lot better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget the kids Jackie and Bill in the buggie.
    And their greasy fast food bag.

I grew up in limerick and its gotten too clean these days. Still love seeing families feeding themselves in chicken hut.

I like that bit of down to earth griminess about dublin. Id hate for dublin to be posh. Dublin will never be posh or clean cut. It would be too generic and the life would be gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nah, I don't hate Ireland. I'm just a bit disappointed about Ireland in regards to its hype before landing here. Lets be honest - This place has one of the highest standards of living with pretty high salaries. Combine this with in general very foreigner-tolerant mentality and a laidback, low stress environment and there you have one of the potentially best places in the world with a good life balance to settle your ass in.

But Ireland is great, don't judge the rest of the country by Dublin (or most of the other towns for that matter). Get out and have a look at some of the beautiful countryside and meet some decent people. Or at least go to the nice parts of Dublin; Howth, the south east, the mountains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

Just sounds like you're staying in the wrong area mate. Get out of the Northside and you'll see.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Did you not just say

Yes. I said very tolerant people, but with having embedded dislike towards foreigners. For instance, I can dislike somebody, but to a higher extend I won't show this on the outside. I may talk to him, I may smile to him, I may normally serve him, I may be correct, but inside I dislike him and on the longer run I wouldn't befriend him / be interested in him.

In some countries I was never smiled at. People threw stuff in my face. My order never arrived or it arrived after everybody else got their stuff first, even if they ordered later that I did. People acted douche, snobby etc... now these people not only disliked me, but they were also intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We don't take kindly to folks that don't take kindly round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Nah, I don't hate Ireland. I'm just a bit disappointed about Ireland in regards to its hype that I received before landing here. Lets be honest - This place has one of the highest standards of living with pretty high salaries. Combine this with in general very foreigner-tolerant mentality and a laidback, low stress environment and there you have one of the potentially best places in the world with a good life balance to settle your ass in.

@ hondatown OP

What country are you from originally? If you don't like Dublin, move back home, simple.

No city is perfect and every city has its good and bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

No, you're not... Don't lie!!

A pessimist is never disappointed. ;)

zetalambda wrote: »
    Just have a ****. You'll feel a lot better :)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

We don't take kindly to folks that don't take kindly round here.

What film was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Dublin is the sh1t stain on the underpants of Ireland.

:D

Edit: man that's a hilarious phrase. I'm crying laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What film was that?

South Park Sexual Harassment Panda episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My big issue with Dubs is the amount of them that quote a huge post again and again and again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement