Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there 'parties' in UCD like in many American colleges?

Options
  • 02-07-2017 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I might be going to UCD in September but it does seem like a big campus and AFAIK, I haven't heard much about parties on campus like universities in the US.

Do they hold them somewhere else or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK, the on campus residences have a no party policy, but there are at least 2 bars on campus.

Ireland doesn't have the frat house culture seen in the USA, but plenty of ordinary house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Eh you wouldn't want an "all university" style party. It's hard enough to know people in UCD without the invite list being 30,000. There are small parties on campus. Really small. UCD doesn't really like alcohol, but it can't be everywhere at once. Also some socs and clubs get licences for certain events.

Lower your expectations. Expect something more in the region of a dozen people in a flat in Merville with some cans who can't make too much noise in case the RA comes knocking, rather than a couple of hundred camped near the secret lakes strumming guitars and singing come-by-ya whilst coming down.

Also two bars Victor? Isn't the second one full-time staff only?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its called Coppers JeanJolie. Or "Copper Face Jacks" if you need to google it.

Also two bars Victor? Isn't the second one full-time staff only?
    Student bar and sports bar? It's been a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK, the on campus residences have a no party policy, but there are at least 2 bars on campus.

Ireland doesn't have the frat house culture seen in the USA, but plenty of ordinary house parties.

Intersting. I was asking because that's one thing my mother always worried about when I entered college 'bad influence' as an adult. She thought that US, UK and Irish colleges were filled with drugs.

Seems pretty rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Intersting. I was asking because that's one thing my mother always worried about when I entered college 'bad influence' as an adult. She thought that US, UK and Irish colleges were filled with drugs.

Seems pretty rare

Thats a bit of a myth. Yeah college nights out can be wild but nothing like what you see in US movies. Drug culture can exist pretty much anywhere, it doesn't have to be a university setting, and it depends on the circles you mix with. Most I ever had at college was weed, but there were groups who would take E and speed. It's not rampant but if you go looking for it, you will probably come across it.

jeanjolie wrote: »

Seems pretty rare
    I imagine it's the same in many places - it depends on the circles you hang out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Victor wrote: »
    Student bar and sports bar? It's been a while.

Just the one (for students) these days I think - though it is very nice imo.

Advertisement