Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about tomato plants

Options
  • 02-07-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I bought these a few weeks ago but I read that you should cut off side shoots, what are side shoots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

It is the second head that's growing middle right of your pick.
    You should remove it as early as possible so the main head gets feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

I'm sorry but I don't understand

I'm sorry but I don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

On your first picture, you see the flowers. At the same level on the right side, you see a branch coming from the main plante. That is the part you should cut. It is creating a new "head".
    You should have only one "head" on your tomatoe and that's the one at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You are looking to form one main stem with no branches. Make sure plant is supported and stem not strangled by ties.

Do you see where the big leaves meet the main stem?

There is another smaller stem (branch) growing out of that junction, on the top side of the big leaf.

Cut or break it off. It is usually much smaller than the ones in your photo. Be careful not to pull it so that it rips back.onto the main stem.

The bunches of yellow flowers come from points between the big leaves on the main stem.
    This is known as an intertnodal point.

Usually you would let 5 bunches of flowers form and then also pinch out/cut the growing tip of the plant 2 big leaves above the 5th bunch of flowers.

More flowers will form on the bunches.

Your plants look good amd healthy.
    Make sure they stay watered on hot days and watch out for damp days later in the year,. I have a large tray under my pots and ensure there us always water in the trays as tomatoes are thirsty plants and if not watered properly the fruit will split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Using the below image, small suckers (branches/shoots) should be removed. They grow in the leaf axials (where leaf joins main stem).

Flower clusters grow between leaves on main stem.

tomato-diagram-2_crop_web.jpg?ssl=1

Thank you both so much for that detailed information. I understand it a lot better now. Thanks again

Thank you both so much for that detailed information. I understand it a lot better now. Thanks again

Advertisement