Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi - what to do with it

Options
  • 03-07-2017 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭

What are you doing with your Pi?

Got a raspberry pi for christmas. got recalbox up and running on it, played a game and said to myself, grand that worked.

once that was done, i put it away and haven't used it since. I have an android TV both with kodi on it, so i didnt need it for watching tv. i don't play a lot of games -

so i have this fairly neat piece of kit doing nothing. has anyone any suggestions?

what are you doing with yours?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I bought one today to build my own Alexa/Ghome.
    Have all the parts, just need a speaker.

I'm in two minds about getting a USB powered speaker and running it off the Pi3, getting a self powered 3.5mm speaker, or getting some kind of audio board/amp and wiring it into that. That's the preferred option but the one I don't know anything about.

Was looking online and found some boards that I didn't understand. They were called tpa2016 boards. If I could figure them out, I'd say it'd be perfect.

I actually bought a PS3 eye toy for cheap online as it comes with a good 4-way mic and I might be able to use the camera for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

My pi is setup as security dvr. it records security camera footage . I can log in and view the system from anywhere on my phone. a script on it makes sure the dynamic dns is always correct, so i don't have a static ip, but my web address always points to correct ip. suppose i am going to have to buy another now to mess with, as that one now has job now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Use my Raspberry Pi 3 to check out open source software, like Libre Office. I've managed to get the thing to print wirelessly to my Epson workforce 2010.

Useful too, for learning a bit of python.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I just bought one today, just to mess with, or possibly run Kodi on. But I have an idea for a project, but I've no idea how to go about it.

Basically, I want to create an arcade/media player for a crew cab type van. one LCD touchscreen on the front dash and a few more screens in the back of the headrests. hide the pi under the dash, feed a USB hub to the dash so passengers can load files to it, hook up the audio to the van stereo.

What I don't know is possible is multiple (up to 3) LCD screens off one pi, and also pairing up Bluetooth game controllers to it. I'd like it to be as wireless as possible.

has anyone attempted similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I use mine as a 2nd Kodi box or for Retropie. I also use it for emulating the Commodore Amiga, though I can't figure out how to get WHDLoad to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I got fed up trying to install Retropie on mine and threw it in the attic. :angel:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Using mine as a Pihole DNS server, have configured my Eircom router to hand out the Pi's IP address as a DNS server in DHCP settings.

swampgas wrote: »
    Using mine as a Pihole DNS server, have configured my Eircom router to had out the Pi's IP address as a DNS server in DHCP settings.

Guess i know what I'm setting up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Had mine setup as a VPN, meant I could stream Irish channels/SKY Go etc when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

sKeith wrote: »
    My pi is setup as security dvr. it records security camera footage . I can log in and view the system from anywhere on my phone. a script on it makes sure the dynamic dns is always correct, so i don't have a static ip, but my web address always points to correct ip. suppose i am going to have to buy another now to mess with, as that one now has job now.

Could you provide more details on your setup, I’d like to build something similar, I’m particularly interested in setting up a WiFi based security system with good quality outdoor cameras and some kind of cloud storage setup.
    Was also looking at goabode.com as an off the shelf as it also integrates with Alexa and nest, but I also like the idea of doing it myself.

Appreciate any info you can share......

• Advertisement

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Could you provide more details on your setup, I’d like to build something similar, I’m particularly interested in setting up a WiFi based security system with good quality outdoor cameras and some kind of cloud storage setup.
    Was also looking at goabode.com as an off the shelf as it also integrates with Alexa and nest, but I also like the idea of doing it myself.

Appreciate any info you can share......

Will try explain my setup fully for you this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking into building an arcade from an Ikea table myself. Any recommendations on where to buy the arduino / buttons. I'm guessing some chinese site but wondering what the best one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Looking into building an arcade from an Ikea table myself. Any recommendations on where to buy the arduino / buttons. I'm guessing some chinese site but wondering what the best one is?

Was this from the recent Make email?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Was this from the recent Make email?

Huh? Sorry not sure what email you're referring to?

Advertisement