Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply for HP P6215UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honest reply: I don't know, it's an old OEM machine on LGA775.

Save up & get a second-hand machine on Adverts; even a <€200 home-built PC is fine & gives you a much better base to start with for upgrading - especially in terms of "will it fit?

Q9550 / GTX 660

Q6600 / HD7870

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Honest reply: I don't know, it's an old OEM machine on LGA775.

Save up & get a second-hand machine on Adverts; even a <€200 home-built PC is fine & gives you a much better base to start with for upgrading - especially in terms of "will it fit?

Q9550 / GTX 660

Q6600 / HD7870

Thanks for the info and links.

The only options I was thinking of was either upgrade certain parts in the HP PC, or dire last option spend out on a new one.

They`d be for Photoshop/Adobe Lightroom..

This is the only PSU I can find......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lite-On-PE-6451-1-450W-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-/282472840105?epid=645591393&hash=item41c4b17ba9%3Ag%3AwAwAAOSw-3FZFGob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only thing is that your PC as it is is barely worth as much as the new power supply!

Better option is to save up a bit more and buy a 2nd hand i5 machine on Ebay for €150 that will be twice as fast in Photoshop.

Or even a €100 i3. It would still be faster and upgradable to i5/i7 down the line. Your PC is just too old, it cannot really be upgraded from where it is now. The fastest CPU your board would support is still not great by modern standards and would be expensive as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

The only thing is that your PC as it is is barely worth as much as the new power supply!

Better option is to save up a bit more and buy a 2nd hand i5 machine on Ebay for €150 that will be twice as fast in Photoshop.

Or even a €100 i3. It would still be faster and upgradable to i5/i7 down the line. Your PC is just too old, it cannot really be upgraded from where it is now. The fastest CPU your board would support is still not great by modern standards and would be expensive as well.

Makes sense...
    Alpha8 wrote: »
    That PSU is actually worse ;)

My luck eh....

EG something like this for €175 delivered to Ireland is way faster than your current machine and a lot more upgradable down the line also.

Will the new PSU worked out, no problems with it so far.

I'd like to get an SSD next, so I'm assuming that be fairly easy to fit??

Then after that some RAM, 8gb or 16gb,depending on the price and how easy it'll be to find for such an old pc.

I'm not after anything fancy or expensive...

Thanks.

Your motherboard cannot take more than 8Gb RAM (due to its Intel G43 chipset), and it won't run at speeds above DDR3-1333.
    Additionally, be aware that you need a 64-bit Windows OS to take advantage of more than 3.5Gb

DDR3 is fairly cheap & available still, especially at lower speeds.

SSD can be fit anywhere, since it has no moving parts (just keep it away from any hot components, e.g. heatsinks).

• Advertisement

Your motherboard cannot take more than 8Gb RAM (due to its Intel G43 chipset), and it won't run at speeds above DDR3-1333.
    Additionally, be aware that you need a 64-bit Windows OS to take advantage of more than 3.5Gb

DDR3 is fairly cheap & available still, especially at lower speeds.

SSD can be fit anywhere, since it has no moving parts (just keep it away from any hot components, e.g. heatsinks).
    Would you suggest some RAM sticks, the best config??

MemoryC.ie have decent prices on
    https://www.memoryc.ie/computer-memory/ddr3.html#Capacity[/url][]=4GB&Capacity[]=8GB&Single_Module_or_Dual_kit[]=Dual+channel+kit&Single_Module_or_Dual_kit[]=Quad+channel+kit&orderby=price&page=0 

4Gb & 8Gb kits (€35 for 4Gb, €68 for 8Gb)

Up to you if you want to augment your current sticks (+4Gb) or replace them entirely (+8Gb)

I'm getting confused here now - did you actually need to buy a new PSU or what was the point of the upgrade? I would just get a handful of cheap 2nd hand DDR3 sticks on adverts for €15-20 and bring the ram to 8GB.

A new SSD makes some sense but the new power supply doesn't (assuming the old one is OK) nor does spending big money on new ram sticks. If you went to sell it tomorrow with the new SSD, 8GB ram and new PSU you would still barely get €100 for it.

https://www.memoryc.ie/computer-memory/ddr3.html#Capacity[/url][]=4GB&Capacity[]=8GB&Single_Module_or_Dual_kit[]=Dual+channel+kit&Single_Module_or_Dual_kit[]=Quad+channel+kit&orderby=price&page=0 

Up to you if you want to augment your current sticks (+4Gb) or replace them entirely (+8Gb)
    That`s what I was thinking, might as well get the max out of it, nice and cheap.

I'm getting confused here now - did you actually need to buy a new PSU or what was the point of the upgrade? I would just get a handful of cheap 2nd hand DDR3 sticks on adverts for €15-20 and bring the ram to 8GB.

A new SSD makes some sense but the new power supply doesn't (assuming the old one is OK) nor does spending big money on new ram sticks. If you went to sell it tomorrow with the new SSD, 8GB ram and new PSU you would still barely get €100 for it.
    The old PSU, there was a burning smell coming from it, also saw some spark/flash type electricity coming from it also.

I figure a new SSD and max out the RAM, might as well get the most out of it all for now and see how it runs.

How about this one?

https://www.memoryc.ie/18108-8gb-team-elite-plus-black-ddr3-pc3-14900-1866mhz-cl13-dual-channel-kit.html

Advertisement