Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Club Recommendations

Options
  • 03-07-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm fairly new to mtb and am interested in joining a club - mainly to help me improve but also for the social side, discovering new trails, etc. I've already gone on a trial spin with one club but would like to try out a few others before I make a decision and join one. Can anyone recommend any clubs??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I'm based in Dublin.

I'd really like a club that has quite a few members of different ability levels and maybe different disciplines within mtb....so options to do xc, enduro, downhill, etc. Also, ideally one that has mid-week evening spins as well as weekends spins.

The long-term goal is to race enduro.

Mountain biking a few years but never joined a club, not much happening my neck of the woods in general with mtb, so we just build our own trails. Surely there's loads of clubs in the Dublin region, sorry can't be of much help. Few trails on strava, causes headaches now and again but might help. Looks like I could make it to ticknock tomorrow

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mountain biking a few years but never joined a club, not much happening my neck of the woods in general with mtb, so we just build our own trails. Surely there's loads of clubs in the Dublin region, sorry can't be of much help. Few trails on strava, causes headaches now and again but might help. Looks like I could make it to ticknock tomorrow

I've started using strava and I do Ballinstoe/Ticknock at least once per week but it gets a bit boring when I'm always on my own. The few times I've gone with other people, I've enjoyed it more and ridden a lot better.

I've only come across Mad and Epic so far.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin.

I'd really like a club that has quite a few members of different ability levels and maybe different disciplines within mtb....so options to do xc, enduro, downhill, etc. Also, ideally one that has mid-week evening spins as well as weekends spins.

The long-term goal is to race enduro.

The 3 biggest MTB clubs in Dublin are Epic, MAD and IMBRC. Depending on where you are based it would probably be worth going out for a spin with each of them to get a feel for what works best for you!

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    The 3 biggest MTB clubs in Dublin are Epic, MAD and IMBRC. Depending on where you are based it would probably be worth going out for a spin with each of them to get a feel for what works best for you!

Thanks. I've actually contacted two of them already and got no reply but I'll try again.

Thanks. I've actually contacted two of them already and got no reply but I'll try again.

Certainly with Epic you would be best going onto their website and sticking a post up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MAD generally do a monthly intro spin. I found them very welcoming, even if (at the time) I decided mountain biking wasn't for me. If a new mtb wasn't n+3 I'd be going back tbh!

http://madmtb.com/v2_0/get-involved/

Macy0161 wrote:
    MAD generally do a monthly intro spin. I found them very welcoming, even if (at the time) I decided mountain biking wasn't for me. If a new mtb wasn't n+3 I'd be going back tbh!

Not sure what you mean, but there are some gems in the second hand market?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I can speak only for Mad and they are very welcoming. they would have guys in XC , Enduro , Downhill.
    they do intro spins for new members very often so definitely have a chat with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure what you mean, but there are some gems in the second hand market?
    Just lower down my wishlist, with my limited funds!

Op, make sure you check out bike park Ireland and the gap (when it opens), for a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Would it make sense to set up a facebook group page e.g. 'Dublin Mountains MTB' whereby users can suggest meet ups and others can join, e.g. Ticknock tonight @ 7pm and others can chime in if they wish to join.

I suggested this on another thread but got no response. I don't know if people are just not interested or maybe there's a lot more road cyclists than MTB'ers on this forum?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Would it make sense to set up a facebook group page e.g. 'Dublin Mountains MTB' whereby users can suggest meet ups and others can join, e.g. Ticknock tonight @ 7pm and others can chime in if they wish to join.

I'd be up for that. Edited to say I'd be more comfortable if it was a private FB group that people could request access too but only members could actually see posts in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You'll find most clubs already do this through their own page on facebook. You'll need to be a member to decipher some of the acronyms they use though.
    I suggested this on another thread but got no response. I don't know if people are just not interested or maybe there's a lot more road cyclists than MTB'ers on this forum?

Roadies by far out number MTB on this forum but their a few hidden in the crowd. If you're ver down Mt.Leinster direction check out The ML syndicate on facebook they're a small club but have regular spins and are very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I'm fairly new to mtb and am interested in joining a club - mainly to help me improve but also for the social side, discovering new trails, etc. I've already gone on a trial spin with one club but would like to try out a few others before I make a decision and join one. Can anyone recommend any clubs??

If you pm IMBRC on face b I'd near guarantee a response within a few mins. Very active club south west dub

I'd be up for that. Edited to say I'd be more comfortable if it was a private FB group that people could request access too but only members could actually see posts in the group.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I might be wrong here but I would have thought a lot of beginners would find joining a club a bit daunting.

What I was thinking with the fb meet up page would be that any group member could create an event, state their rider level if they like, and whoever is interested could join up.

Personally I've no interest in joining a club or entering races but I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few lads to ride the trails with and that could give me a few tips.

What I was thinking with the fb meet up page would be that any group member could create an event, state their rider level if they like, and whoever is interested could join up.

That sounds perfect. I'd probably rather do that than join an actual club. As long as people didn't mind a beginner tagging along on the less crazy trails!!

Sure we'll give it a shot so. I'll do something on it tomorrow and post a link here.

I'm a beginner myself btw ;).

You really can't beat joining a club if you're serious about starting to MTB! Far and away the best way to improve quickly and you'll never find the best trails without help!

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    You really can't beat joining a club if you're serious about starting to MTB! Far and away the best way to improve quickly and you'll never find the best trails without help!

im sure clubs are great for all sorts of reasons, but ive been mountain biking a few years now and its been all good without involving a club. progression has felt very natural generally and we re almost in downhill world now. meet some great folks out there on the trails

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

im sure clubs are great for all sorts of reasons, but ive been mountain biking a few years now and its been all good without involving a club. progression has felt very natural generally and we re almost in downhill world now. meet some great folks out there on the trails

I wouldn't knock clubs!

MTB club members have built all the best trails out there, also responsible for promoting the sport through organising races, for example, the organiser of the Enduro world series in Ireland was a member of the IMBRC club, pushing up the standard of mountain biking.. And through clubs promoting good relations with other forestry users such as hikers, runners, horse riders and land owners... As well as representing MTB'ing within cycling Ireland.. The current World XC master champ also is responsible for the massive rise in popularity of Cyclo-Cross racing.. MTB clubs usually always have at least one REC certified first aider on spins and have first aid kits with them also...

Of course, fly solo, Mtb'ing is great for getting away from it all on your own, but the best and only way to progress beyond what you thought you could do is through a club such as EPIC, Worc, Imbrc, Mad and all the many clubs around the country....

There you go lads,

Event created for tomorrow evening:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1289583967816652/

Advertisement