Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback 2017

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

BMMachine wrote: »
    thats the important word here. is it a newspaper? like really? Its paper, thats true... but news? That'll take some convincing. I'd be in favour of banning it across the whole website just to wean people off reading that kind of thing. To me it would be like outlawing purposely ramming your head into a wall.

anyway so, the humour thread guys....

Regardless whether you like it or not, to ban something is a restriction of free speech
    I dont read the sun but i also dont read the star/mirror/etc
    Why ban one and not the other they are all the same nonsense
    Nonsense to ban something just because its not your taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

That's lovely, but there's no free speech on Boards.ie

That's lovely, but there's no free speech on Boards.ie

He must be thinking of boards.us :pac:

• BMMachine wrote: »
    thats the important word here. is it a newspaper? like really? Its paper, thats true... but news? That'll take some convincing. I'd be in favour of banning it across the whole website just to wean people off reading that kind of thing. To me it would be like outlawing purposely ramming your head into a wall.

anyway so, the humour thread guys....

Another year, another moan about the humor thread from you :o

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Another year, another moan about the humor thread from you :o

it was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MagicIRL wrote: »
    No feedback regarding posting goals / gifs that aren't hosted on boards? I. E. Linking to a third party website.

When you're all done moaning about a feckin' newspaper could I get a reply to this please?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When you're all done moaning about a feckin' newspaper could I get a reply to this please?
    It's all covered in the sticky

Local mods have no control over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Beasty wrote: »
    It's all covered in the sticky

Local mods have no control over this

Is that not out of date though, I'm sure I heard that the PL had an agreement with Twitter, so posting of tweets that have highlights should be allowed?

Sorry, to clarify, I thought it would be more about tweets these days and not Vines as the sticky states, vine is gone I think, and there is no mention of twitter in that. is twitter fair game?

I can understand boards.ie not wanting people to upload material to their forum and by extension servers, but I cannot fathom how utilising the embed feature or even directly linking to a third party website is banned.

You've no problems with people posting GIFs from, what I assume, are copyrighted TV shows, movies etc. (open to correction on this) Why would a goal from a match be any different?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No point raising it here. I would suggest you head over to the Help Desk or Feedback as you should get the attention of someone from the office there

Generally though posting copyrighted material anywhere on the site is not permitted. It may well be that stuff gets through but that's probably because it's not being reported.

• Advertisement

Generally though posting copyrighted material anywhere on the site is not permitted. It may well be that stuff gets through but that's probably because it's not being reported.

:confused:

Are you suggesting that no moderator, CMod, Admin or Staffer has seen any gif featuring copyright material, on this site, ever, and that the reason they haven't seen that is because no ordinary user has reported it.

I mean there's toeing the corporate line and there's downright waffle.

Come on man, at least pretend to have the user's concerns at heart here. You're an Admin, say something Adminny.

Come on man, at least pretend to have the user's concerns at heart here. You're an Admin, say something Adminny.

OK here you go

This site is not helped by sh!t stirrers who seem to go out of their way to comment negatively on comments made typically by Admins and office staff

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

and then deflect on another point to obfuscate.

I'm not here to have a go at a specific poster but this issue (Football Gifs) is specific to this sub-forum.

Why I can't get a definitive answer in the feedback thread regarding this sub-forum is perplexing.

What's the point of the thread if you're just going to send us away to some other sub-forum to repeat our question?

This defeats the whole purpose of a feedback thread, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not here to have a go at a specific poster but this issue (Football Gifs) is specific to this sub-forum.

Why I can't get a definitive answer in the feedback thread regarding this sub-forum is perplexing.

What's the point of the thread if you're just going to send us away to some other sub-forum to repeat our question?

This defeats the whole purpose of a feedback thread, imo.
    Because it's a site-wide policy that can't be changed here? I thought that was fairly obvious myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi Soccer Mods,

I've some Soccer related issues I'd appreciate your clarification on:-

This post in the Soccer Charter specifically states that:

"We view the superthreads to be limited to use for general transfer chat [daily rumours etc]/general reserve team chat/general gossip/general pre-season tour chat."

And that

"NO MATCH INCIDENT DISCUSSION WILL BE TOLERATED IN SUPERTHREADS."

Despite the rule match talk often dominates Superthread discussion and it appears that the rule is not being implemented by the Mod's.

The issue of match talk in the superthreads was discussed in detail earlier in this thread and the closest it came to any sort of conclusion on the issue is when the Mod dfx confirmed on Aug 13th that:-

”Yes, we can try out discussion in superthreads as part of the charter and see how it goes. Matchthreads though are still a very important part of the forum and can co-exist as they have been recently."

I didn't notice any formal notice in any of the Superthreads informing users (who may not be subscribed to this Feedback thread) that a match talk try out period was underway but perhaps I missed the announcement.

I would therefore appreciate Mod responses to the following:

1. Can you confirm that, for now during the "try out" period, there is no prohibition on match talk in the Superthreads?

2. Can you confirm when the try out period is scheduled to end and how we will all be informed that it has ended so we don't inadvertently end up in breach of the "no match talk" rule if the post try out period decision is that the ban on match talk in the Superthreads should remain in place?

3. What if any success criteria have been set so the result of the try out period can be objectively measured?

4. Why is the "no match talk" rule in the Soccer forum charter still in place during the try out period?

I'm agnostic as to whether match talk is permitted in the Superthreads or not but I don't understand the point of publishing a rule if you have no intention of enforcing it.

As a matter of governance across all Boards forums how are us users supposed to differentiate between rules which are enforced and those which aren't? Why keep a rule which isn't enforced? What does it achieve apart from confusion and the risk that you set a precedent which makes enforcing other rules more difficult i.e. "why are you picking on me for breaching XYZ rule when you are not enforcing the no match talk rule against BoardsUser123?"

If this isn't the place to get clarification on the above can you advise who/where I should take this to?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Personal opinion:
    1. Can you confirm that, for now during the "try out" period, there is no prohibition on match talk in the Superthreads?

2. Can you confirm when the try out period is scheduled to end and how we will all be informed that it has ended so we don't inadvertently end up in breach of the "no match talk" rule if the post try out period decision is that the ban on match talk in the Superthreads should remain in place?

3. What if any success criteria have been set so the result of the try out period can be objectively measured?

4. Why is the "no match talk" rule in the Soccer forum charter still in place during the try out period?

1. I wouldn't say no prohibition. It is being lightly moderated at the minute at our discretion.

2. I'd say the scheduled end is when the charter is rewritten and an announcement or update to this thread can be made. I think any breach of this charter during this period even in light moderation would only be following a in-thread reminder. I don't think anyone will be caught by surprise or do so inadvertently.

3. Reported posts, feedback and disruption to the flow of the thread.

4. It is easier to keep it in there and moderate it lightly than remove it and reintroduce it if it was needed. And the rewrite or removal of any part of the charter will be done after this feedback thread is closed which will probably be in the next few days.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    1. I wouldn't say no prohibition. It is being lightly moderated at the minute at our discretion.

Well that clears up nothing.

If there is in fact a "try out" period for discussion of match talk underway in the Superthreads how could the anti match talk rule be moderated in any way whatsoever? Match talk is either permitted during the try out period or it's not. Which is it?

"lightly moderated" seems to be a euphemism for "not moderated at all". Since the start of the try out period, which I assume started after your August 13th post, how many people have been "lightly moderated" for the thousands of match talk posts in the superthreads? I'll make a €10 donation to Concern and post the receipt here if you confirm the total number and link to one single instance.

It looks like you are trying to run with the hare's and chase with the hounds on this and that's not a sustainable position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Can i ask what's your issue with match talk in superthreads?

You are questioning why it's allowed but I can't recall you giving reasons why it shouldn't be, apologies if I'm wrong and I missed it.

Can i ask what's your issue with match talk in superthreads?

You are questioning why it's allowed but I can't recall you giving reasons why it shouldn't be, apologies if I'm wrong and I missed it.

I personally don't have an issue with match talk being permitted in the superthreads but there's a rule against it so my issue is "which is it?". Is match talk permitted in the superthreads, in which case the "no match talk" rule should be removed, or is match talk prohibited as the "no match talk" rule states in which case the rule should be enforced.

What's the point in having a rule and then not enforcing it?

It's silly and undermines authority. How are us ordinary users supposed to know which rules we are to obey and which rules we are free to ignore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I personally don't have an issue with match talk being permitted in the superthreads but there's a rule against it so my issue is "which is it?". Is match talk permitted in the superthreads, in which case the no match talk rule should be removed, or is match talk prohibited as the "no match talk" rule states in which case it should be enforced.

It's silly and undermines authority. How are us ordinary users supposed to know which rules we are to obey and which rules we are free to ignore?

I'd be in favour of removing rules that aren't enforced, maybe once they've decided they will remove it, or they'll decide to enforce the rule. Doesn't keep me awake at night though (not saying it does you either Je_suis)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Doesn't keep me awake at night though (not saying it does you either Je_suis)

Nothing keeps me awake at night, sleep like a baby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I personally don't have an issue with match talk being permitted in the superthreads but there's a rule against it so my issue is "which is it?". Is match talk permitted in the superthreads, in which case the "no match talk2 rule should be removed, or is match talk prohibited as the "no match talk" rule states in which case the rule should be enforced.

Cheers. It's a silly rule tbh.

The only match threads are in the main either United or LFC. The lesser supported clubs on here e.g. Chelsea or Arse rarely have match threads for individual games so their games are discussed in the respective superthreads. Its simply not feasible to enforce a rule that matches cannot be discussed live in the STs as it would mean that the forum would get clogged up with loads of threads with only a handful of people replying.

Just remove it altogether from the charter and its problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Regarding Superthreads for non-premier league/Irish football; a few weeks ago the thread title for the "La Liga 2017/18 Superthread" was something along the lines of "La Liga, Copa Del Rey, General Spanish Football 2017/2018 Superthread". Why was it changed to only La Liga? Does it not make more sense to have one thread for all football in a particular country outside Ireland and the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Regarding Superthreads for non-premier league/Irish football; a few weeks ago the thread title for the "La Liga 2017/18 Superthread" was something along the lines of "La Liga, Copa Del Rey, General Spanish Football 2017/2018 Superthread". Why was it changed to only La Liga? Does it not make more sense to have one thread for all football in a particular country outside Ireland and the UK?

It was probably changed under the assumption that any La Liga/Spanish football chat would go in there.

La Liga 2017/18 does look better and more to the point than La Liga, Copa Del Rey, General Spanish Football 2017/2018 Superthread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It was probably changed under the assumption that any La Liga/Spanish football chat would go in there.

La Liga 2017/18 does look better and more to the point than La Liga, Copa Del Rey, General Spanish Football 2017/2018 Superthread.

Would a title like "Spanish Football 2017/2018 Superthread" make more sense? Likewise for France, Germany etc

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

There shouldn't be match threads if a super thread team is playing so. No where else on the whole site is the same discussion allowed in two threads. So why here?

Creates cliques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PhilipsR wrote: »
    No where else on the whole site is the same discussion allowed in two threads. ?.

It can't be repeated enough, there is next to zero discussion in match threads.

If you want to call whatever that crap is "discussion", there is still the point that the discussion in match threads is very different to the discussion in superthreads.

• Advertisement

It can't be repeated enough, there is next to zero discussion in match threads.

I guess what you say is true if your definition of "next to zero" is 280 posts over an 11.5 hour period all of which are being "lightly moderated" apparently. ;)

I guess what you say is true if your definition of "next to zero" is 280 posts over an 11.5 hour period ;)

Its your definition of "discussion" that you might want to try googling.

Its your definition of "discussion" that you might want to try googling.

Yep, it's as I expected.

"a conversation or debate about a specific topic" which in this case is talk about the match which according to the soccer forum charter...........

Yep, it's as I expected.

"a conversation or debate about a specific topic" which in this case is talk about the match which according to the soccer forum charter...........

You think you are being smart but you are far from it. We all can read and we all know the difference between the posts in the two different types of thread.

Match threads are fast moving with a high quantity of low content reactive posts, a dozen posters typing "get in" after a goal is not a discussion worth talking about. If an exchange of thoughts between two posters did accidentally break out it would soon be swallowed by the continuing low content posts reacting to the latest happenings in the match.

If a player scores in a game I can go into the superthread and have a discussion about what that means in a bigger picture. I can have a back and forth with somebody on the subject, its a jumping off point for a discussion that simply isn't possible in the matchthreads. And thats without even getting into the fact that matchthreads are troll central, another factor that is anathema to good discussions.

Matchthreads and superthreads are very different beasts, this is a simple fact evident to anyone with the wit to see it. Telling posters that they can't discuss ongoing games in the superthreads is basically saying they can't discuss ongoing games, that all they can do is go in the matchthreads and type one liners.

The problem of having no "neutral" threads for some of the bigger matches is if the discussion takes place predominantly in one club thread, any fan of the other club, or certain neutrals, coming in to "contribute" to the discussion may be seen to be trolling. Match threads provide, in theory at least, a level playing field where fans of different clubs can interact. Yes the "discussion" may be limited with a few "oos, aahs & FFS!s" flying around, but if there is a particularly controversial incident there does tend to be quite a lot of discussion surrounding it and sometimes that can go on for a day or so (or until the match thread is closed).

The "interaction" point is also important, as if some posters simply stick to their own threads the opportunity for regulars to get to know each other better is more limited, encouraging more tit for tat stuff within the forum.

My view is for the big matches keep the match threads, but if people want to stick to their Superthread then let them. Hence there's no obligation to either start a match thread, or only post there, although I would encourage it actually as a way of cutting down a bit on the more heated "rivalry"

Indeed I can just imagine it when United play Liverpool and the posters who tend to push things to the limit push it further because they think they are on safe ground, but then some fans of the other club are up in arms about what the first lot are getting away with.

Yes it's only the big matches where it really matters - I would say we should encourage match threads whenever we have 2 out of Liverpool, United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea (hopefully Spurs;)) are involved, maybe one or two more (Newcastle, Everton and West Ham seem to have quite a few fans around here for example and there are more)

Telling posters that they can't discuss ongoing games in the superthreads is basically saying they can't discuss ongoing games, that all they can do is go in the matchthreads and type one liners.

I'm glad you agree with me bucketybuck, there's no point to the "no match talk" rule in the Superthreads unless it's enforced.

I have consistently said I'm not against match talk in the Superthread but I am against and confused by a "no match talk rule" that's never adhered to.

I offered to make a €10 donation to Concern a few days ago if dfx could point to a single instance of the "no match talk" rule being even "lightly moderated" (whatever that means) and thus far Concern remain €10 out of pocket.

To quote the Mod Business Cat "it's a silly rule tbh".

Either we can talk about upcoming, ongoing and previous matches on Superthreads, in which case there shouldn't be any rule against it (and the current rule against it should be removed) or we can't and the rule should be implemented and not faux "lightly moderated" which is just a euphemism for "not moderated at all" which undermines authority and creates a precedent where users being pulled up for breaking another rule can justifiably claim to be confused as to which rules are to be obeyed and which rules they are free to ignore because they are "lightly moderated" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The problem of having no "neutral" threads for some of the bigger matches is if the discussion takes place predominantly in one club thread, any fan of the other club, or certain neutrals, coming in to "contribute" to the discussion may be seen to be trolling.

Why not have a match day 1/2/38 insert competition here thread every week when a club doesn't have its own match thread ? No match chat in club threads makes them readable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm glad you agree with me bucketybuck, there's no point to the "no match talk" rule in the Superthreads unless it's enforced.

I have consistently said I'm not against match talk in the Superthread but I am against and confused by a "no match talk rule" that's never adhered to.

I offered to make a €10 donation to Concern a few days ago if dfx could point to a single instance of the "no match talk" rule being even "lightly moderated" (whatever that means) and thus far Concern remain €10 out of pocket.

To quote the Mod Business Cat "it's a silly rule tbh".

Either we can talk about upcoming, ongoing and previous matches on Superthreads, in which case there shouldn't be any rule against it (and the current rule against it should be removed) or we can't and the rule should be implemented and not faux "lightly moderated" which is just a euphemism for "not moderated at all" which undermines authority and creates a precedent where users being pulled up for breaking another rule can justifiably claim to be confused as to which rules are to be obeyed and which rules they are free to ignore because they are "lightly moderated" :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96978645

Pay the f*ck up.

No need to revert back to that. Match threads were grand a few years ago but now they're just dominated by a core group of posters shouting down everything. To make them an option again means you'd have to undo that.

Turtyturd wrote: »

A two year old Superthread with a Mod announcing that a match thread was open is somehow interpreted as even lightly moderating match talk in that thread?

Really? That's the best example that can be produced for how thousands of "match talk" posts in contravention of the "no match talk" rule in Soccer Superthreads have been moderated or even "lightly moderated"? "Lightly moderated" is right up there with embarrassing statements like "with mature recollection......."

Also, the very next post after the post you linked to was an announcement from a regular poster that Matic had scored in the game which was underway and guess how that was "lightly moderated"????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

d22ontour wrote: »
    Why not have a match day 1/2/38 insert competition here thread every week when a club doesn't have its own match thread ? No match chat in club threads makes them readable imo.

I said that and it was shot down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Patww79 wrote: »
    After getting our forum closed, the least you could do is show a bit of decorum about it.

I thought it was more a post being hopeful that Spurs fans would have been a bigger and bigger group of posters, dunno if addition of smiley helped with that post though tbh. Hopefully the Spurs fans who stuck around will find it a decent forum on the whole, like most of us here do (I think).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ok with that, we can close the feedback thread for this year and will get to acting on some points raised.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Update: There has been a rewriting of the superthread part of the charter, 31/10/2017.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160798&postcount=5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement