Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a place in UK without a job?

• 03-07-2017 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Just want to know if it at all possible to rent a place in London without an employment letter / NI number. I don't really have any documentation with a UK address or name on it either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I've found it to be very much dependent on the LL/Agency.
    Generally I've had to provide ID, Proof of employment &/or earnings to show I can cover the rent and references from previous landlords.

Your best bet is to contact some agencies and see what they require.
    As rental properties turn over at a stupid rate (as in fast) in London some places won't even bother with you if there is any doubt as there will most likely be somebody else ready to take the property that has everything all lined up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It'll depend on the agency, but some combination of a daft amount of rent up front (like, 6 full months on top of your deposit) and/or a guarantor who is UK-resident and either has a property or demonstrable cash funds/income to cover your rent in the event of you being unable to pay seems to be common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

username?! wrote: »
    Just want to know if it at all possible to rent a place in London without an employment letter / NI number. I don't really have any documentation with a UK address or name on it either.

Yea it is, I got a houseshare in Chelsea where I was basically subletting from another tenant who was staying there, not too common but if you look for rooms advertised by the housemates you should be able to. I found it on spareroom.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Most will allow it as long as you pay ~6 months up front. Have done that in London and Edinburgh before.

Advertisement