Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City council rejects Johnny Ronan’s Dublin skyscraper -now approved.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/battle-for-the-dublin-skyline-are-you-ready-for-johnny-ronans-world-class-hanging-gardens-38079925.html

2019-05-05_iri_50076830_I1.JPG

Johnny Ronan is doing it again! He has proposed plans for a 44 and 40 story towers in Dublin city block 9 on the north docks, just weeks after his proposal for Irelands tallest building passed through planning, looks absplutely fantastic and sincerely hope it is allowed. The tallest tower will be 3x times the height of liberty hall

Looks fab. Fingers crossed. 1000 new homes including 100 new social homes in a docklands location. All the antinprogress psychopaths will raging that their fellow humans will have somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

cgcsb wrote: »
    Looks fab. Fingers crossed. 1000 new homes including 100 new social homes in a docklands location. All the antinprogress psychopaths will raging that their fellow humans will have somewhere to live.

None of which will go on sale, all straight to rental at monopolised overinflated prices. More of the same bs.

Would love to see it built though, and more past it. That whole point depot area is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hoboo wrote: »
    None of which will go on sale, all straight to rental at monopolised overinflated prices. More of the same bs.

Would love to see it built, but for individual buyers.

The more the market is flooded, the less chance they will get away with charging overpriced rent, because people will have more choice and not accept being robbed. But when there such a scarcity of housing like now, people will take anything they can get, and pay anything thats asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The more the market is flooded, the less chance they will get away with charging overpriced rent, because people will have more choice and not accept being robbed. But when there such a scarcity of housing like now, people will take anything they can get, and pay anything thats asked

But the same few own the majority of the properties in the area, north and south, they control the market, not vice versa as.it should be. Landlords with 3000 apartments in Dublin City centre. That whole building will be kept for rental, like is being done in grand canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That looks fantastic. I can see the pigs flying in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

This to me seems better than the Tara Street Development. Like the Tara street development is right at the foot of the traditional city centre. This is fine because it’s more imbedded in the globalized soulless office district. That’s totally fine by me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/battle-for-the-dublin-skyline-are-you-ready-for-johnny-ronans-world-class-hanging-gardens-38079925.html

Johnny Ronan is doing it again! He has proposed plans for a 44 and 40 story towers in Dublin city block 9 on the north docks, just weeks after his proposal for Irelands tallest building passed through planning, looks absplutely fantastic and sincerely hope it is allowed. The tallest tower will be 3x times the height of liberty hall

Looks fantastic?

44 Tower looks like it's falling over.

Looks fantastic?

44 Tower looks like it's falling over.

Sure it’s not necessarily much to look it but it is what it is, a soulless ugly tower. But hey, we’ve a crisis in residential and office space so why not build something entirely functional that caters to these needs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Fantastic proposal...build it and build more..
    More homes = more home...No matter be they rental or for sale.
    Wake up Dublin..

Absolutely pathetic comments from Labour on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Zipppy wrote: »
    Fantastic proposal...build it and build more..
    More homes = more home...No matter be they rental or for sale.
    Wake up Dublin..

You end up with Ballymun like estates that will be demolished in a few years. The housing crisis is easily solved rather than jamming ugly monstrosities all over the place. I have no issue as such with high rise but we should ensure there is some beauty to the buildings that make up our capital city.
    Absolutely pathetic comments from Labour on this.
    Do you want to tell us what they said?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Docklands is the ideal place to put high rise developments in really. It's all glass and high tech down there anyway now, like a totally different city to the city centre. I love strolling around there.
    As a matter of fact went for a walk with a friend who works in Citywest, and he really had no idea of the size and scope of the place. He has no need to go the City much, and would never go down there either!
    I think it will add to that quarter myself, and cannot see any reason not to encourage more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Should find a place for a replacement Bus Station (for Busaras) down there somewhere too. Great connections with Luas. Then use Busaras as the New Abbey Theatre or something nice like that. It is a wonderful Art Deco building choking with diesel fumes.

There is so much could be done to enhance the city. It just seems to take a generation to achieve much. But I am optimistic. And I don't care about who develops it, just get it done FGS.

I think the existing bus aras is a good site for a new central bus station. It could have multiple sub levels and accommodate more than one bus operator, a bizzar set up in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

madbeanman wrote: »

Pathetic...

(their response, not your post)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Back to bending over backwards for social housing. FFS why do we need social housing in city centre locations? For every single person unit in the city centre you could house 2-3 families elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

looks amazing

Mr Ring said he found a "very negative reaction" to the proposals as he canvassed ahead of the local elections.

"Most people really don't like it," he said.

People don't like a large building on derelict land on the waterfront? Really? Where exactly was he canvassing? On what grounds were people not liking it?
    "Is it Johnny Ronan's gardens of Babylon? This isn't Manhattan. This is Dublin and right now we have a huge housing crisis and this isn't something we need."

Absurd. Dublin needs accommodation of all varieties. From high level all the way to social housing. It's called balanced development.. Quite clearly his own personal thoughts on Johnny Ronan are clouding his already clouded mind.

What's this populist thoughtless fool's plan for 'de housin crisis'?

I sent an email to my local politicians running for LE with a list of questions, namely their policy on housing, density and transport and well, Jesus wept, of those that replied some of the answers would make you cry. Answers ranged from rent caps, freezes on evictions, forcing developers to offer 60% social housing as part of their planning permission and only building to 4 or 5 storeys.

• Advertisement

Nial Ring is normally fairly reasonable to be fair. At least in comparison to the far left nutters that take up a lot of the council seats. Left to their own devices the whole city would be a giant council estate which is why the bypassing of planning to ABP was required.
    Unfortunately ABP have their own issues.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nial Ring is normally fairly reasonable to be fair. At least in comparison to the far left nutters that take up a lot of the council seats. Left to their own devices the whole city would be a giant council estate which is why the bypassing of planning to ABP was required.
    Is it Johnny Ronan's gardens of Babylon? This isn't Manhattan.

that is neither reasonable nor constructive... that's a judgement based on personal prejudice

I did say 'normally' and 'in comparison'.

I did say 'normally' and 'in comparison'.

he let himself down so

or else he's grandstanding in advance of a vote

either way - that's not the sort of representation Dublin needs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think the existing bus aras is a good site for a new central bus station. It could have multiple sub levels and accommodate more than one bus operator, a bizzar set up in this day and age

It's an extremely protected building, so there's limited scope as to what can be done with it.

Once (if) Metrolink is finished, I'd move the bus station to the Airport, then renovate Bus Aras as high spec offices upstairs, an open air market under the canopy, and a plaza where the buses currently park.

Delighted that Ronan got planning permission of his tower at Tara St, and the plans for the site in the Docklands looks good too.

Nial Ring is a joke of a mayor to be honest. He's ultra car-orientated, to the point that he doesn't see the problem with parking his mayors car in a cycle lane during rush hour. Not a cyclist myself, but the idea that we can continue growing Dublin without significant change to how we get around is just not a runner anymore.

He is a Dublin central representative in the North inner city. His voter base is predominantly the permanent residents of the city centre, many of whom live in council estates. Renters in Irl do not typically register their vote at their 'temporary' address so disenfranchise themselves.
    So yes he is appealing to the locals who believe that their kids have a divine right to a house 2 mins away from Mammy's house. The system is dysfunctional but there is no will to change it unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He told a blatant lie in his response to this Ronan proposal:

"Mr Ring said he found a "very negative reaction" to the proposals as he canvassed ahead of the local elections."

The proposals he's referring to were literally only published and made available the day before he said this. Unless he printed them out straight away and brought them around to a load of houses, I think he's telling fibs.

Amirani wrote: »

"Mr Ring said he found a "very negative reaction" to the proposals as he canvassed ahead of the local elections."

The proposals he's referring to were literally only published and made available the day before he said this. Unless he printed them out straight away and brought them around to a load of houses, I think he's telling fibs.

pathetic

Amirani wrote: »

I thought this too. I think he mixed up the Tara Street development (which there is a small chance he may have possibly gotten some comments about) and this one (which it is super unlikely to impossible that he got comments about). It’s not great if the Mayor is doing something like that

• Advertisement

madbeanman wrote: »
    I thought this too. I think he mixed up the Tara Street development (which there is a small chance he may have possibly gotten some comments about) and this one (which it is super unlikely to impossible that he got comments about). It’s not great if the Mayor is doing something like that

not sure that he did get the proposal wrong - he did refer to the hanging gardens aspect of it

Advertisement