Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City council rejects Johnny Ronan’s Dublin skyscraper -now approved.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nial Ring being held up as the (normally) reasonable one is new to me.

Ring on the Amiens St. to Clontarf cycle lane.
    The Irish Times quoted Ring: “Most importantly, nobody has ever considered the effect of traffic congestion on the mental health of drivers, but increased road rage incidents indicate that driving is stressful enough without adding to journey times with this madcap lane reduction proposal.”

https://irishcycle.com/2015/08/03/councillor-objecting-to-cycle-route-on-mental-health-ground-is-a-serial-objector-to-cycle-paths/

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/02/20/sociable-lord-mayor-uses-up-annual-beer-allowance-in-seven-months

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-defends-hosting-gathering-for-unregulated-crisis-pregnancy-agency-4513779-Feb2019/

Between those and having the audacity to park his car on the cycle lane in O'Connell Street in broad daylight, the man can't avoid controversy. And now he's been caught lying and making ludicrous comparisons involving Manhattan. Worst Lord Mayor since Christy Burke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hey I am not defending the guy but in the context of DCC he is not the nuttiest. That is not a compliment to him more than a commentary on the council as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The 'Lord Mayor' is a dated, nonsense role, should be abolished, a pure and simple waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cgcsb wrote: »
    The 'Lord Mayor' is a dated, nonsense role, should be abolished, a pure and simple waste of money.

Hopefully soon we'll have directly elected mayors..

lawred2 wrote: »

There is the threat that they'll keep this waste of skin on the pay roll anyway though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

lawred2 wrote: »

I'm not sure if it helps to be honest, people will elect someone like him or a major NIMBY. Why would they vote in a progressive mayor if they don't vote for progressive councillors?

strandroad wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it helps to be honest, people will elect someone like him or a major NIMBY. Why would they vote in a progressive mayor if they don't vote for progressive councillors?

It'll be harder to get elected. There's lots of councillors, lots of seats. Only one seat for mayor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It'll be harder to get elected. There's lots of councillors, lots of seats. Only one seat for mayor

One seat that will goto Sinn Fein.

See 2014 euro elections. SF won by a large margin. So plenty of social housing on its way instead of actual development in prime areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hoboo wrote: »
    But the same few own the majority of the properties in the area, north and south, they control the market, not vice versa as.it should be. Landlords with 3000 apartments in Dublin City centre. That whole building will be kept for rental, like is being done in grand canal.
    Post reflects a failure to understand the basic premise of supply and demand it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Post reflects a failure to understand the basic premise of supply and demand it would seem.

Lol so snarky and patronizing.

Anyways, to get back on topic, I am confused as to at what stage this hanging gardens development project is at. He hasn’t submitted planning documents to ABP right? He is consulting with the council over it atm?

• Advertisement

madbeanman wrote: »
    Lol so snarky and patronizing.

Anyways, to get back on topic, I am confused as to at what stage this hanging gardens development project is at. He hasn’t submitted planning documents to ABP right? He is consulting with the council over it atm?

That's what I can't get my head round either, at over 1,000 homes this goes straight to ABP. DCC proved to be uncooperative during the Tara St fiasco, they had an eye watering 15 meetings with him about the design and how it fits into the LAP (which specifies high rise at this site) and then they refuse permission on grounds of height.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That's what I can't get my head round either, at over 1,000 homes this goes straight to ABP. DCC proved to be uncooperative during the Tara St fiasco, they had an eye watering 15 meetings with him about the design and how it fits into the LAP (which specifies high rise at this site) and then they refuse permission on grounds of height.

I think they actually refused permission on grounds of design though, it was related to height of course, they would have allowed him to build an ugly small building there, but werent happy with an ugly building if he chose to build it to its full height potential

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    One seat that will goto Sinn Fein.

See 2014 euro elections. SF won by a large margin. So plenty of social housing on its way instead of actual development in prime areas.

Single seat, SF do not receive large amounts of transfers. Either a popular Independent or one of FF/FG (or Labour if the Dublin vote recovers at any point in the future) would get it every time. It would never be decided on count 1.

L1011 wrote: »
    Single seat, SF do not receive large amounts of transfers. Either a popular Independent or one of FF/FG (or Labour if the Dublin vote recovers at any point in the future) would get it every time. It would never be decided on count 1.

Yes but given that there is a left wing majority then they would more likely transfer to SF than FG. I also think they will get more transfer friendly as time passes.

Yes but given that there is a left wing majority then they would more likely transfer to SF than FG. I also think they will get more transfer friendly as time passes.

The mayor would be all-county not just DCC.

FF/FG did much better in the 3 counties; most of the other left vote really really dislikes SF; and much of the Independent vote is far from left-wing on all 4.

Unless SF scarified an extremely high profile elected rep for it - O Broin possibly - they wouldn't get it. And that only happens for London as London has partial devolution; its very likely that the directly elected mayor will just replace the city/county manager roles.

Just FYI there was a debate about the hanging gardens on Prime Time on Thursday night if anyone was interested. They weren’t really nimbyish about it

Current polling specific to the upcoming election in Dublin has FG largest party and SF level third with Labour on first preferences, if played out at the ballot box that would have SF fourth most likely due to the transfer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

is the building at tara st definitely going to be built now or is there anything that can be done to try and block it again now that they were successful in eventually getting the planning?

is the building at tara st definitely going to be built now or is there anything that can be done to try and block it again now that they were successful in eventually getting the planning?

Yeah, I think it is going ahead. Any article I read said building would commence “soon”.

Thankfully there is nothing left the NIMBYs can do now to stop it going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there going to be any closures of the train station during construction of the Tara St project? Seems like a very tight space to be building in.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there going to be any closures of the train station during construction of the Tara St project? Seems like a very tight space to be building in.

Doubt it, the site is separate from the station but metro construction and building an interchage will likely mean some disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Right. I presume there will be a lot of traffic disruption to Tara St though in getting concrete and supplies in? In favour of it going ahead but just thinking between this tower, the Metro and Apollo House that the Pearse/Tara St corridor could be looking at traffic disruption for nigh on a decade by the time all three projects are complete. Its undoubtedly going to be some very testing years for people commuting that route. I wonder what DCC might do to try to mitigate it, you'd hope the site is working at weekends to speed it up and minimize the duration of disruption.

I wonder what DCC might do to try to mitigate it,

Well remember when the NTA/TII went ahead and built luas cross city, which took 6 years to complete and in that time DCC had plenty of time to sort out a traffic management plan to accommodate the cross city luas (i.e. pedestrianisation and reorganisation of other streets) and in that time precisely nothing was done. Think along those lines for what to expect.

IIRC the initial rejected proposal incorporated a new Tara St. station but the new scaled-back approved design does not; but it is anticipated there will be significant disruption to street itself.

They side construction would commence immediately, but I don’t see it. I presume you are looking at quite a long turnaround time for a project of this scale but does anyone know anything further?

Demolition work needs to be done first and there is kit on-site for that now.

L1011 wrote: »
    Demolition work needs to be done first and there is kit on-site for that now.

Good to know, I haven't noticed any site activity.

I hope the big squirrel is still visible during/after

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Good to know, I haven't noticed any site activity.

I hope the big squirrel is still visible during/after

The squirrel will go as part of the development. They had started erecting the hoarding the other day. It's really going to improve the general area. It's been such a kip for so many years.

• Advertisement

The squirrel is better than looking at the ugly empty wall next door, but can we all stop acting like it's the greatest piece of modern art in history? Surely they'll find some place to move it, but if not... who cares?

Advertisement