Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good tomato soup, without meat

Options
  • 03-07-2017 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions? Greek Youghurt? Stock, blend tomatoes'? salt and pepper, onion? have a hand blender, so blend them up? :) really struggle to cook, especially since I quit meat 2 years ago. Food quality is 'good' but variety is a desperate struggle.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

As usual, a good analysis from Felicity Cloake. However, she ends up using chicken stock, saying, "Vegetarians should go for a well-diluted vegetable stock".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried the Souper Soup thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791687
    I'm not sure if there's a recipe for tomato soup in there but there are lots of vegetable soups, lentil soup etc.

I've made this Italian vegetable soup from the BBC Good food site and it's really good, very tomato-y and could be a main course. There's parmesan in it but you could leave it out if you don't eat it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1094667/italian-vegetable-soup

If you're looking for a light, minestrone type soup I make this:
    2 large carrots
    a large onion
    2 sticks of celery
    a few slices of turnip or swede (optional)
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    a tablespoon of tomato puree
    a teaspoon of dried basil
    a teaspoon of oregano
    salt and black pepper
    1litre of hot water
    2 vegetable stock cubes
    some spaghetti broken into short pieces, or any pasta
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    Dice the veg and throw it into a big pot with the water, garlic and stock cubes and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the veg is soft. Add the tomatoes and blend until almost smooth. Add the basil, tomato puree, sugar and pasta and season to taste. Bring back to the boil and simmer until the pasta is cooked.
    Keeps for 5-6 days in the fridge.
    *The reason I leave the tomatoes out until the veg is soft is because I find that carrots stay hard when cooked with tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I really like Jamie Oliver's tomato soup recipe. I can't link it on my phone but if you google it you shouldn't have a problem finding it.

For variety have a look in the "what I had for dinner" thread. You could filter it by user Shenshen who does vegetarian food that always makes me envious!

Advertisement