Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging European equipment in US

• 03-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

It has been a while since I was in US and was wondering if my assumptions about charging equipment is still accurate.

If my charger tells me it handles 100-240V, I only need a plug adapter ?
    Will the charge take longer as lower voltage in US ?

For any USB charged items incl. power banks will a local US charger be quicker than a European one ?

I remember my laptop to take a lot longer to charge in US.This was way back when and not sure if my charger at the time had the 100-240V range.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

It has been a while since I was in US and was wondering if my assumptions about charging equipment is still accurate.

If my charger tells me it handles 100-240V, I only need a plug adapter ?
    Will the charge take longer as lower voltage in US ?

For any USB charged items incl. power banks will a local US charger be quicker than a European one ?

I remember my laptop to take a lot longer to charge in US.This was way back when and not sure if my charger at the time had the 100-240V range.

I had problem in charging anything when I was there nov/dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

cena wrote: »
    I had problem in charging anything when I was there nov/dec

Thanks- Can you be more specific ? Or is there a typo and "no" is missing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

My family are over here right now and we're having no problems with any electrical items. We are using a 4 plug extension lead which was bought in woddies and that's plugged into the wall. No issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

If your equipment handles 100-240V, then yes, all you need is a socket adapter. 
    The charge shouldn't take any longer. You get up to 15A from a standard wall socket here in the US. Your equipment won't be drawing anywhere near that much current. Same answer for USB charging. The amount of current you'll get from the charger is limited to a few hundred milli amps, so it should be the same here as it is on your 220V system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Thanks all for your confirmations

• Advertisement
Advertisement