Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 - The best year in Gaming in ages

Options
  • 03-07-2017 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen this said a couple of times over the last week or so from a couple of posters. Just wondering why people are thinking this. What's making 2017 special.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Think it's cos Japanese devs finally got up to speed with this generation of consoles.

Nioh
    Yakuza 0
    Nier Automata
    The Last Guardian (could be a 2016 game)
    Zelda

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/30/15894404/japan-video-game-comeback-zelda-resident-evil-e3-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You could make the argument that it is the best ever.

Nostalgia is like a ball & chain to many best ever lists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Persona 5. Best year in gaming since Persona 4 was released :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

2009 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's started off good but never under estimate the videogame industries capacity to **** things up.

I very much doubt we will ever have a year again to match the likes of 1993, 1994, or 1997 to 2005.

There's too many spunkgargleweewee games out there that are competent but boring. Still the likes of Nier, Zelda, Nioh, Persona, Horizon, battlegrounds and a host of great indies means it has gotten off to a great start. But it's no 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd say it was a great half a year, or even one third of a year, but there's not much coming out in the second half of the year at all that's worth playing.

Sony really did hit a home-run in the first half of the year though: Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nier, and Nioh is a quite incredible list of exclusives in a three month gap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My issue with Sony being it took them long enough. Still good my PS4 is finally not my bloodborne machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cina wrote: »
    I'd say it was a great half a year, or even one third of a year, but there's not much coming out in the second half of the year at all that's worth playing.

You mean you're not excited for Knack 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Till now

Zelda
    Yakuza 0
    Horizon
    Resi 7
    Nier Automata
    Persona 5
    Injustice 2

By the end there'll be LOTS more, the beginning few months are generally the more quiet in gaming years whereas Oct-Xmas is when all the big boys start coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Crash Bandicoot and Micro Machines are currently number 1 and 2 in the sales charts. Had to remind myself that it's not 1997!

I think any year in which Breath of the Wild is released is going to be a good vintage and with Mario Odyssey due out too, it could get even better. Not much else this year has really grabbed me personally though. Mass Effect Andromeda was a big let down for me, Horizon hasn't really grabbed me and while Yakuza 0 is fun, it's not a stone wall classic.

I still want to play Prey, Torment, Nier and Resident Evil along with all the big winter releases to come but I don't know if it's a classic year just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

gimli2112 wrote: »
    2009 for me.

What was in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What was in 2009?
    Modern Warfare 2 would have been enough for me but also Borderlands and Uncharted 2. I also picked up Hotshots Golf World Tour that year but think it was released a year earlier.
    HSG WT and MW2 were my first real experiences online gaming (although I had done a bit on Resistance 2). It was glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Would love to try Horizon but I don't have a PS4, also while RE7 looks great at such a short run time I just can't justify getting it until the price goes down a bit. Zelda has blown me away (though I still think I prefer The Witcher slightly, still only a bit into Zelda though) but otherwise... nothing has really grabbed my interest too much this year to be honest.

Little Nightmares, Rime and probably Prey are on the to-do list - Rime would have me more excited except for Zelda seeming similar, only much bigger on scale and versatility.

I guess one big thing that could be said is that while Vive & Oculus Rift were around before 2017, and I might be wrong here, but this seems to have been the year we've seen "real" games begin to adopt them more like RE7, Doom and Fallout 4. With how well they are being received, that could prove a huge breakthrough historically when looking back in 15-20 years.

Hasn't been great for PC. Battlegrounds is the only memorable game I've played this year. Niet Automata wasn't great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

2013 was pretty great for AAAs, GTAV, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. Plenty of good indies that year too.

2013 was pretty great for AAAs, GTAV, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. Plenty of good indies that year too.

Bioshock Infinite was the most overrated, overly convoluted, terrible mechanically, pi$$ poor "Game of the Year" I've ever played. And I played Fallout 4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bioshock Infinite was the most overrated, overly convoluted, terrible mechanically, pi$$ poor "Game of the Year" I've ever played. And I played Fallout 4

Sorry to hear, I liked it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I just finished it, and I agree and disagree. Gameplay was average and it was far too linear etc for my liking (felt quite dated in that sense) but kind of like Doom it set out to do what it achieved extremely well in terms of story, audio and visuals and really looked and felt great quite often. That said I got it for about €5, paying €60 for it when it came out on the back of the acclaim it got would feel a bit disappointing and I have a feeling the brand pushed it's average review score up unfortunately.

Sorry to hear, I liked it a lot.

STOP HAVING FUN!!! :mad:
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I just finished it, and I agree and disagree. Gameplay was average and it was far too linear etc for my liking (felt quite dated in that sense) but kind of like Doom it set out to do what it achieved extremely well in terms of story, audio and visuals and really looked and felt great quite often. That said I got it for about €5, paying €60 for it when it came out on the back of the acclaim it got would feel a bit disappointing and I have a feeling the brand pushed it's average review score up unfortunately.

Without getting into Spoiler territory, I felt the whole story was trying to be like 5x Outer Limits episodes running concurrently

It was exactly what happened Fallout 4. Big Marketing Hype, people giving it's cr@piness a free pass. Then in cold light of day 6-12 months later, you can't remember f**k all that made it stand out

My memories
    • 2 Guns lot
    • But very gun twice, upgrade neither fully
    • Non annoying female guide quest
    • Big Bird
    • Racism
    • Ghost Couple
    • The clumsy attempts at trying to get you to use the Not-Fire Vigors
    • Robot Men with too much Health
    • THIS PART IS LITERALLY ON RAILS! F**k your explorative "open" world BS1 and BS2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think the same about TLOU tbf, different strokes and all that.

Mario Oddessy and Splatoon 2 are about the only games I'm waiting for in 2017, with Nioh to be picked up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

2017 is the year the VR rabbit hole opened up

I'm not sure what being going on in flat world..it all seems so distant now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bambi wrote: »
    2017 is the year the VR rabbit hole opened up

I'm not sure what being going on in flat world..it all seems so distant now

Flat Earthers < Round Earthers < VR Gamers

Thought the story of Bioshock Infinite was awful. Sure it all kind of tied up at the end but convolution doesn't equate to good storytelling.

Didn't help the gameplay bored the arse off me.

Bioshock Fur coat no knickers more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Nier Automata was a load of bollocks.

Sorry to be 'that guy', but it's one of the most overrated games I've played in recent memory. My theory is the fan service clouded everyones judgement.

Nier Automata hugely flawed just like the original. The storytelling works better than the actual game just like the original. I thought with Platinum on board it would fix the issues of the first game. However it's still a 7/10 game like the first. But just like the first it's probably the best 7/10 game you will play. I can see why people wouldn't like it. It's low budget really stands out in many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    However it's still a 7/10 game like the first. But just like the first it's probably the best 7/10 game you will play.

So it's really a 7+/10 which is just like a 8/10 except it doesn't have the cool sideways infinity symbol of 8 attached to it… it loses out because of slightly elevated emissions.

It's more like the game has some serious flaws that cant be glossed over but I feel the experience is one that shouldn't be missed.

Think deadly premonition with 1200% less jank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be more of the school that Nier Automata (which amusingly and appropriately autocorrected to Nietzche) is a 3-4/10 game. The most tedious slog of a game I've been foolish enough to suffer through in the recent past. Has about 4-5 hours of ideas spread frustratingly thin over a 30 hour playtime. A few good, ambitious ideas are welcome, but I'm still surprised so many looked over how irritating and repetitive the damn thing is to play for huge chunks of the running time.

While I do reckon it's been a reasonably good half year for AAA games, other than Zelda (a no question masterpiece as far as I'm concerned) I actually struggle to think of any that I've been really impressed or pleasantly surprised by. Nioh was a likeable, confident Souls-like just lacking that extra layer of artistic polish; Persona 5 is really great with some definite improvements but just hasn't grabbed me the way its predecessor did; Horizon tries its darnedest, but it's a frustrating game to play after BotW changed the game. Very few indie games of note - the odd Edith Finch or Nex Machina aside.

2016 was the year that got me excited about games again. The Last Guardian, The Witness and Inside were instant all-time favourites; games like Kentucky Route Zero, Quadrilateral Cowboy Stephen's Sausage Roll were glorious; and then you had stuff like Titanfall 2 and Overwatch... There was just something about last year's selection that completely appealed to my own tastes, and beyond Nintendo being well on course for their first vintage year in like a decade, there'd wanna be quite a few more masterpieces in the latter half of 2017 before I polish off any other hyperbole ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement