Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email issues

Options
  • 03-07-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a rather odd issue with my email. Even my boyfriend who works in IT agrees and seems stumped by this. My email is a work email address with our own domain name it works on our desktop and laptop no worries but if we try put it on our phones or tablets it starts causing all kinds of problems. One of the servers may stop working , it might cause issues with access to emails from the laptop or desktop or might work for a week and then suddenly stop. After a discussion with my boyfriend we have agreed that while it is a POP3 account it doesn't always act like one at times it seems like a IMAP account but is definitely a POP3 . Any help is greatly appreciated this matter needs to be resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

With many providers there is no difference between a POP3 account and an IMAP account on the server side, it is down to how you configure your email client to access it.

Connecting from mobile devices can sometimes be more challenging as you are usually connecting from dynamic IP addresses so a given IP could have reputation issues from misuse by previous users. On some mobile networks the connections are internally NAT'ed so all users appear to the email provider as coming from the same source and so can hit usage limits etc.

It is a bit odd that connecting from your tablet/phone is interfering with your laptop picking up (have I got that right?).

Some older systems do only allow one POP3 login at a time, or there could be an issue where one device is downloading a message via POP3 and removing it before the other gets a chance to download that same message.

Maybe PM me with your domain name so I can identify your email provider and maybe have a better guess, also what networks your PCs and mobile devices are using.

Advertisement