Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staff numbers in dept of agriculture

Options
  • 03-07-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hello all , i am new to boards and have a question that i hope somebody on here knows the answer to , how many people "work" for the department of agriculture in total ?.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Someone in the farming forum is more likely to know:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hello all , i am new to boards and have a question that i hope somebody on here knows the answer to , how many people "work" for the department of agriculture in total ?.

In 2013, there were just under 35,000 civil servants in total- of whom just under 8.4% (or roughly 2,860) worked in the Department of Agriculture. Since 2013, the numbers working in the Department of Agriculture have fallen by over 340- to roughly 2,510 (largely through natural attrition- that is retirements that have not been replaced).

Absolute numbers are published quarterly in the DPER databank here: http://databank.per.gov.ie/Public_Service_Numbers.aspx?rep=CS

Note- Agriculture figures includes those employed in non-commercial state bodies under the auspices of the Department.

Current trends continue downwards- i.e. the trend upwards evidenced in other government Departments- has not happened in Agriculture (yet anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seekeroftruth

Thanks conductor , but it seems to be very difficult to get a straight answer as to how many people are on the payroll of the dept of agriculture and it's still not clear, but thanks for trying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks conductor , but it seems to be very difficult to get a straight answer as to how many people are on the payroll of the dept of agriculture and it's still not clear, but thanks for trying.

If you were to ask Personnel in the Department- they'd ask you whether you mean the actual number- or the whole time equivalents (i.e. how many work there- or how many do- when you take into account those who don't do a 5 day week). If you look at absolute numbers- you're definitely over 3000- but WTEs probably are down at about 2,500 (or even lower).

If you're genuinely interested- you could just pop a FOI request into them- they supply the numbers on a regular basis to both DPER and also internally to Management Advisory Committees- so the information does exist, and is easily retrievable- but you'd have to actually ask to get it, as I'm not sure its published in a publically retrievable format elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seekeroftruth

I will do that , thanks conductor , much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement