Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEC Teachers

Options
  • 03-07-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

In relation to teachers who work in the older VEC PLC schools/colleges, where they on the same salary scale as teachers in secondary schools. Also, teachers in PLC colleges that taught hairdressing, beauty therapy, nursing studies, childcare, mechanics etc, where they still on the same rate as a normal teacher (as in equal pay scale , qualification allowances) or where they on a different scale such as tutor/facilitator. Also where PLC teachers ever guaranteed full 22 hour contracts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I teach in an ETB school which also has a FE college. Lots of teachers teach across both sectors, lots teach only FE. My colleagues who teach hairdressing, beauty, nursing, animal grooming, childcare, business are paid on the same scale as teachers. Obviously they only receive allowances if they have the relevant qualifications. My colleagues teaching nursing, childcare and various business administration courses definitely receive the degree allowance, or in some case masters allowance. None of them have a teaching qualification so they don't receive that. Two of these colleagues teach part time here and part time in dedicated ETB FE colleges (no second level provision) and they are paid the same there.

Nobody, including second level teachers, is just guaranteed a 22 hour contract. But many of my FE colleagues have permanent 22 hour jobs. Several have part time CIDs, same as many of the second level teachers. They also get casual subbing in the second level school.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭27061986a

Thanks for the information. Just out of interest would somebody teaching only just say animal grooming or hairdressing still be able to make up a full 22 hour contract?

27061986a wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. Just out of interest would somebody teaching only just say animal grooming or hairdressing still be able to make up a full 22 hour contract?

That would depend on the size of the college and popularity of the course. In my college animal grooming would never make a full job but both hairdressing and beauty are. You could also perhaps make a full contract teaching across a couple of colleges within the same ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭27061986a

Thanks for that. One more thing what are education facilitators?

I've heard the term used in relation to the adult literacy organiser in the ETB I think, but I'm not familiar with it. There's no position with that title in my college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

There's a specific manager grade in further ed called community education facilitor. There's one in each etb /county as was. They look after adult community groups who want classes eg women's groups travellers etc. they'll organise tutors for and support maybe a mental,health support programme or committee skills for residents on a new estate . They have a specific salary scale etc . Of course in recent years lots of ETBs have been dreaming up their own job titles roles etc often using dodgy pay scales like youthreach resource worker. Talk to your own TUI branch .

Advertisement