Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Cork City to Union Hall or Skibb

Options
  • 03-07-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    thinking of cycling from Cork City to Union Hall and maybe onto Skibb

Only worry I would have is road quality. Googlemaps gives me three routes to choose from Blackrock in Cork.

Are there any roads I should definetly avoid that arent good for road bikes?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

The direct route, the N71 is fine, but busy during the day so you'd need to leave early for less traffic.
    Via Kinsale is fine, not as good a road but more scenic. Can be busy as well.
    Via the northern route. Probably the quieter roads but not as good surface wise and less scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

The direct route, the N71 is fine, but busy during the day so you'd need to leave early for less traffic.
    Via Kinsale is fine, not as good a road but more scenic. Can be busy as well.
    Via the northern route. Probably the quieter roads but not as good surface wise and less scenic.

Skip the main road between Bandon and Clon. There's no hard shoulder for a good part of it and cars travel pretty fast.

Northern route for me would be city, waterfall, crossbarry, Bandon, Enniskeane, Reenascreena, Leap, Skibb. Not as scenic as southern route but quieter.

Southern route
    City, waterfall, crossbarry, innishannon, dunderrow, Kinsale, garretstown, timoleague, clon, Ross, skibb.
    Stop at Kinsale or blue horizon bar for a break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Did this a few summers back. The route I took getting home is quieter and much more scenic.

https://www.strava.com/activities/173013933

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

great response, thanks all. accomodation for the night is proving difficult..but i am sure we can get something

Advertisement