Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualcast mower from Homebase

Options
  • 03-07-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

To cut a long story short, I bought a qualcast mower from Homebase about 2 months ago, the first cut it was fine, but ever since the Heap of junk struggles yo collect the grass, leaves a trail of grass on each newly cut row. Doesn't matter if it's bone dry, have raised the blade and still have to go over it twice and even at that it still doesn't collect all the grass. Have I any comeback with Homebase with this pile of crap or am I stuck with this yoke?

Comments

Moved to consumer issues, you'll get a better answer here.
    But as far as I know, goods sold must be "fit for purpose", in this case it's supposed to cut grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If it worked well the first time you used it, and has been useless since, I would wonder if something happened to it. Have you examined it to see if perhaps some screw or bolt has come loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

Dunno, it's just struggles to collect the grass, seem to get stuck under the mower as if the grass was wringing wet which it isn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

How often do you cut the grass ? This time of the year you would want to be cutting three times a week to be able to gather it up and not leave it on the turf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Dunno, it's just struggles to collect the grass, seem to get stuck under the mower as if the grass was wringing wet which it isn't .

Have you enough revs ??

Or for a technical and regretably no help consumer wise,afaik theres a special blade you need to get up enough wind to force grass out to the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Have you enough revs ??

Or for a technical and regretably no help consumer wise,afaik theres a special blade you need to get up enough wind to force grass out to the bag

Is it a powered mower or a manual ?

If basic consumer checks detect no fault then it may well be considered not fit for purpose. I would be particularly worried if it is a powered mower with a defect. Bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

whippet wrote: »
    How often do you cut the grass ? This time of the year you would want to be cutting three times a week to be able to gather it up and not leave it on the turf

I have a bosch electric lawnmower and I cut mine about every 10-14 days and it collects all the grass no bother.

3 times a week cutting grass, are you well? It's not a golf green I have!! About once once a week and it not that high at that. Had an oul McCullough before and it flew through it no bother before. I'll take a gander up to homebase and see what they say. It's a petrol mower btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

To cut a long story short, I bought a qualcast mower from Homebase about 2 months ago, the first cut it was fine, but ever since the Heap of junk struggles yo collect the grass, leaves a trail of grass on each newly cut row. Doesn't matter if it's bone dry, have raised the blade and still have to go over it twice and even at that it still doesn't collect all the grass. Have I any comeback with Homebase with this pile of crap or am I stuck with this yoke?

If you are going back to homebase, maybe its a good idea to curtail the language.

Walk in with a bad attitude and most normal people will do as little as possible to help you.

Walk in and be pleasant and people will go above what they are obliged to do.

You never know it may be some really simple that you are doing that is causing the issue. - Did you read the manual that came with it and check the troubleshootng page?

Possibly the blade is mis angled caused by hitting a stone, possibly there is an air gap somewhere stopping the vacuum action?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 times a week? What are you doing, preparing for tennis grass court season?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

3 times a week cutting grass, are you well? It's not a golf green I have!! About once once a week and it not that high at that. Had an oul McCullough before and it flew through it no bother before. I'll take a gander up to homebase and see what they say. It's a petrol mower btw.

I am an avid gardener and passionate about my lawn and once every 5 or 6 days, max, is all the cutting it needs.

OP, is the grass long and are you cutting it very tight?

If you're not happy take it in to them and see what they say.

whiterebel wrote: »
    3 times a week? What are you doing, preparing for tennis grass court season?:eek:

i like my lawn to be quite short, I used to mulch and needed to cut it at least twice a week if not 3 times a week to avoid leaving any grass behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

qualcast mowers have a 2 year quarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

i like my lawn to be quite short, I used to mulch and needed to cut it at least twice a week if not 3 times a week to avoid leaving any grass behind.

Eh, when you leave your mower on mulch it is supposed to leave the cuttings behind, albeit in very small pieces :confused::confused:

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Eh, when you leave your mower on mulch it is supposed to leave the cuttings behind, albeit in very small pieces :confused::confused:

As in clumps of grass .. when you mulch you shouldn't even see the grass that is being left behind

Went in to homebase earlier today, they said they'd take the mower back no problem and see what '' they could do'' they would prefer if I took a different model instead I think. Will return it and see what happens on thursday.

Advertisement