Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE reports the Rally For Life march had 70k people...no it didn't! Here's evidence!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭893bet

Yer mans method of counting is pretty scientific and accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Wow, it really was mostly attended by old farts and dried up old prunes, by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fatknacker wrote: »
    Wow, it really was mostly attended by old farts and dried up old prunes, by the looks of things.

They self identify as hags.

Everyone has the right to be referred to as their desired title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd say there was a similar amount to the Repeal march in September.

The ad for this in Alive! magazine said that buses were being organised from all over the country. Presumably free. In any case lots of them have the bus pass

No free buses laid on at any pro-choice march I've been on, and most of those attending would be well below bus pass age.

So I'd say only having as many attending on Sunday as the pro-choice march is actually a poor outcome for them.

The anti-choicers have been caught out badly before with heavily inflated figures, when it was proven that Merrion Square was not big enough to hold the numbers claimed. Any talk of 'tens of thousands' can be dismissed as complete nonsense.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,679 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The ad for this in Alive! magazine said that buses were being organised from all over the country. Presumably free. In any case lots of them have the bus pass

No free buses laid on at any pro-choice march I've been on, and most of those attending would be well below bus pass age.

The buses to the best of my knowledge were private buses which were hired. A bus pass wouldn't have been any use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

No free buses laid on at any pro-choice march I've been on, and most of those attending would be well bel1ow bus pass age.

So I'd say only having as many attending on Sunday as the pro-choice march is actually a poor outcome for them.

Do you actually think that free buses makes much of a difference, I get how organized buses do but the pro-choice groups do the same thing.

I personally don't think the marches (on either side) will give a realistic idea of the majorities opinion, as I said on the other thread a good few of the people I know most heavily involved in the pro-choice scene won't have a vote in the referendum, to some extent the campaigning and meetings are used as a rather fun social club.
    I'm sure the same happens on the pro-life side but trending to an older more church based demographic (the few younger people I know who hold pro-life views keep it completely off social media and demonstrations)

OU812 wrote: »
    My opinion on this referendum is that people outside of viable pregnancy age should be excluded from being allowed a vote. They've had their children or at least had their chance to. Them voting in this could unduly influence something that will have absolutely no bearing on their lives.
    I have my kids, I'm male & I've had a vasectomy. This couldn't affect me in any way possible. However, I want my kids to have the right to control their own destiny & not be influenced by a load of silver-haired bible bashers.

Mother.

Of.

God.

Where to start...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

There's a massive amount of people outside of viable pregnancy years in that video. Having skimmed through it I'd say 50& of people in it were elderly.

My opinion on this referendum is that people outside of viable pregnancy age should be excluded from being allowed a vote. They've had their children or at least had their chance to. Them voting in this could unduly influence something that will have absolutely no bearing on their lives.

This is not how referenda work though.

Also, I presume you won't be voting then as a male, since it's not your reproduction system on the line and you already have kids, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Don't know about you, but my reproductive system is nothing to do with my parents

Neither is your sexual orientation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

There was quite a cohort of straight people voting against it that claimed it affected them. Devaluing their marriages etc etc

That's been my point. I went on this ramble when the poster said that only women of childbearing age should be allowed vote in the 8th referendum as it doesn't have an effect on anyone else. Which I think is a ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement

The buses to the best of my knowledge were private buses which were hired. A bus pass wouldn't have been any use.

So were the passengers paying, or someone else?

Who paid for all those professionally printed placards?

The whole question of how the anti-choice campaign is funded has never been answered.

For a pro-choice march, it's turn up at your own expense and hold up your homemade bit of cardboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's an unfortunate truth but the majority of those people will be dead in the next 30 years and as they're past childbearing years, they could unduly influence a referendum which will never affect them In any way shape or form

So what's the cut-off age for people to vote in any election that effects other, younger people?

People ten years older than me could have an adverse impact on the last ten years of my life with their different ideas and opinions. Let's set that as the cut off....my age +10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

People ten years older than me could have an adverse impact on the last ten years of my life with their different ideas and opinions. ........

Abortion is a special case though ?

If say 5 women i know went off and had an abortion next month - it would have no adverse impact on you or any of those marching in that video

gctest50 wrote: »

If say 5 women i know went off and had an abortion next month - it would have no adverse impact on you or any of those marching in that video

So who gets to vote then in this new brand of 'democracy'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

It's an unfortunate truth but the majority of those people will be dead in the next 30 years and as they're past childbearing years, they could unduly influence a referendum which will never affect them In any way shape or form.

No, because they're of childbearing age with the potential to have children.

Not the same thing at all. Gay people having the right to marriage is a matter of treating people equally.

Ok so let me get this straight, you can vote for gay marriage because it's a vote for equality but older people are not allowed to vote to keep the 8th (ironically one of the arguments for the pro-life movement is that every life is equal) on the basis they are no longer able to procreate even though as you've had a vasectomy and are no longer able to procreate?

So who gets to vote then in this new brand of 'democracy'?

It shouldn't even have to go to a vote - it's a medical thing between a woman and her doctor

Unless you think they can't be trusted not to be rushing to form a queue for 11th hour abortions

What next - a vote on whether women getting tubal ligation should be legal cos you know potential life n every egg is sacred or something

It shouldn't even have to go to a vote - it's a medical thing between a woman and her doctor

Unless you think they can't be trusted not to be rushing to form a queue for 11th hour abortions

To get to that point, there has to be a vote though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The whole question of how the anti-choice campaign is funded has never been answered.

I have donated money and will donate in the future. I also intend on donating to the Iona Institute.

If you suspect something illegal is happening in the financing of the Pro-Life movements, it is your civic duty to report it to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I’m strongly pro-choice and always have been, but I’m disturbed by the suggestion that some Irish citizens shouldn’t be allowed to vote in a national referendum. Any referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,679 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So were the passengers paying, or someone else?

For a pro-choice march, it's turn up at your own expense and hold up your homemade bit of cardboard.

Making an educated guess. Well I suppose the Rally For Life shop has a few things on their website. You probably can make donations to IONA an Youth Defense as well. Local pariah also probably paid for stuff. Buses were free to the best of my knowledge. They seemed to be organised by local parishes or even charitable donations might have being made of signs/buses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted, but I'd say there's about seventeen million of them out there.

:pac: :pac: excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭valor rorghulis

What next - a vote on whether women getting tubal ligation should be legal cos you know potential life n every egg is sacred or something

its in the constitution so no one can make it legal without a public referendum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What a retarded view.
    If you exclude the potential votes of pro choice males (of which there are loads) then there's a possibility that the amendment will be retained.

I have donated money and will donate in the future. I also intend on donating to the Iona Institute.

If you suspect something illegal is happening in the financing of the Pro-Life movements, it is your civic duty to report it to the Gardai.

Donating to make womens healthcare less safe

If a woman goes to the UK and dies on the way home travelling, her blood is on your hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Academic wrote: »
    I’m strongly pro-choice and always have been, but I’m disturbed by the suggestion that some Irish citizens shouldn’t be allowed to vote in a national referendum. Any referendum.

This, everyone has a say regardless. If you only allow voting to certain people then it's not exactly democracy is it?

This is a heated topic at the minute and I welcome that. I think Ireland as a country has been politically stagnant for too long and relying heavily on 2 or 3 political parties who are all effectively the same.

This debate offers a point of dialogue, a means for people with differing opinions to discuss that openly, like adults. I'm afraid of it going the other way and become a "them and us" scenario where people aren't open to debate and feel like they are being attacked for their views as opposed to having an open mind and seeing it from the point of view of others.

If, as a nation, we can discuss this in a meaningful way and not allow it to divide us then it may well be something that could shape our future.

Slightly over 50% of TD's recently did not respond to being asked if they wanted to repeal the 8th. This highlights to me, how impotent and self serving our politicians can be. This is possibly the main topic of social discourse at the minute and many of our elected representatives are unwilling to engage.

I personally would vote to repeal, however, I respect those TD's who openly said they would vote the opposite way.

http://www.thejournal.ie/8th-amendment-td-survey-2772559-Jun2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just as a matter of interest, do you tell any gay people you know that they are wrong and you donated to try stop them getting equal rights ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nagnata

There's a massive amount of people outside of viable pregnancy years in that video. Having skimmed through it I'd say 50& of people in it were elderly.

It could be argued that they have every right to vote as it will be their tax money that will be used to pay for abortions for those on medical cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nagnata wrote: »
    It could be argued that they have every right to vote as it will be their tax money that will be used to pay for abortions for those on medical cards.

If that is their basis for opposing the repeal of the 8th then they haven't really thought it through. the costs of an abortion are massively outweighed by costs to the state of another child in the world.

There are many things which are not allowed that would not directly impact on most people but we don't want them happening in our society. Abortion on demand is one of these things. It's already allowed in very limited circumstances which most people are ok with.

• Advertisement

Local pariah also probably paid for stuff.

Freudian slip there.

In seriousness I doubt they have the funding to support anything other than the usual parish activities these days, and possibly not even that.

OAPs throwing a few quid into a bucket won't cover it either.

Iona still have not registered with SIPO afaik, as lobbying organisations are required to do (except churches themselves :rolleyes:)

It all stinks tbh and it should be remembered that American money had a big role in foisting this vile amendment on us in the first place.

Advertisement