Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Rent Raised

Options
  • 03-07-2017 8:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, my landlord rang me there after finding out that others in our area are paying a higher rent than he is getting from us. We are eligible for 800 and hes getting 500. Can he raise the rent and if so will it affect us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

OP, although you are eligible for 800 under HAP this is calculated based on you and your partner. If however you have signed a contract with your 'LL for a set amount this is what was agreed with your local co co at the time and is set for 2 years from the initial signing so he cannot raise the rent unless prior approval ie new lease contract ECT which he/you will have to submit to the co co. I would presume he is looking to raise the rent to be in level with the local prices but cannot raise it from 500 to 800 for example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In addition- if its in a rent-controlled-zone- he can't raise it over the 4% per annum- regardless of what the going rate in the area is.

The landlord is well and truly caught up in an improbably low rental rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

justinmg1 wrote: »
    OP, although you are eligible for 800 under HAP this is calculated based on you and your partner. If however you have signed a contract with your 'LL for a set amount this is what was agreed with your local co co at the time and is set for 2 years from the initial signing so he cannot raise the rent unless prior approval ie new lease contract ECT which he/you will have to submit to the co co. I would presume he is looking to raise the rent to be in level with the local prices but cannot raise it from 500 to 800 for example

Its similar to level off other houses in the area, more he wants to raise it as were eligible to pay more. Would our lease last till March next year when our two year term is finished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

In addition- if its in a rent-controlled-zone- he can't raise it over the 4% per annum- regardless of what the going rate in the area is.

The landlord is well and truly caught up in an improbably low rental rate.

After ringing HAP I was informed every two years he can raise it and it wont affect me as our rent is judged on income, thanks for replies

Advertisement