Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournament discussion 2017/18.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Tough clearance of the colours for the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Played that black a bit too pacy maybe. And it hung on the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can allow something for pressure but it’s not an unlimited supply. It’s like he wants the title too be gifted to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Can't see Robertson letting Cao in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Poor git. Cruel game.

Have some sympathy on a human level for him. But I haven’t seen a player get so many chances to win a title in years. It’s meant to be a tough sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

To add to Kyren Wilsons rest shot in post #12, here's another "I've never seen this before' shot courtesy of Cao Yupeng in the final against Robertson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtH-SChfGw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Just checking the tour schedule, after winning the Scottish Open on December 17th, Neil Robertson isn't playing again in a tournament until the World Grand Prix near the end of February. Over two months of a break. He didn't qualify for The Masters or German Masters, and doesn't play in the Shoot-Out.

German Masters has been enjoyable this week, Eurosport have really upped their game and have a very professional host broadcaster setup now (compared to when it used be two guys in a box-room in Slough doing the commentary from a local feed).

Graham Dott and Mark Williams in the final today, not sure whether that's to be celebrated as a sign that its a sport that people can compete into their 40s at or an indictment of the lack of young talent.

Williams rolling back the years playing some great stuff.

Judd is the only half decent player under 30 and he's a basket case.

Graham Dott and Mark Williams in the final today, not sure whether that's to be celebrated as a sign that its a sport that people can compete into their 40s at or an indictment of the lack of young talent.

Very much the latter imo. Despite what Hearn might tell you the sport is not in the best of shape at the moment.

Just did a quick calculation there of the average age of the top 16 players:

1998: 28.7
    2008: 31.1
    2018: 34.4

Davis kind of skews 2008 a bit being 50 at the time!

Ronnie was probably spot-on last night talking about the guys who show up as pros now that look like they've never held a cue before, and have no match toughness because there's no amateur tour.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Just did a quick calculation there of the average age of the top 16 players:

1998: 28.7
    2008: 31.1
    2018: 34.4

Davis kind of skews 2008 a bit being 50 at the time!

Ronnie was probably spot-on last night talking about the guys who show up as pros now that look like they've never held a cue before, and have no match toughness because there's no amateur tour.

Would agree vehemently with Ron there. Watching the younger players now it’s painful to see the lack of table craft in their game. And they’re not battle hardened the way they used to be. It’s all attack, attack, pot everything in sight until the real pressure starts to squeeze and they are as liable to fold as not.

2018 Snooker Shootout starts tomorrow lunchtime, continues through until Sunday all live on ITV4.
    As usual a lot of the top names giving it a miss, but Mark Williams, Shaun Murphy and Mark Allen are there from the Top 10 in the rankings.
    Full first round draw and details.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Snooker_Shoot-Out

Must admit I love this competition and will definitely dip in and out of the coverage over the weekend.

Turned it on tonight. I think I hate everything about it. For shame AJ.

What are the audience on at times. They keep blaring out drunken jeers every three shots of so. Then off to the flesh spots and curry houses of Watford no doubt.

It's a bit of fun, but a bit low rent innit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The crowd being arseholes really ruin it. Good to see Josh Boileau win today, is that his 1st televised game?

It was just about watchable yesterday as all the idiots shouting “yellowwww” hadn’t made it in yet.

Don’t really mind it myself as an event, it’s harmless really. Feel sorry for Clive Everton, though, to see the great man reduced to bigging this stuff up is a bit sad.

Turned it on tonight. I think I hate everything about it. For shame AJ.

*Sits behind yellow pocket and does Mexican wave when zuutroy pots it there* :)

It's a bit of a laugh, some cracking finishes tonight with game changing pots in the last 20 seconds.
    Some terrible shot selection and time management as well, players seem to forget the object of it under pressure.

A bit of a payday 32 grand for the likes of Georgiou if he wins this here against Dott

Exciting finish to shootout

I have to admit I did enjoy the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I have to admit I did enjoy the final!

Really don't like this format, and the crowd in particular, but yes the final was exciting!! :D

EDIT: I've just realised I used the word exciting in relation to a game Graham Dott was involved in :P

After all the fun of the ShootOut it's back to a normal event with the Grand Prix from the Guild Hall in Preston, one of the traditional snooker venues.
    Starts on Monday evening with live coverage throughout the week on ITV4 until Sundays final. £100K to the winner.

Limited to Top 32 in the one year rankings, surprisingly enough last years winner Barry Hawkins didn't make the cut.

Draw here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Grand_Prix

Stuart Bingham on his comeback from suspension against Mark Williams looks the standout tie.

Not seen anyone play as bad as Milkins is now for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Not seen anyone play as bad as Milkins is now for a long time.
    Until Brecel just now. Delighted for Georgiou.

Advertisement