Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournament discussion 2017/18.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Have to say, I really enjoy the ITV4 coverage of the Snooker.. They got big ratings for Saturday nights semi final, would love to see them take the World Championships off the BBC, now that ITV have ITV4 they could easily give the Worlds the wall to wall coverage it needs with air time.. The BBC have become very stale and I feel they need a clear out of presenters and pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yea they're very good. Neal Foulds is excellent. I like Yates...real snooker nerd. Not sure why the Taylor hate. He may not be technically excellent but he has a good voice for it, and good enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Only killer about watching on IVT4 is the same ads time & time again after every frame. It's such a relief watching on BBC knowing you're getting uninterrupted coverage. That said, the ITV punditry is quite good, Joe Perry stood out to me as particularly good to listen to when commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Iirc, Spencer made the 1st ever tournament 147,but unfortunately the camera man was on dinner break + it was never televised

Edit;it wasn't an official tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Have to say, I really enjoy the ITV4 coverage of the Snooker.. They got big ratings for Saturday nights semi final, would love to see them take the World Championships off the BBC, now that ITV have ITV4 they could easily give the Worlds the wall to wall coverage it needs with air time.. The BBC have become very stale and I feel they need a clear out of presenters and pundits.

BBC's coverage of snooker is atrocious. Red button me hoop. Think they have a contract in place to cover the Worlds for the next few years.

My major problem with Denis Taylor are the stupid "jokes" when players are down on a shot. Playing to the mouth-breathers in the audience.

Much rather the likes of Hendry and McManus who actually know what they're talking about and can read what shot a player is about to play. They also give an insight into the difficultly of shots being played as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Taylor.....hate a strong word for me, I don’t hate the man in any way. Strikes me as a nice guy in many ways and always admired his determination as a player and saying that as a staunch Higgins man.

And yet....Taylor the commentator just grates and gets on the nerves. Nothing controversial or challenging to say, the constant regurgitating of “tension in the cue arm” and a host of other useless cliches. The bizarre fixation with Vicky Selby, Patsy Fagan among others just trying to watch the snooker quietly. And that’s all before I get to the irritating heavy breathing, a total dealbreaker on its own if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That was really great nostalgia Arthur. I suppose the thing about the old guys is there seemed to be more personality in the game back then, probably way too much in Alex Higgins’ case!.
    At one point on his 72 break, Jimmy rifled in a red along the bottom cushion to get on the black. There was hardly any reaction from crowd or Pulman/Rex Williams commentating. I thought Jesus if Ronnie or Trump played that today it would be seen as a suicidal pace for the shot.

Hendry, Foulds, McManus had a right laugh at it in the studio, mumbling about buckets for pockets. But then Hendry and Foulds really broke through that season, and McManus came along shortly afterwards so I think they kinda thought to themselves, what are we saying here...

Inviere wrote: »
    Only killer about watching on IVT4 is the same ads time & time again after every frame. It's such a relief watching on BBC knowing you're getting uninterrupted coverage. That said, the ITV punditry is quite good, Joe Perry stood out to me as particularly good to listen to when commentating.

Joe is good, but I find he talks too much. A routine break doesn't need chatter over every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

zuutroy wrote: »
    Joe is good, but I find he talks too much. A routine break doesn't need chatter over every shot.

Might be just inexperience, is he commentating long?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Off to Beijing tomorrow for the second last event of the season, The China Open. Also the second most valuable pot of the season, with £225K to winner. Albeit just £90K for second place, another in a long list of lopsided prize structures since Barry took over.

Coverage on Eurosport during our mornings and afternoons. Everyone who matters is scheduled to compete, except Judd who lost his L128 qualifier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_China_Open_(snooker)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

I notice some daily live coverage also on FTA channel Quest

https://www.questtv.co.uk/tv-listings

Watching Selby this morning and he still really looks off the boil to me. If his opponent wasn’t so seemingly keen to leave balls over pockets he’d be nearing the finish line probably. No doubt Selby will likely make a monkey of me again and proceed to the title here and in Sheffield but I can’t fancy him on this display. Just don’t see him doing it again.

Love the new technology for cue ball replacement, cant go wrong with it and no arguments or even much need to consult the players (if only out of tradition and politeness).

Ronnie & Smurph non jiggers today by the looks of things.

Ronnie & Smurph non jiggers today by the looks of things.

147 Ronnie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

he dont wanna be there in china ronnie

147 Ronnie :pac:

Ha...well he had to pay for the airfare didn’t he ;)

back to eurosport commentary with ya, why u even bothered to take part is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

back to eurosport commentary with ya, why u even bothered to take part is beyond me

Nice 147, relaxing bit of commentary, fortnight off before the worlds. Sorted!

The Nal wrote: »
    Nice 147, relaxing bit of commentary, fortnight off before the worlds. Sorted!

doubt he'll get far in the worlds either, he only likes the shorter matches. But who knows with Ronnie, it totally depends on how he is on the day.

• Advertisement

doubt he'll get far in the worlds either, he only likes the shorter matches. But who knows with Ronnie, it totally depends on how he is on the day.

Well he has been in 6 finals and won 5! With the season hes had he must be up for it surely?

Quote me above when he loses 10-1 in the first round to Jamie Cope or someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

The way things stand, and this is total guesswork on my part, Ronnie is guaranteed his 2 seeding so wasnt any extra incentive for him to progress this week. So he'll face a qualifier and No.15 for a q/f spot and right now I'd predict that 15 is going to be Ali Carter who you'd think would be a good opponent for him, especially given the pretty torrid year he's had. Big morning too for Mark Allen who should be ok for his top 16 spot, but would like a win against Yan Bingtao to nail it. Interesting match up that.

I can't see anyone other than the few players he respects knocking him out this year. If it isn't Selby, Higgins, Trump, or maybe Mark Williams it'll be no one imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He has some Chinese financial interests - sponsorships etc - I believe so it probably suits him to go, gets knocked out early and chill out. The 147 was a nice little bonus.

I see Bingham got a 147 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I don't get why the 147 money gets split between them. I understood the amount rolls over but I thought the first person to make a 147 won the whole pot?

I don't get why the 147 money gets split between them. I understood the amount rolls over but I thought the first person to make a 147 won the whole pot?

It was catered for in the original press release.

https://maximumsnooker.com/rolling_147_prize_introduced.htm
    Should more than one player achieve a 147 during a single event, the prize will be shared equally between the players.

Seems reasonable enough to as you wouldn't want players to lose out because they happened to be in the later starting section of the draw. And doing it on an 'earliest round' basis would be awkward as some tournaments can have players two rounds ahead of others.

Though would obviously be brilliant if you had Ebdon on 80 on one table whilst Ronnie was on 32 on the table beside him, and £50K in the pot.

• Advertisement

A sentence i never imagined myself typing after about 2011 but Mark Williams must be a serious candidate for Sheffield way he's playing. Bar Ronnie doubt anyone has been more consistent or played better this year, as his top 5 ranking after China will attest. So few top rank contenders for the worlds anyway, he's got to be top of the secondary tier for me.

Advertisement