Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giles (RTE One)

• 03-07-2017 9:33pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Documentary on the legendary senior analyst, about to start on RTE One.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Some lovely archive clips in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I'm enjoying it so far. Particularly looking forward to hearing his views on Brian Clough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I have no interest in soccer but I'm enjoying John's story, he has a genuine warmth about him.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't imagine Guardiola doing that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

A legend...

Dear Arthur,

Please can RTE show more footage of Fred Dinenage on World of Sport on ITV in the 1970s when he was using an ancient computer to predict football results?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Iniesta would be proud of most of those passes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Whoever cast Colm Meaney as Don Revie was inspired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

"Have you got the ability to be a bit of a bast*rd if you have to be"

Why can't we have these sort of interviews anymore :)

To be fair to Clough, Norman Hunter's nickname was "bites yer legs", so he might have had a point about him being a dirty player.

There's a Documentary waiting to be made about those legendary ex footballers selling autographs for a few quid at the same convention as lads dressed as Ghostbusters.

RayM wrote: »
    To be fair to Clough, Norman Hunter's nickname was "bites yer legs", so he might have had a point about him being a dirty player.

Clough spoke his mind. Most of what he said should've been taken with a pinch of salt. Johnny still seems bitter over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Quiet sad seeing so many greats having to make a living in old age at what looks like Footballer Cons.

Giles gets though let them make as much as they can now because the clubs will screw them over.

Giles is a modest man in all fairness to him. This is one of the nicest documentaries I've watched on RTÉ in a while.

Giles was basically saying the same thing as Dunphy in Italia '90, but took no heat for it.

Every now and then, it hits me that Bill's dead.

That clip of him watching the panel at home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great job by RTE.

We need to send Johnny to the Eurovision :D

We need to send Johnny to the Eurovision :D

Giles or Logan? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What an effing legend. How Ireland could do with a player of his quality these days

That clip of him watching the panel at home :(

It was subtle and poignant, that image said it all, it wouldn't have added anything to have a voiceover of John complaining about how Ryle Nugent sacked him from the RTE Panel.

Excellent documentary. Very well made.

Great clips, they let the man talk and didn't burden the programme with needless contributions from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm depressed after watching it.....feels like Johnny is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was an absolute joy to watch. I'll definitely look at it again sometime. Well done RTE.

I was close to tears there at the end seeing Bill on the screen with Giles and Dunphy :(

Giles or Logan? ;)
    Maybe they could perform a duet ;)

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm depressed after watching it.....feels like Johnny is dead

Don't Cry for John, Argentina ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very well put together. "Loose horse" productions. Will be watching out for their future work. Gilesy came across as a gentleman and wow some of the archive clips really made me realise why he is so highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good show.
    But there was some unintentionally funny bits in it.

When he went to his old digs and tried to pretend it was his first time talking to the woman and said 'You don't know me I am John Giles'. When it was obvious it was pre-arranged.

When he was obviously told to half sing along to Amhrán na bhFiann by the production team at the end. It was clear he was struggling with the words.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hopefully this will be on RTE Player, disappointed to have missed it. John Giles is one of the greats of Irish sport. A proper football man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

When he was obviously told to half sing along to Amhrán na bhFiann by the production team at the end. It was clear he was struggling with the words.

Don't we all!

One thing I noticed was in the clip of an Ireland training session Johnny was wearing his Leeds tracksuit and most of the players seemed to have a hotch potch of gear. The FAI clearly hadn't a bob back then to buy training gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a very good documentary.

Also it was very surreal to see football legends like Giles, Law and Charlton walking around a building populated by people dressed up as comic book characters. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Excellent documentary.

He said he made it as he was getting frustrated at people referring to him as "the guy of RTE" and wanted people to see there was more to his life than being a TV panellist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The documentary is available on the RTE Player

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/giles-30004748/10746571/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very good documentary, they should follow that with similar for Dunphy and Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Watched it.
    Glad I did.
    Always liked him.

Strange ending though with him singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Clough spoke his mind. Most of what he said should've been taken with a pinch of salt. Johnny still seems bitter over it.

Bit harsh, Giles was critical of the portrayal of Clough in the Damned United movie, saying it was unfair to Cloughs family.

• Advertisement

Superb documentary! He has a bitterness toward Manchester United though! If he played well Busby wouldnt have frozen him out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

He was an absolute legend of the game, although i think he stayed far too long as an RTE football pundit and should have left many years before he did, his constant referral to many years to the past and outdated views of the game alienated many younger viewers, he looked like a dinosaur in relation to the younger pundits on RTE, BBC, ITV, SKY, etc, not taken away from his abilities as a footballer which are up there with the greats of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Excellent programme and John came across very good. Modern game needs more of his ilk I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Documentary on the legendary senior analyst, about to start on RTE One.

So he lived in 7 Ormond Square. I often walked around there and wondered which house he lived in. I wonder was he actually born there. Nice programme but I think we have seen all the playing clips before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

He has no idea how much he is loved. It's the humility, Phil Lynott, Luke Kelly, humble but exceptionally talented Dubliners apparently the same way. Good documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Loved it. Surprised that Brady didnt really contribute to it but I thought it was great. John Giles is an out and out legend and a gentleman to boot.

Advertisement