Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurants in Killarney?

Options
  • 03-07-2017 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Heading to Killarney next week. It's been a while since I've been there but I fondly remember having nice meals in the Old Presbytery Rest, The West End, Chapter 40, Gabys and Treyvauds among others.

A few of these appear to be closed now however and I'm not too sure if I'd go back to Treyvauds again after one unpleasant experience and frankly I find Marks attitude off-putting.

What are good restaurants to go to nowadays?

Any nice places for lunch?

Looking forward to trying out a few different places and would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

No 52 is a new restaurant opened about 6 weeks now. It's on High St (no 52 obviously) about 150 meters up from Treyvauds. It's only open for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Blues_Rock

Personally, I pretty much always go to the 'Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder' in 93 New Street. I can't say I've ever had a bad meal there as it's always been excellent, plus they do a great selection of drinks, not just whiskey, and the service is pretty friendly too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Blues_Rock wrote: »
    Personally, I pretty much always go to the 'Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder' in 93 New Street. I can't say I've ever had a bad meal there as it's always been excellent, plus they do a great selection of drinks, not just whiskey, and the service is pretty friendly too

The drinks selection (not just for whiskey) is great, but I'd disagree with your opinion on the food; I found it underwhelming the 2 times I ate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mark Treyvaud is a chef in the kitchen in the restaurant so you should have no problems with his attitude. Food in there is top class.

Lord Kenmares on College street is supposed to be pretty good although I've never eaten there.

The Malton restaurant is fantastic but a little pricy. It is a brilliant experience though.

It always amazes me that in a town like Killarney, famous for being a tourist destination, there has never been a Michelin starred restaurant. Kenmare had 2 in the 90s, even Bantry and Ahakista on the Sheep's Head in West Cork have had them. Now the only Michelin starred restaurant in Munster is in Waterford.

Chapter 40 was good a few years ago, bit the dust in the recession, can't say I know of any very fine dining places now. Well served by decent restaurants mind you, but not really top end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I agree with Conor. I live in Cork city and I find it hard to decide where to go out for food as there are so many nice restaurants. Killarney doesn't have many good restaurants at all. I rarely go out for food when I come home as there's never anywhere I really fancy going.

I would say it's not very easy to keep a restaurant business going in Killarney all year round as it's so seasonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The Beaufort Bar and Restaurant do gorgeous food best meal I've had in Killarney, and the pint is top notch.

Advertisement