Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 license question

Options
  • 03-07-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm interested in applying for a license and buying a rifle. I've read the Ruger 10/22 is one of the best on the market. Is it possible for me to buy one if I have been granted a standard license and are not a member of a shooting club?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A Ruger 10/22 would require an unrestricted license.

You don't need to be a member of a range to apply for one, but you will need membership to a gun club or have your own private land permissions. By your own i mean lands that are not tied to a gun club.

For clarification sake a gun club and range are two separate entities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

With regard "best in the market". The Ruger is a semi auto rifle and very popular here for the type of firearm it is.

However it is not as accurate as other, bolt action, rifles and in the same price cateogry the CZ has it beaten. Of course depending on your budget there are better options than the CZ such as Anschutz. However, and this is coming from someone that has owned both at the same time, i'd have hated to lived on the difference between the two. My CZ with the right ammo would give the Anschutz a run for it's money most days.

The Anschutz are a fantastic rifle though. The accuracy is a given, but the finish of the rifle is simply superior.

Are you set on a semi auto?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Ruger 10/22 is indeed one of the best rifles on the market..
    Per volume sold and reliability its the AK of the .22 world.

However is it the most accurate out of the box ... As Cass said there are much better.However,Ruger 10/22s are "Barbie rifles" [You can dress them up for any occasion or scenario].There is a huge aftermarket accessory industry for this gun so you can virtually personalise it to your specs no trouble.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    The Ruger 10/22 is indeed one of the best rifles on the market.. Per volume sold and reliability its the AK of the .22 world.

Great quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Id start with a cz452 in .22lr. Cheap second hand and very acurate. Iv just traded up to a 10/22 because i want to barbie it up as the lads said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Famoso wrote: »
    I'm interested in applying for a license and buying a rifle. I've read the Ruger 10/22 is one of the best on the market. Is it possible for me to buy one if I have been granted a standard license and are not a member of a shooting club?

With respect the point your missing here is that you will have to buy the rifle BEFORE you apply for your license. Your license is unique to your firearm so it's not a case of get a license and then buy what gun you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Per volume sold and reliability its the AK of the .22 world.

I wouldn't use that line when applying for the gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A figure of speech and a comparison isnt a good reason anyway.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Id start with a cz452 in .22lr. Cheap second hand and very acurate. Iv just traded up to a 10/22 because i want to barbie it up as the lads said

I did the exact same,
    The Ruger is great and after a few upgrades is now moe accurate than the cz.

Advertisement