Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Controller for Laptop

Options
  • 04-07-2017 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend,
    Can you get a controller to play downloaded Tomb Raider level edited (trle)
    games on the Laptop,(windows 10) hes finding it difficult using the keyboard.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Any Microsoft Xbox Controller will work very well with a Windows laptop. IIRC, the Playstation one might need drivers/software. If the friend already owns a certain console, it might be best getting the same controller for the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-pc-game-controller-guide

Xbox 360 pad IMHO

GameStop is also selling the Steam Controller for €38.50, might be worth a shot (it's a bit weird though)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ninjaholic

Been using this (Xbox 360 Wired Controller) for a long time now and it's native with both Windows Live, Steam and many Origin titles out of the box.

It's reliable, comfortable and has worked for me with new and old titles alike. A must-have in my book.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Joshua J wrote: »

Another +1 for this, I have 2 of them and they're spot on. Smaller sized than normal XBone or 360 controllers too which might make it preferable for someone with a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

ninjaholic wrote: »
    Been using this (Xbox 360 Wired Controller) for a long time now and it's native with both Windows Live, Steam and many Origin titles out of the box.

It's reliable, comfortable and has worked for me with new and old titles alike. A must-have in my book.

Another vote for the X360 controller from me, even though I am a Playstation owner and could use the PS3/4 controllers on the PC, I use the X360 version as it works seamlessly.

Wouldn't mind a wireless version, though - the wire isn't 2017 and gets in the way sometimes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Polar101 wrote: »
    Another vote for the X360 controller from me, even though I am a Playstation owner and could use the PS3/4 controllers on the PC, I use the X360 version as it works seamlessly.

Wouldn't mind a wireless version, though - the wire isn't 2017 and gets in the way sometimes.

The newer xbox (xbox one S) controllers are bluetooth enabled so will work with more devices without the need for the dongle, I got one from amazon for £39.99 for the Steam link and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭katy39

Hello everyone, me again, we got a Rock Candy Xbox 360 Controller (Officially Licensed for Xbox 360) for use with Tombraider trle downloaded games on laptop with Windows 10 but they only part of it working is the joystick part, does it have to be configured in some way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guys this is a 3rd party mod of ancient titles. Suggesting a 360 pad works well with windows isnt really helpful for this specific case.

There's a good chance pad support will be low to non-existent with a package like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

ED E wrote: »
    Guys this is a 3rd party mod of ancient titles. Suggesting a 360 pad works well with windows isnt really helpful for this specific case.

There's a good chance pad support will be low to non-existent with a package like that.

Don't know the specifics of this game, but Steam controller might work? (Mentioned by K.O.Kiki)

There's also the option of software to convert controller input to keyboard and mouse. I've played a few FPS games like this, probably wouldn't bother now though. I've a few FPS on steam/origin that I don't play because they don't have native controller support.

EDIT: Just noticed OPs reply. I think I used something like Joy2Key (might have been xpadder either). You can map keyboard buttons to buttons on the controller.
    If it's just for one game, it's fine. I just don't like having to remap them for every game that doesn't have controller support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭katy39

EDIT: Just noticed OPs reply. I think I used something like Joy2Key (might have been xpadder either). You can map keyboard buttons to buttons on the controller.
    If it's just for one game, it's fine. I just don't like having to remap them for every game that doesn't have controller support.[/QUOTE]

Yes thats wot we done with xpadder,
    thanks for ur help

Advertisement