Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy-to-let property - first time buyer

Options
  • 04-07-2017 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Looking to get some info on the above please

1. Can someone who does not currently own their own home (and is currently renting) get a buy-to-let mortgage? (assuming the have the required income and deposit)

2. If yes to question 1 - if you get a buy-to-let mortgage would this rule you out of being considered a first time buyer when buying a home considered as your principal dwelling? Probably a silly question but would like to confirm

3. If no to question 1 - Could you get mortgage on the buy-to-let property as a first time buyer, despite it not being your principal dwelling? Or how would it work?

Another question for info - What is the definition of principal dwelling and how is this assessed/monitored?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

1. - with the required income and deposit - yes. You will need to satisfy lender you are a safe risk - so a number of years in employment might also be required.

2. - yes, you would not be a first time buyer for next purchase.

3. - is this a repeat of question 1? If you get an ordinary mortgage it would be a breach of your terms and conditions to move out. Mortgages on PPR are generally at a lower interest rate than a buy to let, because it is regarded as a lower risk that you will default on your home than on an investment.

Your principal residence is where you ordinarily reside. I don't imagine this is actively monitored - though i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Hayden Pennyfeather

Fian wrote: »

3. - is this a repeat of question 1? If you get an ordinary mortgage it would be a breach of your terms and conditions to move out. Mortgages on PPR are generally at a lower interest rate than a buy to let, because it is regarded as a lower risk that you will default on your home than on an investment.

Thanks.

On the above, not not necessarily the same Q. Q1 was whether i could get a buy-to-let mortgage given my circumstances i.e. i don't own my own home and am renting. Q3 was a follow up to Q1, I wanted to know what my options would be if I could not get a buy-to-let mortgage - could i get a regular mortgage despite the fact it would not be my principal dwelling. I think you have answered both, thanks.

Advertisement