Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 4: Mondorf-les-Bains-Vittel 207 km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did Cav finish the stage? Just looks like hand damage on his Insta Story just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

U7ECaGG.jpg
    lVfY5Ti.png
    pX1EkGk.png
    xtIxUjA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

All good, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Still images like that are useless. Watching it in slo mo is better, albeit still not perfect.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Still images like that are useless. Watching it in slo mo is better, albeit still not perfect.

It does a decent enough job showing how Sagan leapt for Demare's wheel without looking and then elbowed Cav into the barriers, but the video makes it very clear.

Anyways -80 pts and a 35 sec penalty and relegated from today's stage.

• Advertisement

Can see Roche and Martin came in on same time. Good news once they were not injured during last couple of kms

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Last km. Video is from official TdF YouTube account so won't be blocked due to copyright etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I don't know much about racing, and even less about sprinting, but it looks like Cavendish has gotten a jump onto Demare's wheel. Sagan says no, that's my wheel and comes straight across Cav's line and bundles him into the barrier when Cav tries to hold the line.

Watch Cav in relation to Demare in the few seconds before the crash, Cav is following his wheel. Then look where Sagan enters the mix.

Sagan completely in the wrong for me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Lot of velo teams taking a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Looks like Sagan did get a hefty penalty

https://twitter.com/Laura_Meseguer/status/882279770892972033

• Advertisement

Apparently Sagan has been turfed out of the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wow, Cavendish actually finished the Stage! Tough mofo. Slammed into the barriers, whacked the ground and had Degankolb run over his head. Not many sportspeople are as tough as that.
    _96804034_cavendish_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Inquitus wrote: »
    Apparently Sagan has been turfed out of the tour.
    yeah, just heard the same.

what happens all the bets on Sagan to win the green jersey?

glasso wrote: »
    what happens all the bets on Sagan to win the green jersey?

They lose their money

Inquitus wrote: »
    They lose their money

ouch. must have been a fair few with hefty amounts on given the short odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Sagan was butting heads with Bouhanni some distance out. His elbow did come out but was it a reaction, the way you see footballers automatically put their hands up when a shot is fired towards their head?

ASO/commisaires will have a big decision to make now regarding Sagan. If at fault, do they send a message by sending him home or do they keep him in the race for commercial reasons.

Well, they've sent a message for sure now. No more butting or bumping will be tolerated. Decision makes sense after Mark Renshaw was throw out for nutting another rider in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Sagan at fault for me. He at least body checked Cav, with the use of some arm too, effectively fooking him into the barriers.

And wtf was Greipel at? With he's careering across into the bunch of them when the sprint was opening up. That set of a chain reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Is Cav ok??

Totally over the top to throw out Sagan. A real shame to lose the world champ and the most exciting rider in the peloton.

It dosnt even look absolutly deliberate.

• Advertisement

Cavandish's manager said that Sagan caused the earlier crash (bit over 1 km to go) also - is it fair to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Cant believe he is banned ...from the head on cam shot Cav pushes 1st then Sagan tried to re balance himself ...Cav was going down well before Elbow was pointing fully outwards as part of the re balance move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

To throw Sagan off the Tour is madness. Cavendish was already going down before the elbow...Sagan was clearly body checking ...and the problem was caused by Sagan shifting his line and left no room for Cav but everyone in that sprint moved from their line....

The whole thing is an over reaction...penalty and fine yes if needed but DQS is so wrong

Also Cav used his elbow on one of KIttels doms ( tom Veelers I think0 a few years ago at the Tour causing him to crash ...no DSQ then

And there have been many elbows used by sprinters since like forever ....just ask Sean Kelly .. if these rules were applied he may not have won so much green ...utter madness and unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Can Sagan appeal this decision or is it final? The tour will be over for me if Froome dominates and extends his lead in the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Complete DSQ is ott, I agree. But I can't agree with this 'Cav was already going down' $hite. Why does anyone think he was going down for God's sake?? He was given a hefty bump by Sagan is why. Sagan drifts well across and shoulders him, the elbow is incidental but it makes it look a lot worse actually.

Itziger wrote: »
    Complete DSQ is ott, I agree. But I can't agree with this 'Cav was already going down' $hite. Why does anyone think he was going down for God's sake?? He was given a hefty bump by Sagan is why. Sagan drifts well across and shoulders him, the elbow is incidental but it makes it look a lot worse actually.

Look again at it
    Sagan hit Cav with his lower body but its was not intentional and was unseen..as I said it was about their line ..so yes Cav was going down already

No DSQ for violence in my book ...no DSQ at all

Somewhere Tom Veelers was laughing, and then going WTF? He who moans loudest it seems

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Look again at it
    Sagan hit Cav with his lower body but its was not intentional and was unseen..as I said it was about their line ..so yes Cav was going down already

No DSQ for violence in my book ...no DSQ at all

I thought Sagan was ahead of him too for pretty much the entirety of it so not sure what he could be doing.

I also thought Cavendish changed his line enough to make it an inevitable when he realised he was running out of road.

This ....and it not like cycling can aford to lose sponsors like this

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/882290445627400192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Shocking decision IMO. I've watched the clip 30+ times and eventually I did a start stop start stop on it and it's 100% clear to me that Cavendish was already going down before Sagan through the elbow out.

If you look at their feet also, it looks to me like Cavendish got his pedals clashing off Sagan's feet?

By all means send the message that bumping is not going to be tolerated but to DQ Sagan is way over the top IMO.

Advertisement