Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 4: Mondorf-les-Bains-Vittel 207 km

Options

Comments

He was actually DQ'd on appeal by Dimension Data , having lost the points, time etc. initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

No definite opinion on it but it's not as if Sagan is out on his own veering across to the barriers. Every rider in the sprint veers right across. It happens so fast how can they know about direct intent? Not that 2 wrongs make a right but nothing like as damning as the crash caused by Cavendish in the Olympics on the track last year where he sent the Asian rider to hospital & downed Viviani also. What happened there? Zero sanction. Huge call to chuck Sagan from the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

No DSQ or fine or penalty here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above, Cavendish has form for being a bully if you ask me. When he gets it back he, or someone on his behalf kicks up an absolute stink. A supreme cyclist but a terrible sportsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Cav has a fractured shoulder apparently and may be out of the tour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cav has a fractured shoulder apparently and may be out of the tour too.

No fractures or breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Why wasn't Demare disqualified for the blatant switch left which saw Bouhanni checking to re balance?

Greipel use of the elbow on Bouhanni in Sundays stage was a nudge but no less effective in denying a rider his racing line.

I think dsq Sagan is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

lol didn't see the Jensie but we are both right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Here he is practicing his elbow technique opening a bottle of wine to celebrate yesterday's stage win (his latest post on insta) :D:D:D

421502.png

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Is there right of appeal for Sagan/Bora? Seems like a ruling that is inconsistent with what has been custom, rgdless of rights/wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

rtmie wrote: »
    Is there right of appeal for Sagan/Bora? Seems like a ruling that is inconsistent with what has been custom, rgdless of rights/wrongs.

Cavendish and team appealed Mark Renshaws DQ. So I am guessing Sagan can too.

The more I look it, the more I see Cavendish leaning in first with his head. He took a crap line, and for a space that wasn't there and there was not much way out for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Only watching the live recording now. Cav was definitely and purposely elbowed into the barrier. Now had it not been so close to the barrier he would have got away safely, but as a racing incident it was dangerous.

And secondly, it took a while for the doctors to get down to him from the finish line.

Edit, and as I post a news alert pops up on my phone that Sagan has been kicked off the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The initial punishment was enough, the DSQ is a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Sagan not guilty. Cavendish was reckless pure and simple

Proof:

https://streamable.com/t/j7gqb

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Only watching the live recording now. Cav was definitely and purposely elbowed into the barrier. Now had it not been so close to the barrier he would have got away safely, but as a racing incident it was dangerous.

And secondly, it took a while for the doctors to get down to him from the finish line.

Edit, and as I post a news alert pops up on my phone that Sagan has been kicked off the tour.

was he though...sigh

https://twitter.com/my_shoes93/status/882297255461617664

MPFGLB wrote: »

That annotated video, completely misrepresents what happened, what Sagan did was wrong and dangerous and entirely his fault, was it worthy of being DQ'd, not sure but its close.

Well I guess some people will see it whatever way they want

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Well I guess some people will see it whatever way they want

All you have to do is watch the video of what happened, Sagan tried to leap onto Demare's wheel without looking and took Cav out, the elbow didn't look good or help matters, he is 100% to blame which is why he immediately went to apologise no doubt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Inquitus wrote: »
    All you have to do is watch the video of what happened, Sagan tried to leap onto Demare's wheel without looking and took Cav out, the elbow didn't look good or help matters, he is 100% to blame which is why he immediately went to apologise no doubt...

It appears there's more than one opinion on this. I disagree with this view.

To be fair, any decent cyclist would head over to the team bus to see if Cav was ok. It doesn't mean he's guilty of anything.

The incident is far from black and white which makes the decision to DQ wrong. No-one can say it was done on purpose. Indeed, former pros have backed Sagan in saying he wasn't at fault for changing course.

My last contribution on this...and yes it is plain to me what happened ..no deliberate elbow, no DSQ should have happened and anyone can see what Sagan is like...he is like a big child , with little ego about wining and no way is he a dirty rider..as he said himself 'what is pressure'...no way is he dirty but as I said lots of people want to see what they want to see

https://twitter.com/dwuori/status/882304141078482946

Inquitus wrote: »

But Sagan was ahead of Cavendish at that point. Cav was going into the barrier and readjusted. He is not without fault here at all.

Weepsie wrote: »
    But Sagan was ahead of Cavendish at that point. Cav was going into the barrier and readjusted. He is not without fault here at all.

Cav had Demare's wheel and Sagan leapt onto it, changed line and didn't look, it's 100% Sagan's fault which is why he was penalised, DQ may be an over-reaction but Sagan is completely at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Weepsie wrote: »

Why do you think he was 'going into the barrier'? For a bit of a laugh, maybe? C-mon folks, open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Einstein? wrote: »
    Sagan not guilty. Cavendish was reckless pure and simple

Proof:

https://streamable.com/t/j7gqb

That is by far the most important footage of the incident & shows the dq of Sagan is wrong. People are always veering off line in sprints - as do all the sprinters on this occasion pretty much. Is that enough to dq them each time from the race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Catching up on the posts now. I don't agree with people saying Cav was on his way down before the elbow. And there seems to be an opinion that Sagan shouldn't be thrown out just because of who he is. Yes, he'll be missed, but who he is shouldn't be taking into consideration by the commissars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

neris wrote: »
    Cav down in the barriers looks like sagan elbowed in to them

Watching this on ITV 7.0 highlights. Sagan was so wrong there. He was even pushing and shoving before the line. Bad form!

Just hearing he is DQ. There was no need for the elbow. Hope Cav is ok. With his previous shoulder injury, it's not looking great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Dcully wrote: »
    Lets not forget Cavendish has dished it out many times before including headbutts, hes far from saint.

Hope hes ok though looks rough.

This is about Sagans riding today...glad you wish Cav well though!

Advertisement