Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 4: Mondorf-les-Bains-Vittel 207 km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The spin regarding the incosequential elbow - to Cav anyway - is a thing to behold.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cavendish out of the Tour - broken shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

DQ a bit harsh on Sagan but I do think it was his fault. It was a reckless manoeuvre at best. Flicking out the elbow maybe made up the judges minds and turned it into more than just a sprinting incident that we see all the time.

A shame because it takes away from a great victory for the French champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Article in Velonews on this: http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/commentary/jury-wrong-sagans-dsq_442744

"Why the jury is wrong on Sagan’s DSQ"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

The fact that Dimension Data is the TDF main technology sponsor has nothing to do with the decision at all.:rolleyes:

Einstein? wrote: »
    The fact that Dimension Data is the TDF main technology sponsor has nothing to do with the decision at all.:rolleyes:

I doubt it, TDF would have little trouble attracting others, CA technologies for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pelevin wrote: »
    Article in Velonews on this: http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/commentary/jury-wrong-sagans-dsq_442744

"Why the jury is wrong on Sagan’s DSQ"

They start off saying it happened at 70kph, and yet one of their arguments is that Cav unclipped at this speed because the crash was imminent? He's that good?

And we also have conspiracy theories starting now because of sponsors, despite Sagan being a massive draw?

It's really jumped shark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They start off saying it happened at 70kph, and yet one of their arguments is that Cav unclipped at this speed because the crash was imminent? He's that good?

And we also have conspiracy theories starting now because of sponsors, despite Sagan being a massive draw?

It's really jumped shark now.

Yes he is and you are wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I doubt it, TDF would have little trouble attracting others, CA technologies for starters.

To be fair. A team paying/receiving from TDF is a conflict of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

On my fist to 21st viewing it doesn't look like a DQ. Cavendish had no right to space coming from behind. It was only a bit of an elbow, dock Sagab some points.

But if he caused both crashes, different story.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Djoucer wrote: »
    To be fair. A team paying/receiving from TDF is a conflict of interest.

To be fair, this isn't anything new. Festina, CSC-Tiscali, are 2 I can think of off the top of my head that were both race sponsors and part of the race logistics, as DD are this year.

There are a lot of angles you could come at if you're looking for a conspiracy theory - Demare (ie: a French rider) for green? Cavendish being a brit, cookson, etc. But it's a waste of energy.

To be honest, if the original punishment had stood (relegation/points penalty) I think people would be talking about how that was unjust. Sagan did nothing wrong here. Cavendish, of all people, should be the first to realise that. He should also come out and publicly state that. All I've seen from him are comments to the effect of, 'we're no longer friends'. Cavendish is a great competitor, and will be remembered as such. On a human level, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I'm no expert but that seems a very harsh decision to disqualify Sagan.

1bryan wrote: »
    Cavendish, of all people, should be the first to realise that. He should also come out and publicly state that. All I've seen from him are comments to the effect of, 'we're no longer friends'. Cavendish is a great competitor, and will be remembered as such. On a human level, not so much.

Immediately after the race he did acknowledge it was part of racing, apart from the elbow which he'd like to ask Sagan about. In the heat of the moment I thought that was pretty human, he was pretty calm and measured given all that just happened and the pain he would have been in.

It wasn't him that said they're no longer friends, it was Greipel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I see recent enough posts mentioning 'the elbow'; it's a red herring - https://twitter.com/dwuori/status/882304141078482946
    Cav's brake hood runs up under Sagan's arm. Looks here like he lifts to disentangle - not an elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1bryan wrote: »
    All I've seen from him are comments to the effect of, 'we're no longer friends'. Cavendish is a great competitor, and will be remembered as such. On a human level, not so much.
    All I saw last night he was pretty much saying it was a racing incident and he and Sagan got one well, but he'd like an explanation of the elbow. About as "bad" as I saw him say was when told of the DQ he went with "the jury has to make it's own decision". I thought he was a lot more reasonable than I might have been with a broken shoulder, due to pain levels rather than a "human level".

As has been pointed out, it was Griepel who said they were no longer friends. I haven't seen any thing from Cav himself that anyone could have an issue with tbh! Everything I saw was "these things happen"/ "it's racing", but I guess people only see what they want to see to confirm their prejudice!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Immediately after the race he did acknowledge it was part of racing, apart from the elbow which he'd like to ask Sagan about. In the heat of the moment I thought that was pretty human, he was pretty calm and measured given all that just happened and the pain he would have been in.

It wasn't him that said they're no longer friends, it was Greipel.

ah, apologies. Crossed wires. In fairness to Greipel, he retracted that afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Macy0161 wrote: »
    All I saw last night he was pretty much saying it was a racing incident and he and Sagan got one well, but he'd like an explanation of the elbow. About as "bad" as I saw him say was when told of the DQ he went with "the jury has to make it's own decision". I thought he was a lot more reasonable than I might have been with a broken shoulder, due to pain levels rather than a "human level".

As has been pointed out, it was Griepel who said they were no longer friends. I haven't seen any thing from Cav himself that anyone could have an issue with tbh! Everything I saw was "these things happen"/ "it's racing", but I guess people only see what they want to see to confirm their prejudice!

And as has also been pointed out, Greipel took to twitter to basically retract that on viewing the footage in full after the race, and conceded he was wrong in his original assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Wasn't it Dimension Data who put in the protest after initial jury decision which was then changed to disqualification?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

johny33 wrote: »
    Wasn't it Dimension Data who put in the protest after initial jury decision which was then changed to disqualification?

The team, not the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

It comes down to the elbow really. If Sagan's elbow hadn't moved, no one would have even suggested DQ - Cav just went for a gap that wasn't there. I can't believe that people are suggesting that Sagan 'didn't hold his line' - its not a club league sprint ffs. If that rule was applied then half the field would be DQ'ed on every single TDF bunch sprint. Demare's swerve across Bouhanni (I think?) was 10 times more dangerous than anything Sagan did in terms of not holding his line. No one is suggesting that Demare be DQ'ed. To me it seems like Sagan moved his elbow as a reaction to contact from Cav - to keep his own balance. I think that the DQ is an incredibly harsh punishment. Its quite comparable to the Bouhanni Matthews incident in Paris-Nice last year (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/paris-nice-2016/stage-2/results/). Bouhanni was relegated to third in that case. I can't believe that what Sagan did was even as bad as what Bouhanni did in that sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Presume any result from Sagan's appeal against the DQ would need to be available pretty soon so that he would make the start line today if successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Weepsie wrote: »
    The team, not the company.

I know... that was meant as a reply to post saying that Cavendish didn't see anything behind it except an elbow (which looks like it never hit him...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Demare's swerve across Bouhanni (I think?)

To me it looked like the reason Sagan "did not hold his line" was because of this move by Demare, resulting in in Sagan squeezing Cav out, Cav then hitting Sagan and Sagan Flexing his Shoulders and Elbows in a attempt to keep balance.

dogsears wrote: »
    Presume any result from Sagan's appeal against the DQ would need to be available pretty soon so that he would make the start line today if successful?
    Think it's a late start today, as a short stage. Noon our time?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I knew a couple in Clare ...quite elderly ...who had each other up by the neck over Saipan ....not sure they even liked football

Is that the pair out of Father Ted?

johny33 wrote: »
    I know... that was meant as a reply to post saying that Cavendish didn't see anything behind it except an elbow (which looks like it never hit him...)
    But even if the team did appeal, it was hardly Cavendish himself driving it, as he was in the medical room getting stitches/ x rays. ITV coverage had him being told of the DQ on the steps of the medical truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Is there any historical precedent for an appeal overturning a DQ before the next day's race start? While Sagan definitely deserved his initial sanction, the DQ was down to the 'phantom elbow'. Surely cooler heads looking at it now might take a more ambiguous view.

oflahero wrote: »
    the DQ was down to the 'phantom elbow'.

Isn't that an assumption people are making, has the official reason been released? Like I said yesterday, immediately after the race there was at least one team manager saying he believed it was Sagan that caused the first crash too, before anyone would have had time to review the helicopter footage. Eurosport then reviewed it later that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Isn't that an assumption people are making, has the official reason been released? Like I said yesterday, immediately after the race there was at least one team manager saying he believed it was Sagan that caused the first crash too, before anyone would have had time to review the helicopter footage. Eurosport then reviewed it later that evening.

Well seeing as the jury president said he knew nothing about the earlier crash and that it was down to the manoeuvre in the sprint, no, it's not really an assumption:
    “The jury decided to disqualify Peter Sagan because of the very serious manoeuvre in the sprint. I didn’t know anything about the first crash [at 1.5km out], it’s only about this crash,” Marien continued.

Advertisement