Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying for 300Mbps, getting 50

Options
  • 04-07-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,
    We recently upgraded to a bundle which included a choice of broadband speeds.  We are now paying a premium for a 300Mbps connection, but are only getting 50Mbps at best.
     I was told a month ago in a live chat session on the eir website that a technician would come to rectify the problem but have not been contacted since.

We also chose an upgrade mobile phone as part of the bundle, this was never delivered and when I discussed it with the live chat agent, he told me we didn't order a phone.  It was not possible to choose a bundle without choosing a phone to upgrade as is still the case when ordering a bundle.

We  have already been billed fully for 2 months and we haven't received the goods/services that we are paying for.

I think we would be well within our rights to cancel the contract at this stage but I'd like to give Eir another chance to supply what was agreed.

Is there anything you can do to address these issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

GL scrappy wrote: »
    Hi,
    We recently upgraded to a bundle which included a choice of broadband speeds.  We are now paying a premium for a 300Mbps connection, but are only getting 50Mbps at best.
     I was told a month ago in a live chat session on the eir website that a technician would come to rectify the problem but have not been contacted since.

We also chose an upgrade mobile phone as part of the bundle, this was never delivered and when I discussed it with the live chat agent, he told me we didn't order a phone.  It was not possible to choose a bundle without choosing a phone to upgrade as is still the case when ordering a bundle.

We  have already been billed fully for 2 months and we haven't received the goods/services that we are paying for.

I think we would be well within our rights to cancel the contract at this stage but I'd like to give Eir another chance to supply what was agreed.

Is there anything you can do to address these issues?
    Hi GL scrappy,

Thanks for getting int ouch. I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your broadband service and with your mobile phone order. Can you PM me your account number and full name so I can look into this for you please?

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

I made an agreement with Eir roughly 3 months ago to pay a price for a service.  I have paid the price (being significantly overcharged on one occasion) but have not received the agreed service.
    To address this issue, I've contacted Eir by phone, by live chat on the website and by chatting to a representative on boards.  I have yet to have the issue dealt with by an Eir employee.
    I feel that if nothing is done by Eir, I would be within my rights to cancel the agreement and seek another provider.

I made an agreement with Eir roughly 3 months ago to pay a price for a service.  I have paid the price (being significantly overcharged on one occasion) but have not received the agreed service.
    To address this issue, I've contacted Eir by phone, by live chat on the website and by chatting to a representative on boards.  I have yet to have the issue dealt with by an Eir employee.
    I feel that if nothing is done by Eir, I would be within my rights to cancel the agreement and seek another provider.
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'm afraid we don't guarantee broadband speeds to any customer, we offer 'up to' speeds so if you're not receiving the full 300mb, you wouldn't be able to cancel your contract without early cancellation charges being applied to your account. 

Could you send me another PM with your account number and full name please?

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Are you getting this using wifi? What do you get if you attach a device by ethernet with cat5e or cat 6 cable (it must have a 1G port, not a 100Mb or 10Mb eternet port).
    If by wifi what wifi protocol is on your device? You need to connect to t0 the 5g not 2.4g ssid
    Protocol Frequency Maximum data rate
    802.11b 2.4 GHz 11 Mbps
    802.11g 2.4 GHz 54 Mbps
    802.11n 2.4 or 5 GHz 600 Mbps (theoretical)
    802.11ac 5 GHz 1.3 Gbps

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/

eir: Adam wrote: »
     I'm afraid we don't guarantee broadband speeds to any customer, we offer 'up to' speeds so if you're not receiving the full 300mb, you wouldn't be able to cancel your contract without early cancellation charges being applied to your account. 
    I am aware that the packages are sold as "up to" a certain speed, that does suggest that speed is potentially attainable.  The fact that you give potential customers the options of "up to" 150, 300 and 1000 suggests that if I choose the 300 package, I may see speeds better than 150 at some time or in certain conditions. 
    If I had chosen the 150 package, would my connection be half the speed it is now?
    If I wanted to upgrade to the 1000 package, would my speeds improve?

I don't want to cancel my contract, its hassle I don't need, but I feel I am paying extra for something I'm not getting.
    jd wrote: »
    Are you getting this using wifi? What do you get if you attach a device by ethernet with cat5e or cat 6 cable (it must have a 1G port, not a 100Mb or 10Mb eternet port).
    Thanks for your input, Speed tests were done wired with cat5e cable with everything else disconnected including wifi devices, these gave results around 50Mb/s.

• Advertisement

eir: Adam wrote: »
     I'm afraid we don't guarantee broadband speeds to any customer, we offer 'up to' speeds so if you're not receiving the full 300mb, you wouldn't be able to cancel your contract without early cancellation charges being applied to your account. 
    I am aware that the packages are sold as "up to" a certain speed, that does suggest that speed is potentially attainable.  The fact that you give potential customers the options of "up to" 150, 300 and 1000 suggests that if I choose the 300 package, I may see speeds better than 150 at some time or in certain conditions. 
    If I had chosen the 150 package, would my connection be half the speed it is now?
    If I wanted to upgrade to the 1000 package, would my speeds improve?

I don't want to cancel my contract, its hassle I don't need, but I feel I am paying extra for something I'm not getting.
    jd wrote: »
    Thanks for your input, Speed tests were done wired with cat5e cable with everything else disconnected including wifi devices, these gave results around 50Mb/s.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to check what speeds you'd receive if you avail of one of our other FTTH packages. If you send me your details in a PM I will look into the speed issue that you're currently experiencing.

- Adam

Hi Adam

I've just resent the pm with my account details.  Could you also look into why I'm being charged a €10 service charge every month on top of my bundle?

This is an example of what I was told by EIR representatives before I chose my upgrade bundle;

General Info
    Chat start time  Apr 10, 2017 10:37:19 AM EST Chat end time  Apr 10, 2017 11:02:05 AM EST Duration (actual chatting time)  00:24:46 Operator  supraja

Chat Transcript
    info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us.  An agent will be with you shortly.
    info: You are now chatting with supraja.
    supraja:
    [ltr]Welcome to the eir Sales webchat, my name is supraja how can I help you today?[/ltr]

me: hi, i have a few questions about upgrading to fibre broadband
    supraja:
    [ltr]Sure, i will help you:)[/ltr]

supraja:
    [ltr]Can i have that questions please?[/ltr]

me: your website lists bundles with speeds of "up to " 150,300 0r 1000 Mb/s, are we guaranteed any lower number that speeds may drop to
    supraja:
    [ltr]Yes, that will be speed you get.[/ltr]

me: at the moment we have "up to" 8Mb/s but rarely get over 3
    supraja:
    [ltr]If you upgrade to fibre.[/ltr]

supraja:
    [ltr]Once fibre came, then the speed also good.[/ltr]

me: so if i choose the 150 package, We will have 150Mb/s constant?
    supraja:
    [ltr]Yes.[/ltr]

me: if we choose to add eir tv, will we need cables from the router to each TV in the house?
    supraja:
    [ltr]No need.[/ltr]

me: does the eir tv box work by wifi?
    supraja:
    [ltr]Yes.[/ltr]

supraja:
    [ltr]Thank you for chatting with us today. [/ltr]

supraja:
    [ltr]Thank you so much for your time and patience, Have an Excellent days ahead :)
    [/ltr]

supraja:
    [ltr]Bye :)[/ltr]

info: Thank you for chatting with us.

Hi Adam

I've just resent the pm with my account details.  Could you also look into why I'm being charged a €10 service charge every month on top of my bundle?
    Hi,

I've received your PM and I'll be back in touch with an update.

- Adam

I'm still getting fobbed off by EIR here, why won't they send a technician to my house to test my speeds?  I'm still paying a premium for faster speeds and not receiving them. 

EIR employees told me I would get faster speeds as shown in the quotes above, were they lying in order to get me to sign up?

• Advertisement

I'm still getting fobbed off by EIR here, why won't they send a technician to my house to test my speeds?  I'm still paying a premium for faster speeds and not receiving them. 

EIR employees told me I would get faster speeds as shown in the quotes above, were they lying in order to get me to sign up?
    I have responded to your latest PM about this.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Lads look at all this money spent on rebranding the website, logo, apps and killing the Meteor brand. If only the higher ups sorted out their infamous customer service instead people wouldn't be avoiding Eir unless they had no other option. Ah well :D

Advertisement