Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 battery replacement?

Options
  • 04-07-2017 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Have a 128gb iPhone 6 that the battery is 83% consumed on. I have to permanently have a battery pack on it, which is workable but bulky.

Apple are quoting me €89 to replace it, I could get it done third party for about €60.

Anyone have any experience of the third party ones? Is it likely to die quickly? The issue is the amount of time I'd be without a phone. Up to ten days with Apple or walk in for TP.

Also is Apple likely to replace the entire unit with a completely new (refurbished) phone? - I've had he screen replaced with TP but the mute button is gone also so a full replacement would probably be acceptable.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get a third party battery for a lot cheaper than that. 5-10 euro if you are prepared to install it yourself. Quality is a lucky dip. The battery will either be used genuine or knock off. You can only get new genuine from Apple. Afaik they will replace the entire phone with a refurbished unit. Not sure where you stand if there's existing issues with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

You can get a third party battery for a lot cheaper than that. 5-10 euro if you are prepared to install it yourself. Quality is a lucky dip. The battery will either be used genuine or knock off. You can only get new genuine from Apple. Afaik they will replace the entire phone with a refurbished unit. Not sure where you stand if there's existing issues with the phone.

I've replaced one myself in a 4 & 5 before, both degraded badly within nine months which is why I'm hesitant to buy online again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OU812 wrote: »
    I've replaced one myself in a 4 & 5 before, both degraded badly within nine months which is why I'm hesitant to buy online again.

Yeah my experience too, but the shop batteries are no better. You are just paying for them to install it for you.

I guess I might be going down the Apple route so. Wanted to hold off for the new one but I don't think it'll make it. I suppose it'll improve the resume value a little.

Now I need to find somewhere I can hire a phone for two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hire a phone? It's not the early 90s any more :)

You should be able to buy a cheap Android smart phone for less than 50 to do you, or a bare phone for less than 15, to tide you over.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Hire a phone? It's not the early 90s any more :)

You should be able to buy a cheap Android smart phone for less than 50 to do you, or a bare phone for less than 15, to tide you over.

It's the hassle of getting one to fit the SiM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

OU812 wrote: »
    It's the hassle of getting one to fit the SiM

Any network shop will give you a new sim that can break down into mini/micro/nano sim. You break it down to a micro for most Android phones, then you can break that down into a nano when you get it back.

Advertisement