Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raids on main motor insurance providers over alleged cartel activity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Surprised it hasn't happened before now tbh.

I do think it's more of a lip service exercise though as in they have to be seen to be doing something.

The crux of the cartel argument is that insurers have been signalling price rises to eachother by doing press releases.

I doubt there would be much actual evidence of this kind of activity (if that's indeed what has been going on) to be found.

Nonetheless, it's a welcome move and hopefully something good will come out if it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A window dressing exercise I expect - the authorities look pro-active, the insurers get to say "how dare you!" and then give us a load of guff about how they are delivering value within the constraints of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A window dressing exercise I expect - the authorities look pro-active, the insurers get to say "how dare you!" and then give us a load of guff about how they are delivering value within the constraints of the market.

What way do you want this thing dealt with? Investigated by the appropriate body or rant on Boards that the Government is doing nothing

I tell you want I'd like - third party insurance cover taken out of the private sector entirely. But I can whistle as there are too many vested interests for that to ever happen.

Has the Competition Authority ever enforced change for the better? Can't think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Irish insurance companies to announce an increase in premiums to cover the unexpected costs of defending increased premiums before the European Courts. It is expected that a small increase in premiums will follow any prosecution to cover the costs of any restitution payments due to consumers. With an increase in premiums to follow soon afterwards to absorb the resulting riot damage to our offices. This will hopefully minimise the increase in premiums due to cover the costs of the appeal which will enable companies to minimise further decreases.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

I tell you want I'd like - third party insurance cover taken out of the private sector entirely. But I can whistle as there are too many vested interests for that to ever happen.

Has the Competition Authority ever enforced change for the better? Can't think of anything.

Poland used to have non-privatised insurance. Did not work.

These are the EC Competition guys. They dont need to do any window dressing in Ireland. The fact that they even spent time on this industry in Ireland instead of the likes of Google etc shows that they feel there is a worthwhile target for them.

Also they operate under European law so this means they have no fears about their targets lawering up and bogging them down in the Irish court system, as would happen to Irish regulators in a similar situation..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Poland used to have non-privatised insurance. Did not work.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand all have it and it works fine. I can't ever see it coming in here but it is how it should be done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Canada, Australia and New Zealand all have it and it works fine. I can't ever see it coming in here but it is how it should be done

Didn't know this. Not against it though.

Insurance Companies would love that, leaving them to compete for the own damage fire and theft cover, a known and predictable cost.

• Advertisement

Quite, they could cook up er develop any number of niche products and turn a decent profit I suspect with the third party costs lifted off them.

Quite, they could cook up er develop any number of niche products and turn a decent profit I suspect with the third party costs lifted off them.

And if you didn't like the price or offering you are not obliged to buy it

Advertisement