Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Exterior Front Door

Options
  • 04-07-2017 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking to replace our front door and surround before the winter comes as our existing one is not well insulated and looks a bit wrecked. Our house is old and red brick so looking to go down the wooden door route.

I have had one quote back from a company at over €6,500 - is this insane? This includes the door (iroko/Teak?), surround, new arched double glazed glass, installation and disposal of old door.

If anyone could provide me with any tips or PM me any recommendations that would be great. We are in Dulbin.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Was just about to post a similar thread as currently getting quotes for a new front door also and not sure what the expected price should be.

I am Tipperary based. Our door is a double door so is far from standard but got a quote of €3,160 for installation of door (with new frame)+ double glazed glass either side and disposal of old door. Door is wood but not sure of exact type.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Thanks HcksawJimDuggan

I think the quote I got IS insane so I'm in the process of getting others.

I was thinking it would be somewhere in the region of €2 - €3,000 or thereabouts as I don't mind paying a bit extra for a good job.

Good luck with the door :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 It2guy

Hi

We are restoring an old period house, side glass panels, fan light, solid teak 54mm door and
    frame with aluminium threshold, an under-door draught seal, multipoint locking system, including deliver and installation, primed only @ € 5,500.

so your price isn't far off, comparing city prices to down the country.

thanks It2guy

Is that the best price you got?

Hi

Had I cheaper price, but didn't include locking system or install.
    Guy that's making the door is making timber sash windows and window shutters for us aswell.
    so handier to have a guy do the lot for us.

I'll pm you he's details if you want?
    He is based in Galway but does a good bit of work on listed houses in Dublin.

• Advertisement

That would be great It2guy

The quote we got did include everything too - I was just so shocked as my friend got hers done a few years ago for around the €2,000 mark and that included everything. Unfortunately the guy moved away so can't use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are they VAT inclusive prices. ? A 23% rate is simply greedy and puts off a lot of home builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Is the rate not 13.5%?

Also, you can reclaim the VAT through the HRI provided there is a minimum spend of €5,000.

yes 13.5%

mines is 13.5% too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donie_d

Hi It2guy
    We're currently getting prices for replacing front door and surround in Kimmage,
    Looking for someone that has a lot of experience replacing timber fronts and surrounds.
    Would you be able to PM details of persons you used.

Thks
    Donie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seoulone

Hi It2guy

Would you be able to PM me the details please?

Thanks

Advertisement