Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaweed as fertiliser. Wash the salt off or not?

Options
  • 04-07-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I live far from the sea but circumstances find me on the coast this afternoon so I'm hoping to collect seaweed for the garden.
    What I want to know is, is it necessary to wash off the salt or not? I've heard arguments for and against this in the past but I'm never sure which argument is accurate.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Unless it is a massive amount and something you will be repeating regularly, you don't need to wash it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd just point out that collecting seaweed from the foreshore is illegal.

It's covered by the Foreshore Act 1933 (amend 1998) and the Fisheries Act 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

No its not,have a look at the actual law, it states that sand/stones/seaweed etc can be taken from the beach once the use of machinery is not used.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

sarah88 wrote: »
    No its not,have a look at the actual law, it states that sand/stones/seaweed etc can be taken from the beach once the use of machinery is not used.

Which piece of legislation are you quoting?

sarah88 wrote: »

I know the Act very well. It refers to all removal and not just by mechanical means. A foreshore licence is required for any removal of any material, including beach sand and seaweed. I have been involved in cases concerned with seaweed removal in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

It's covered by the Foreshore Act 1933 (amend 1998) and the Fisheries Act 1993.

Not entirely true. Collecting seaweed without a licence is illegal.

I applied for a pre-approved one-day non-commercial retrospective seaweed permit from the relevant local authority which is governed by their bye-laws. Under this permit I was limited to only 150kg of seaweed.

It's free, but there is a €6.35 administration fee.

Gautama wrote: »

I applied for a pre-approved one-day non-commercial retrospective seaweed permit from the relevant local authority which is governed by their bye-laws. Under this permit I was limited to only 150kg of seaweed.

I thought that went without saying, as the Act states so.

Well done on doing it properly.

As for rinsing the seaweed. Don't, as rinsing it rinses out the other essential nutrients as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Niniwx1

Gautama, which local authority gave you a seaweed permit? I'm looking to get some for my garden also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know the Act very well. It refers to all removal and not just by mechanical means. A foreshore licence is required for any removal of any material, including beach sand and seaweed. I have been involved in cases concerned with seaweed removal in the past.

Are people likely to be prosecuted for taking a few bags of seaweed? Serious question, I've never heard of any cases myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Zzippy wrote:
    Are people likely to be prosecuted for taking a few bags of seaweed? Serious question, I've never heard of any cases myself...

Been picking seaweed for years n never had any bother. When it's drifted ashore it's only going to rot away.

Curly head wrote: »
    Been picking seaweed for years n never had any bother. When it's drifted ashore it's only going to rot away.

That washed up seaweed is quite an important source of food for many invertebrates and shorebirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm using liquid seaweed fertiliser for the first time this year and it's great stuff. Really see plants come alive after using it. It's not very expensive. I think i picked mine up in heatons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Didn't the Bull McAbe use seaweed as a fertiliser in the movie the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

During the 1960s the practice was still common in Connemara of the whole family going down to the seashore with a cart, in Spring, to gather seaweed which was spread on the potato fields. No license, as far as I know, and no rinsing.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    During the 1960s the practice was still common in Connemara of the whole family going down to the seashore with a cart, in Spring, to gather seaweed which was spread on the potato fields. No license, as far as I know, and no rinsing.

There was an exception where inherited rights to seaweed collection existed which allowed individuals collect, harvest and remove seaweed inherited as part of that individual's estate. It has more or less died out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There was an exception where inherited rights to seaweed collection existed which allowed individuals collect, harvest and remove seaweed inherited as part of that individual's estate. It has more or less does out now though.

Now we just give the rights way wholesale to multinational companies. Which makes a mockery of prosecuting people for taking a few bags for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Been gathering seaweed from the harbour for years now, against the law is just a load of bull, I'm sure the council/guards have better things to be doing. I always soak it in fresh water overnight and then chop it up before putting in the garden, brings out some fantastic colours and seems to attract more bees and butterflies than any of my neighbours gardens and we mostly have the same blooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Niniwx1

Gautama wrote: »

Gautama, which local authority gave you a seaweed permit? I'm looking to get some for my garden also?

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Been gathering seaweed from the harbour for years now, against the law is just a load of bull, I'm sure the council/guards have better things to be doing. I always soak it in fresh water overnight and then chop it up before putting in the garden, brings out some fantastic colours and seems to attract more bees and butterflies than any of my neighbours gardens and we mostly have the same blooms.

It may well be down the priority list but I'm simply stating that the law does, in fact, exist.

It still works better if not rinsed or soaked before use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

soaking it never failed for me in over 30+ years...also use the wash for the lawn.I suppose its down to preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Didn't the Bull McAbe use seaweed as a fertiliser in the movie the field?
    Yes, but that was back in the days when the State's law enforcement assets were mainly concerned with preventing a re-run of the Civil War, and prosecuting bicycle thieves:)

Advertisement